A Crocheter's Secret Shame

I have a confession and its a biggie. I can't repeat a pattern! Yep, you read that right. The only way I can make more than one of a single pattern is to make so many changes that the pattern isn't even the same anymore.

Do you realize how many patterns I have to have in order to never run out of things to make when I am unable to repeat? :lol

I am the same way, only worse!!! I can't follow a pattern. I mean I read it and can visualize what it is supposed to look like, but I ALWAYS end up changing it!! I learn all these patterns and then I NEVER repeat!! Friends ask for the same afghan and they always get something totally different they end up loving it but it isn't what they asked for. I think I just get bored or "over" the pattern I did and have to try something new!

I know that feeling. I had to repeat a doll pattern that I designed and I never did finish the thing or write the pattern. I had so "been there and done that" that I never wanted to even look at it again. :sigh

wow!! you are not alone. I cannot repeat a pattern either and worse if I am bored with a project it becomes a UFO forever. :eek

happy pattern collecting LOL

Deanna

What a relief to know that many crafters are this way! I have the same problem when someone wants something just like something else. They aren't going to get the same no matter what THEY want. lol I made it once and there are so many patterns out there that why should I repeat it!? I want something new! lol :hook

Most of the time I can not do a pattern more than once. The only one that is different is the tote.

I find that witht the change of colors, it changes the pattern and I can not wait to see how it looks.:hook

Many patterns I have used I have only done once but ther eis one exception and that is a baby shell blanket. I have lost count of how many of those I have made (probably over 20 by now :eek ) I love the pattern and it is so quick and easy.

I am in same boat, I think that is why I keep putting off making socks, don't want to do it twice, lol.

That is why I like grannies so much, I can change patterns, colors or whatever and it doesn't feel like I am repeating it. The only thing I did make a lot of was baby hats for donation, but again, I changed colors and added different edgings, so it didn't seem the same.

I wish I could overcome it, and even more I would like to know why I am that way.

I am in same boat, I think that is why I keep putting off making socks, don't want to do it twice, lol.

That is why I like grannies so much, I can change patterns, colors or whatever and it doesn't feel like I am repeating it. The only thing I did make a lot of was baby hats for donation, but again, I changed colors and added different edgings, so it didn't seem the same.

I wish I could overcome it, and even more I would like to know why I am that way.

yeah that would be nice to know.

I know I have a short attention span so I think that is why I have to have something new and different to try.

Me, too. Once is enough for any pattern, even if I really like it. And I seem to have inherited the "can't follow directions" gene as well. But I am easily bored, and really, when there are so many new possibilities on the horizon, why keep repeating the same old thing? Probably why I don't like making afghan squares -- I like all-one-piece afghans better.

I also rarely repeat the same pattern twice....there's one exception...and it nearly drove me crazy! I made some 60 thread mini flowerbaskets (back in May) for SIL baby shower favors. I changed the colors and everything, so I only made about 8 each way (and they usually took about 45min). That was bad enough! Now that I'm a few months past it, I like the pattern again (I adapted it from a floral motif) but I doubt I'll make more for a loooong time, if ever. :)

If it's an original design, I can make it twice (maybe) but that's it...then it's time for someone else to test it. :rofl

Changing colors does help me too, if I do end up repeating something though.

I know I have a short attention span so I think that is why I have to have something new and different to try.

But it seems I am only that way with crocheting. Anything else I like I will do over and over without any problem, like sewing, scrapbooks, recipes, etc....Well I guess I am going to have to force myself to tackle those sox.

:box

I don't think there is anything I have ever made that I followed the pattern exactly. lol My Mom taught me so well. Instead of teaching me how to make one particular pattern she taught me all the basic stitches! This means my first real project was a bed doll with a very ruffly skirt but I did just fine. I had to adjust it because I couldn't find a bed doll so we amputated a barbie and it still turned out looking like I knew what I was doing. lol I will always be grateful to her for approaching it that way. With the basic stitches I can make literally anything.

I have ADD as well so my short term memory and attention span are shot-I can quite understand! That's probably why I can't make afghans or baby blankets. They take too much time! lol I have finished two afghans successfully-one was a lap size with such intricate instructions that it kept me interested (the more complicated something is the more I like it) and the other resembled a star quilt, you made it with different colored granny squares-some solid, some two colored in triangle shape.

I did complete two baby blankets but it was a near thing and from then on layettes don't include a blanket. lol Later I might get similar colored fleece and make a matching blanket with crochet trim.

The only regular size afghan I have ever tried is gorgeous-clusters, shells, cables, etc. It hasn't even reached lap size and I haven't picked it up for four years!

I do get tired of crocheting itself and then I turn to my cross stitch. Right now I am in the crocheting mode but I never know when that will end-hopefully not before I finish the layette I am making!

I am the same way. I always like to find a new pattern to try. I do use the personalized baby blanket by Kim Guzman (crochetville teacher) all the time. It makes such a great heirloom present to pass on the child.:hook

Usually by the time I'm finished with a pattern (and I make tons of ghans) I'm so sick of it that I don't want to make another one. Ever.

There are 2 exceptions to this - the round ripple which is totally addictive and the rectangle granny sq ghan.

Yeah I am with happy

I tried socks twice and even booties and I really never want to do the booties again...the socks I never could finish them...lol

I make hats too but rarely with a pattern...I will try and make one and change slightly.....bUt not the same again...My Nanny can not stand I do not follow patterns to the T.....lol:lol

She always hesitantly tells me she like what I make because of this....and throws in I wish you would just try to work threw a pattern.....So once or twice I have done this just for her...and only change maybe how I stich sme thing together.....:yes

is that were i get it from. mom!:think:yes

I can make slippers and booties but I try to make them at the same time. In other words, if a pattern has a lot of fasten offs (which I hate too!) then I begin the other bootie or slipper at the first one so its sort of an assembly line. lol

This is EXACTLY the reason that I love crochet so much! I have a short attention span for most things. I love to try new stuff and get it down good. I did a scrap book for my oldest son's preschool days. I had planned on doing one for his school years as well, but I don't think it will ever happen! He is in second grade now and I haven't even started on Kindergarten. :(

With crochet, I can do so many different things that I never get board! I have done three care bears, but each one had something different about it. :hook Then I made a couple of bears with that pattern. Each one was different somehow! :think Right now I am working on a doll with NO PATTERN. I think I am taking on more than I thought though. It's coming out twice as big as I had planned on. But I don't want to start over! I already have to frog several rows before I continue on. And now it's so big that I am going to have to make the cloths for it. :devil I was just going to buy some. I should be done by next week sometime. I'll have to show it off!!! :yes

I can make slippers and booties but I try to make them at the same time. In other words, if a pattern has a lot of fasten offs (which I hate too!) then I begin the other bootie or slipper at the first one so its sort of an assembly line. lol

I'm doing that with a pair of KristieMN's floppy friends! One head, 2 heads, one body, other body... :lol And I've never made a pair of socks...I don't know if I ever will, either! :P

Archived