I feel stupid but...

I just bought one of those gauge thingies with holes to measure hook size with the ruler on the side. But...I can't figure out how to use it? How do you tell what size hook you have? If it fits in the hole it's that size? I feel so stupid but could someone please explain this to me? :think

I found one in some donated yarn. It a row of holes with crochet hook sizes on one side and knitting needle sizes on the other (used the same holes for both). there were rulers in inches and metric too. My mom showed me how to use it and I think she has it now (LOL).

Ellie 13

The hook should be what you use. That is the part that decides how 'wide' the stitch is. :yes

Now I'm confused! I have a couple hooks that when I put the handle portion in first it fits snuggly, but if I were to drop it down to go thru the hole, the hook end won't fit???

I thought the shaft was the deciding factor for the measurement? I was told that when you use this gadget, you were to put the hook in bottom of handle down thru the hole and measure the shaft. Am I wrong??? :think

Marie

I don't normally use one, but I'm pretty sure you measure the shaft. With some hooks (like Bates, I think) the hook will fit through the hole of the corresponding size. But my J Boye hooks won't. The shaft fits in the right hole, but the hook is too big.

Which makes me wonder...I have double-ended hooks with no size stamped on them. How do I measure those if the hook won't fit through the correct hole, lol?

Ok Gals ~ Here is what I discovered! If you find the hole that the "hook" will fit thru, go to the next smallest hole and that is the size hook. This is by measuring the HOOK part not the SHAFT part. So for those who have hooks that are double ended or have something fancy at the other end...this is what I found to work over and over again.

Archived