kit with only half the yarn? what is that!?

so i went to zeller's today (kind of like a kmart/walmart store in canada that carries a lot of yarn) because they have a promo that is all clearance yarn and craft accessories are an extra 50% off. it is my birthday on friday and i told DH that my gift would be me allowed to spend 50$ pre-taxe on whatever i wanted including yarn (he thinks i have to much i think i have not enough... you know) which really i ment i am spending 50$ on yarn and you can't say a word about it. so i went in to check out what they had on clearance and i found these little "kit" boxes, it wasn't a kit in the full sense (no hook/needles included etc) more of a mini-kit just the pattern for a camisole and 3 50g balls of this "cosmic yarn" (looks similar to cool crochet but a little bigger gauge) so since they were on clearance for 7.49 - 50% and 7.19 -50% (different colors) i bought all 3 of each of the color i liked that they had left for the sole purpose of using the balls for a sweater or something else, not what the pattern inside was. well i come home, i proceed to take them all out of the little plastic boxes and arrange them in my yarn closet. i then decided that the little camisole wasn't so bad and would stash the pattern away for a possible later use. then i decide to flip open the little pattern page and i read that the pattern actually requires 5 or 6 balls to make the pictured pattern that was included in these mini kits. i can't believe they would sell something that looks to be set up as a little kit and not even include enough yarn for the "included pattern". is it just me or is this wrong of them to put it in a little plastic box, all presented with the picture of included pattern as the front of the box and then require you actually buy 2 "kits" to make it? and they all only included the one pattern so it wasnt like it came with one pattern you could make with just 3 balls

I would contact the company that made the kits. You never know if they'll give you some additional yarn or not until you ask.

I think a lot of company management doesn't have a clue what goes on with their products until we tell them. If no one complains, they figure their products are fine and keep making more of them.

Real Deal

that does seem rather odd since you wouldn't know you needed to buy two kits to make the one pictured item until you got it home and opened it - and if there were no more kits of that color it might be difficult - if not impossible - to find more of the exact yarn in the same dye lot.

sounds like a strange way of doing business.:think

Could it be that the kit was opened, and someone took the yarn? especially if it was on clearance, it was probably around for a long time......

deffinately not opened and the little leaflet inside even said "contains 3 50gram balls" and the little plastic box it was in didnt have room for any more balls anyhow so it was deffinately intact, i cut all the tapes myself

Does it say 'kit' on the front? I've seen those in Zellers, almost bought them for the yarn alone, as the patterns that were on the one I looked at didn't interest me, so I didn't even think to look.

It could be they're selling the 3-pack as a bulk buy, then just throwing in the pattern free, like the free patterns you find on the individual yarn labels.

Nevertheless, it is misleading, packaging it up like that, whether they say kit or not, it looks like a kit. If they're not selling it as a complete kit, they should at least package it differently: put it in a soft plastic wrap (like mill-ends) with less emphasis on the pattern that comes with it.

I agree you should contact the company that manufactured it.

Sally

I'd definitely contact them! Sometimes an e-mail (or regular mail) gets positive results. It depends on the integrity of the company and the degree to which they value good customer relations. But, at least you will have let them know how you feel about what they did!

Does it actually say it's a kit for the pictured item? I'm wondering if it's similar to the patterns that come on the yarn wrapper... just a suggestion of what could be made with the yarn?

If it specifically says it's a kit to make the project, I'd complain really loud! It doesn't have to include the hooks to be a kit. Most kits just include the yarn and the pattern.

Joan

Does it actually say it's a kit for the pictured item? I'm wondering if it's similar to the patterns that come on the yarn wrapper... just a suggestion of what could be made with the yarn?

If it specifically says it's a kit to make the project, I'd complain really loud! It doesn't have to include the hooks to be a kit. Most kits just include the yarn and the pattern.

Joan

no it doesnt say kit on it thats why i put it in "" i nthe original post, just looks like a kit to me the way they use the pattern as the derocation and nowhere does it say there isnt enough yarn in there until you buy it and open it up... even odder i must say is that for some reason there is no contact info for anyone, no brand name on any of the packaging. no idea who or where it came from except the little gold sticker made in china. so strange, not that i care too much since i was only buying it for the yarn anyhow

Now that's really sleezy of them! We want you to buy our goods, but when you find out you've been mislead, you can't find us.

I suppose the next best thing would be to tell someone at the store, and tell them how it's not even marked with a manufacturer or someone you can contact. They wouldn't have any matching yarn for you, but you could voice your concerns about the store doing this kind of busisness.

Real Deal

Could it be that the suggested yarn might come in smaller sized balls than is actually enclosed?? This happens sometimes with these overseas kits; they say you need 6 balls and these balls are probably half the size of the balls included! Just a suggestion!!

Jenny

Archived