afghan in a few months?? How???

So I was poking around on Ravelry today and looking at the Soft Waves ripple pattern. I've been working on mine since June (although I did put it down for a while). Some of those people are doing it in a month or 2 months!! HOW do you do it?

It takes me an hour to work across one row (It's full size bed sized). I don't think I crochet crazy slow or anything, maybe I do?

My average time for an afghan, unless it is very intricate or involves a lot of sewing like a quilt afghan, is about two to three weeks. Something that's large enough to cover a full-sized bed would probably take me more along the lines of 3 to 4 weeks. I'm not fast when I crochet, because I want to be sure to keep my stitches even, but I put in about four or five hours a night between my various projects, and my boss doesn't have a problem with me crocheting at work, so many nights I get in another three to four hours while I'm at work. So I guess you could say that I get to put in a lot more time with my yarn than someone else who works full time might.

Elle

it really depends on the pattern, i have made afghans that take me a long time to crochet, say 3 to 5 weeks and then have made them in as little as 3 days depending as i said, if its a simple pattern and how much i crochet, in my younger years(makes me seem really older not) i could croceht for 8 to 10 hours straight, now am lucky to get in 3 or 4 on great day:(:(getting old sucks

It takes me months to make a full size afghan as well. One that fits on a queen size bed minimum.

I know a lot of people who make afghans are making lapghan, or throw size ones, and they are much quicker. Try and take into accounts people's measurements when you look at their time frames and you'll probably find they're not so different to you over the same size afghan.

Different afghans take longer to make.

Last year, I made a Cathedral Rose Afghan (appx nine feet across) as a Christmas present for my in-laws. I made that my only project for Christmas. I started in mid-September, and was weaving in ends on Christmas Eve. I started a Cathedral Rose Afghan for my husband in January as a part time project. Looks like it will be a Christmas present...for 2008.

However, I can make much smaller afghans in less time. One of my graphghans (which is similar in size to a baby afghan); I can make in about three weeks.

How intricate is your rows? I have an afghan which became an UFO. Each row took about 45 minutes to crochet...a combination of every stitch from single crochet to double treble crochet.

However

It really does depend on a lot of things, as mentioned. When my DH & I were first dating, I crocheted what accidentally ended up being a queen-sized 'ghan. But I was using 3 strands of yarn (he's a Broncos fan, 2 blue 1 orange) and worked on it literally in bed every night! LOL It was the only place big enough! :lol But it took me....a couple of months? I've done a twin-sized 2-strand afghan in 2-3 weeks, and currently I have limited time so it's taking me over a month to do 2 flannel-ghans, but the first one I did only took 1 week.

So many factors...so little time! :lol

I think you're probably doing just fine. :)

If you want a fast afghan, look into some Q hook patterns. P hook ones are pretty fast, too...but Q is great for whipping out a fast ghan.

I'm currently kicking myself for starting a Christmas present afghan with an I hook and all SC. :eek

I figure I have to do at least 7 rows a day, and I'm already behind - yesterday I only did 6! :lol

It helps to listen to an audiobook or watch TV while I work on it - it's a simple stitch, but the overall project is going to take some time to complete.

I'm cooking very simple meals until I'm done - we had take out last night, and tonight will be shrimp etouffee. Nothing that requires hours of time in the kitchen until this project is complete! :no

It kinda depends for me. When you start one at the beginning of November and have that one and another to finish to be shipped out for Christmas....well, lets just say that gives you a lot of motivation to get it done! I promise, I think I'm taking every single minute available to work on it....whew! Good luck getting yours done, and don't sweat it if it takes a while. Enjoy crocheting if you don't have a deadline!:yes:c9

I have no idea how long it takes me to complete a large afghan because I have never finished one. :) I do have several that I have been working on periodically for a couple of years. I always seem to get bored with them rather quickly and then another more exciting (and smaller) project comes along. Maybe I will get them done some day!

Sara

i agree with what people have said here, i once finished a queen sized bed afghan in 4 days (was driving from california to yellowstone and then back) but it was a super simple pattern, just shell repeats over and over. but it has a lot to do, what time you have to spare, how much you work on it, how fast you crochet, how difficult/intricate it is.

I would say that my average is about four months. I work full time, go to school full time, and work on other projects in between. I don't do any deadline crocheting so I dont worry about it (well except for testing patterns and the square swap I am in).

Archived