Pattern review: cotton swiffer cover

Here is the pattern:

http://alicethekamel.blogspot.com/2007/09/crochet-swiffer-shrug.html

i'm not going to post a picture of mine because it looks just like the one on the pattern website. i'm too lazy to take a picture.

anyway....it was super easy to make. i have a swiffer wet. and it fit it perfectly. i have only used it dry so far and we love it. we have 2 dogs and whole house hardwood floors. it picked up dust and fur under our furniture and beds. it worked just as good as the real swiffer pads. so i'm going to make a few more to have on hand. and i'm going to make a few for christmas gifts too.

i'm glad that i'm not putting more trash in landfills and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the refill pads all the time. they are really expensive!

if you are a beginner, try this one. it's really easy.

I AM going to make a few of these. I have your same problem: two dogs and hardwood and tile floors throughout my house. I am constantly buying swiffer pads, can't live without them. A few of these to throw in the wash is a GREAT idea! And the praise from someone who's made and used them is appreciated!

Thanks for the link!

no problem! sharing the wealth :)

oh i forgot to mention...if your floors are clean but just furry, we just vacuumed off the fur off the pad, and it came right off the pad. so we didn't even need to wash it. so that's even less work for me :)

This is great! I too hate to fill up the landfills and think this is a great solution. I actually never would have gotten a swiffer, specifically b/c of the trash issue, but I "inherited" one from my mother.

How well do these hold up? Since they are made of cotton, do you have any issues with shrinking?

Thanks for posting this! I have some Peaches n Creme at home just begging for this pattern. :D

I just finished it yesterday and have only used it once so i don't know.

but....i use my dishrags every day (made of the same cotton yarn) and they hold up great. a dish rag will last me about a year. so since i don't use my swiffer every day as much as a dishrag, i would assume it would last a long time.

it took me about less than an hour to make this, so even if it just lasts a few months, think of how much money you saved from buying those refill pads. and also, less landfill.

We just put laminate floors in a house we recently bought for my inlaws to winter in and this will be perfect for there. I have a Swiffer that I haven't been using in my 5th wheel, so I'll make a few of these and leave them there. Thanks so much for the link and the review.

Thank you for doing this review. It is a good idea to share information about a pattern here. It helps people who are considering using it

I have carpets almost everywhere in my little apt so I don't need floor swiffers. Do these covers work for the swiffer dusters? I count on the little bits to get into crevices and such while dusting.

Thanks for the review! I have had these on my to-do list for a couple of weeks and will be making several of them very soon for Christmas gifts. Also, I am going to try to make the pattern a little bigger for my mom since she has the Swiffer "Max" that has a larger head on it.

Sara

I was wondering...

I do not have a swiffer, but I do have a wet/jet vac by bissel. Has anyone seen a pattern out there for those? :think It's the same idea, it has the pads like the swiffer, but it also has a section underneath for the vac, and I'm thinking that this swiffer pad pattern might block that? The good thing about bissel wet/jet, the pads are washable, but I only have 2 and it'd be cheaper to make my own, plus easier to get them, as I think I have to go online to get them.

Archived