What size is a lap-ghan??

happy stitcher

Question

I'm considering adding something to my list of things to do before Christmas....but before I do, I'd like to know what size you all consider to be lap-ghan size.

I don't want to get carried away - not this close to Christmas.

So please help me decide whether to start this project by telling me what size you think is good for sitting on the couch and watching TV, or laying over the foot of your bed, etc. NOT bed-size, which seems to be what most of my afghans for adults wind up being.

I don't want to be all stressed out about whether I made it big enough, just because it isn't as big as I usually make....

Thank you!!! :manyheart

10 answers to this question

I just checked a couple places and one said lapghan size was 28"x34" and another said 49"x46". Guess there is a pretty big range so you could make it what ever size works for you. I would think it would be more on the order of the first one, as anything bigger would be more like a "throw". Just my $0.02.

Sara

I usually use 12 inch squares for these so I make them 36 by 48 inches. that is 3 squares by 4 squares. Whenever this question comes up that seems to be the consensus around here.

Of course, you then add a bit of a border but I only think of the 12 squares when asked.

I've made several lapghans for friends that did not want full size afghans. No one is in a wheelchair so while lapghans may have started out for wheelchairs I don't think they are used exclusively for them now. Mine have all been 'nine patches' basically mine have just been shrunk down versions of full size afghans. I've even given some as baby blankets! :yes

Laps come in all sizes. I collect them for a long term care center for those recovering from Traumatic Brain Injury, and we use all sizes. Some people just need something over their lap when sitting, others want their legs covered, too.

Archived