Has this ever happend to you?

I'm trying to start the Seafoam Waves afghan from Leisure Arts' "Ripples for Baby" and I'm at my wits end.

3 times I've started it and I meticulously count the chains to make sure I have 213 per the instructions. I read the instructions carefully and go step by step yet as many times as I've done it, I always have 4 or 5 chains left once the first row is done. It doesn't add up!

Maybe I'm just not meant to make ripple afghans. lol

I just had to vent my frustration. I do not want to rip it all out and start again for the 4th time.

I'm trying to start the Seafoam Waves afghan from Leisure Arts' "Ripples for Baby" and I'm at my wits end.

3 times I've started it and I meticulously count the chains to make sure I have 213 per the instructions. I read the instructions carefully and go step by step yet as many times as I've done it, I always have 4 or 5 chains left once the first row is done. It doesn't add up!

I just had to vent my frustration. I do not want to rip it all out and start again for the 4th time.

Assuming that you have the right count for working your afghan, I would just undo those remaining chains and tidy up that end.

I have had things that just Would Not add up so you have to find away around what you can't get through.

If your stitch count is right then the number you chain is wrong, not you! Stop frogging and go back to crocheting. Like my mom always says "If you can't see the mistake standing a yard away, forget it." Translation: Don't sweat it, if you don't point it out no one'll know!

That is why I don't do patterns with long starting chains. I did a ripple once (20+ yrs ago), and had 3 less chs after the 1st row. I frogged back 2 points and skipped 2 chs instead of 3 at the base of the ripple. It came out fine and I doubt I could even find the change now. If the count is right then look at it from 3 ft. away, if it looks straight and even, nobody will know.

Ellie 13

• 4 years later...

I know how you feel...I as well have been trying to do the same one and it comes out the same way.....I really would like to make this one.

Archived