Which way is the right way

In the hole or the loop?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. In the hole or the loop?

• In the hole
    • In the loop
    • Either or neither (please explain)

So I have a question. Do you crochet in the loop or in the hole of the crochet? Heres a picture to show you what i mean. I'm a lefty so it may be going backward to you. The last on on the top row I put in the loop, the others prior to it I put in the hole. Which way is correct? I've been wondering for a while. Thanks.

jenn.jpg

I think the question you are asking , regards a pattern.

In the granny square pattern, I bring the hook into the hole to continue the pattern.

Then when doing a slip stitch, I crochet into the loop parts to continue.

If following a pattern, you would need to follow it, to get it to come out the way it is pictured.

But if you are doing something simple, say a scarf or a blanket, and you continue your method throughout the project, then it would all balance.

I fiqured out a method when I do granny squares for the corners that works for me.

Is it correct ? I don't know. I just know it works for me, and I use it :)

For most patterns, unless they say otherwise, it is assumed you are crocheting in the loops formed by the stitch below. Hence, how you can do back-loop only and front loop only. When doing a front or back post stitch, that's when you stitch in the hole. I also had an afghan where you changed colors every row and stitched in the hole. It made the colors blend a bit. Also, by stitching in the loop, you'll ensure that you'll have the exact same number of stitches.

I think in order to answer the question a little more information is needed, for instance what it is your making, what the pattern calls for...most patterns are very specific about how they want the stitch worked. Hope that helps a little.

What you have been calling the hole is actually crocheting between the stitches.

What you are calling crocheting into the loop is the most common way to crochet. There are variations of that, front lp, Back lp, the list goes on. But that is the way the basic crochet stitch is meant to be done.

For most patterns, unless they say otherwise, it is assumed you are crocheting in the loops formed by the stitch below. Hence, how you can do back-loop only and front loop only. When doing a front or back post stitch, that's when you stitch in the hole.
What you have been calling the hole is actually crocheting between the stitches.

What you are calling crocheting into the loop is the most common way to crochet. There are variations of that, front lp, Back lp, the list goes on. But that is the way the basic crochet stitch is meant to be done.

I agree with them.

I think in order to answer the question a little more information is needed, for instance what it is your making

I'm reading the orginal post as that is how she makes everything and the photo is just a sampler or maybe scarf to show us what she does.

I could be wrong.

:)

What everybody above me said. Crocheting in the hole, or the space between the stitches, is a specific pattern variation.

Many new crocheters have trouble with stitch count consistency; I suspect this "hole" technique, well, wouldn't help.

I hate to use the word 'correct', because variations make lovely new stitch patterns, but let's say common, everyday, standard stitches are made by inserting the hook under the top two loops of the stitch in the row below.

I really couldn't "see" it :thinkwith your lefty pose - oops, my bad :eek

so i flipped it so it would make sense to me.

jenn2.jpg

It looks fine to me. with sc, the hole and the loops tend to be the same thing...more or less.

As all above have said, unless specified I would crochet in the loop, not the hole (between stitches). Something to consider that was not mentioned is that if you are crocheting in the hole, your gauge will be different than if you are crocheting in the loop. Your piece will not have the height it would if you were crocheting in the loop. It may be minimal, but in some instances that small measurement would make a difference.

As all above have said, unless specified I would crochet in the loop, not the hole (between stitches). Something to consider that was not mentioned is that if you are crocheting in the hole, your gauge will be different than if you are crocheting in the loop. Your piece will not have the height it would if you were crocheting in the loop. It may be minimal, but in some instances that small measurement would make a difference.

Thanks for the information about the height difference. I was wondering why I always came up short in the height when I was doing a pattern.

I dont think you were doing anything incorrectly by crocheting into the "hole".

True, most people crochet into the loops, but if crocheting into the hole was working for you, there's nothing wrong with it...it's just another variation on where to stick the hook.

When I first started to crochet afghans, I crocheted into the back loops only. I liked the ridge that it made. But, I also knew that I could crochet into the loops and wouldnt get the ridge, or I could crochet inbetween the stitches and get another neat look to the crocheted fabric.

I dont think it's a wrong way to crochet, if you were getting crocheted fabric, and you liked the look, there's nothing wrong with it. Just like there's no wrong way to hold the hook as long as you get crocheted fabric and you like what you get.

Archived