Join Us for the "ME" CAL!

judianne

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judy, glad to hear you are feeling better.

Carol, 100 squares:eek WOW. Can't wait to see pictures of it and of the shawl.

Thanks for the kind words about my ghans :hug

I started another ghan for me today. I am using Homespun. This is the homespun I got from Carol :hug. I couldn't decide what to make with it, and then it smacked me upside the head that it is the perfect color to go with my new couch that I will be getting soon (I hope). I have 9 rows done so far.

I have to tell this story.....I have been taking Hilly to therapy twice a week for 4 weeks now. Every time we go, I take something to crochet so I am not bored silly for an hour each time. All of the therapists (even the guys) are interested in what I am making. Then they finally realized that every time we go, I am working on something different. I told them I just take small projects since my ghans are too big to work on there. They have seen me make scarves, dishcloths, and some trial things I've been working on. They were all amazed at how fast I can make things. Today I took a rug I'm making for Hilly (I took it Monday and they asked me to bring it back so they could see the progress on it) and the new homespun ghan. When we were leaving, they asked me to bring in the finished ghan on Monday since they watched me crochet 7 rows of it today and said that at that rate it would be done by then :lol

Judy - I would imagine that the instructor was just reducing risk for the school. Clinic settings often are overly conservative. HB adjusts women of a "certain" age that is much higher than yours! He's got little old ladies in their 80's and 90's...

That's true...also DS doesn;t have an xray machine on site...yet...so he has to get them done either by the Dr he shares space with or they bring in their own. You know how expensive those things are...and all the regulations involved in putting one in.

I never had any xrays done - all I know is I hear crunching in my back or neck sometimes when I move a certain way:lol

Stuff is settling...and also heading south:lol:lol:lol

Mel, I love that you're educating the world about crocheting! I sometimes bring a small project to my WW meeting if I think I'll have too much down time before the meeting...I bring stuff wherever I can get away with it!:D

Hi Ladies!

It has been a while since I posted here. I have been working on a baby RR for my supervisor's new baby. I have also been on partial bed rest. I have something seriously wrong with my back. I think it is a pinched nerve in my lower back. I have severe pain in my lower back and right leg along with numbness, tingling and a burning sensation. I tried to work Friday and Saturday, lasted my entire shift on Friday because they gave me an easier position, but Saturday I only lasted 3 hours. And to be able to work (or walk for that matter) I have to use Hilly's crutches because it hurts too much to put full weight on my leg, plus it feels like it may buckle when walking. I can't sit up straight..I have to lean to the left or the pain is too much to take (and I have an extremely high tolerance to pain....I gave birth 3 times with no pain meds whatsoever)! I am waiting to hear back from the Doctor now. This started Thursday and I thought I was getting better yesterday, but woke up today, went to get out of bed and almost fell. Getting old Ain't for sissies :rolleyes

On a good note, I got my new couch delivered today. It is so pretty, and my ripple ghan looks great on it. It is so comfy, I took a 2 hour nap on it this morning :lol

I hope everyone is in good health and is hooking away!

Here is a picture of my new Big Comfy Couch. Sorry about the rear end shot of Andy. they insisted on being in every picture, and this was the best of the bunch :lol

th_MYNewCouch-1.jpg

clickable

Mel, your afghan looks beautiful on your new couch.

Hope you get the back thing straightened out soon. I've had issues with my back since last spring, so I sort of feel your pain. Mine was a pinched nerve also, but yours sounds much worse than mine was. Walking was the only thing I could do without pain! I remember waking up at night and wanting to turn over, but not doing it because it hurt too much. Muscle relaxants, pain pills and physical therapy were what the treatment ended up being. I didn't realize until then how many things you use your back for!

Is Hilly doing well enough to help you out some?

Thanks Cindy. I love how the ghan matches so well.

I am taking muscle relaxers and pain pills right now, but unless I take the heavy duty pain pills, nothing is helping much. I am about to try sitting on the heating pad to see if that will help (on low, of course).

Hilly is doing much better and is helping me out quite a bit. We have had a heck of a time getting the right brace for her knee. It turns out she was allergic to the neoprene in her brace, and had bumps all over her leg along with big welts on the back and sides of her knee. We are waiting on the final brace to get in since they had to special order it. We were going to be getting it today, but I had to cancel her therapy since I can't sit that long to drive her there, sit for an hour, then drive home.

Dusty is home from college this week, and he came over and moved furniture to make room for the couch, and to help clean space for the new washer and dryer I am getting tomorrow. Yipee, no more trips to the laundromat. Everyone is helping out this ole' gal.

Thanks Judy. The doctor's office just called. I will be going to see him on Wednesday. It usually takes at least a week to get in to see him, so I am so thankful there was an opening for me. If I would have had to wait any longer, I don't know what I would have done. Now, I just have to get through 1 partial day of work tomorrow then I can rest and do nothing but crochet and lay around.

Oh Mel, that sounds so painful. Hope everything turns out well for you. Love the couch, the style is great (could be cause it is the same style mine is, :lol , except for the color. That is so nice to be able to do your wash without having to go out. The washer and dryer I use is across an alley from my kitchen door, but it is still a hassle in the cold weather.

Well I have 5 purses made, just need linings and some need zippers. Hope that will all be done by Weekend.

The weather was so beautiful today, just like spring. Even got DH to use his portable unit and drive to bank, PO, Kmart (got some clothes that were on clearance), and I hinted at eating lunch out, and he surprised me and drove down south to Lancaster. Of course while there I just had to stop at Ollie's and buy some yarn, :lol.

They had Lion Brand Magic Yarn (self striping sock yarn, superwash) for only 1.99 a skein, so I got 4 of them. And two of the 99 cent fancy fur in colors I wanted for some Ami pouches. It was such a lovely day, and so long since the two of us got to be out for a good length of time.

Thanks Carol. Yes, it is painful. And to add insult to injury (so to speak), it is now raining and will be raining for the night and most of the day tomorrow. Whenever it rains, my bones and joints ache, so I get the double whammy. At least it is warm and rain, not snow :yes

It sure sounds like you have had your hook flying. It's nice to hear that you got out today and had what sounds like a great day.

Good afternoon Ladies.

I posted this in the off topic conversations thread, but thought I would post it here too since I wanted to keep my ME CAL buddies updated.

I went to the Doctor yesterday. It is not exactly a pinched nerve like I thought it was. I have degenerative disc disease (have had it for years now but it didn't give me much pain) along with other problems (arthritis, scoliosis that I had surgery for many many years ago, and narrowing of the spinal column). I basically have the back of an 80 year old, and the only thing keeping me from being hunched over is the 12" rod I have in my back. I do walk slightly bent forward though. Anyway, the vertebra at the base of the rod and the one below it have basically no space between them anymore, and when I sit or walk, it is putting pressure on the nerves which is affecting my leg. I am now on steroids, new muscle relaxers and pain pills, along with bed rest. When I walk, I have to use crutches or a cane. I can't put much weight on my left leg, and it feels like it wants to buckle. I almost fell 2 different times while getting out of bed. I am off of work until at least next Tuesday (I am off on Sunday and Monday, so I will only miss 3 actual work days/pay).

If this treatment doesn't work, he wants to try doing an epidural. I told him I didn't want any needles in my back since I have the rod, and he said they do this type while doing some type of x-ray. I have to think real hard about having that done. If I do get that done and it doesn't work, he will then do a CAT scan to see if surgery is necessary. That will be the last resort. But things aren't looking too good for me right now. I may end up on disability before too long. I'm not looking forward to that. We have good disability at work, but I can't live off of that alone, so I will have to fight to get Social Security.

And to add insult to injury, I found out when I stopped into work yesterday to let them know what is going on that they are making some changes and I may lose my full time status. If that happens, I will lose my medical insurance and won't work nearly as many hours. And if I have to get a new job, I will have a hard time getting insurance since I have a pre-existing condition. With the possibility of less income, I have decided to downsize our apartment so the rent will be a lot less. I will be going from a 2 bedroom/2 bath to a 1 bedroom/1 bath and a den. I will give Hilly the bedroom and I'll take the den. Her room will stay the same size, and I'll take the smaller room.

I've had a lot of bad news lately, but I am doing my best to stay positive even though it is hard at times. I am now camped out on the couch with my laptop, lots of yarn and hooks nearby along with anything I might need. I am only getting up if I have to. Hilly may stay home this weekend to help take care of me. I hate to see her miss her Church functions, but she told me that I was more important, especially since I took such care of her when she was laid up with her knee recently.

Any good thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated. I need a little boost right now.

Well, I just heard on the news that we are having a snow storm hitting late tonight that will last until Saturday night. Looking at possible lots and lots of snow. I will lay here on the couch and watch the snow...the way I am situated on the couch, I look right out the balcony doors :D

Thanks Karen.

I am so glad I have my new couch. The old one was not the least bit comfortable and actually hurt my back to sit on it, let alone lay down. If I didn't have this couch, I would be in the bed and I like being in the living room much better. Plus the kitchen is a lot closer to the living room, so when I am by myself and I need something to eat or drink, I don't have to walk very far.

Oh, Mel!:hug:manyheart:hug

Is there anything I can do to cheer you up?? I feel helpless....

You do have my prayers....

Thanks Judy.

Hilly cheered me up a little when she came home from school. She came in the door and busted out laughing. I asked her what was so funny and she said I was. I asked why she said that. She thought it was funny that I found a way to be on bed rest, have my laptop, yarn, hooks, phone, remotes, etc. all right by me so I didn't have to get up very much. I told her it beats me being in the bedroom where I wouldn't be able to have everything I need right by me.

As long as I keep crocheting or keep reading posts on the 'ville' I don't have too much time to think about everything. But I will say that when I am not propped up and am laying almost flat with my legs up, my arms get tired while crocheting. I think I need another pillow or two to prop my arms on :lol

Thank You Cindy and Penny :hug

Day 2 of bed rest. Well, I wasn't on bed rest all day yesterday....had to pick up a prescription and a few groceries. I didn't sleep very well last night. I tried sleeping in my bed but couldn't get comfortable so I came back out and got back on the couch. I had my back against the back of the couch, so that gave my back some extra support. I got about 4 hours of sleep. I woke up with Hilly at 6:00 and am still up. I ache from head to toe today, and at first I wasn't sure what it was. Didn't know if it was the fibro flaring up, the beginnings of the flu or the nasty virus that mimics the flu, or what. Then I remembered that we have a massive winter storm on our doorstep. I looked outside and the snow is starting. We are in the beginning stages of a 24-36 hour snowfall. They are predicting anywhere from 8-14+ inches of snow :eek. And that is not just our local weather guys saying that, national weather service is saying it too. Looks like we are in for a record snowfall.

So maybe being on bed rest is a good thing right now. This way I don't have to worry about having to call off of work or try to walk in that much snow. Crutches and/or a cane don't play well with snow. The last thing I need to do is slip and fall.

I did get a lapghn finished last night/this morning. Now on to my next project, once I figure out what I want to make.

Mel, snow is a great excuse to stay home and :crocheting!

Do you have a system...you know, alternating small and big projects? I am...at least alternating hooks:lol I'm in the doily swap and it's sharpening my skills....that, and being nearly finished with a filet test.

Archived