any artsy types out there?

I applied to become a pattern tester and wasn't chosen because of the quality of my work. I completely understand about constructive criticism, but in my 28 years on this earth I have yet to figure out how not to get upset about it.

I'm eccentric. I'm an artist, and at the same time I'm painfully shy and sensitive about my work. The last time my own husband saw me act was on Youtube and the last time he heard me sing was when he came home early as a surprise. (Incidentally, we both learned how loud I could scream that day.) I'm supposed to be on Xanax, but I haven't got time to sleep all day.

Crochet allows me to express my creativity in a private way. Most people IRL don't even know what it is and are daunted by it. And one thing I really love about it is if you mess up, you can always go back and fix it. Or if it's finished and you absolutely hate it, you can frog the entire thing. It can be perfect...kinda.

Am I making any sense here? :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Some people do not think anyone's work is as good as theirs. To those people, they do not know what they are missing.

We all have a creativity in us when it comes to our crocheting. We all have our quirks. This person sounds to me like they are looking for machine type crocheting not personal.

Hey write them off as an experience and keep crocheting.

I laughed:rofl when you said you found out how loud you can scream. Sorry, but I jus had to chuckle over that.

Keep smiling, kick back and enjoy you craft.:hook

i never apply to be a tester because i personally don't have perfect gauge nor am i always on time or a self starter.. good reason why i don't work for myself. :yes also someone can tell me my work is awesome, but I am still in self doubt.. i see the flaws no one else does.. sadly this perfectionism only extends to my crochet work, as I am sadly flawed else where in my life, yet can't see those. lol

I have tested before, but I find it a challenge to actually follow a pattern exactly. I like to alter for myself, what I think looks good. I enjoy the challenge but I can understand why someone wouldn't want me to test for them. Maybe it was nothing bad about how creative they are, but that they wanted the pattern to be as close to the original as possible. I wouldn't take offense, give the benefit of the doubt. If I have a pattern to test, you could test for me ;) I like creative :)

:hook

I wouldn't worry about it. Some people do not think anyone's work is as good as theirs. To those people, they do not know what they are missing.

We all have a creativity in us when it comes to our crocheting. We all have our quirks. This person sounds to me like they are looking for machine type crocheting not personal.

Hey write them off as an experience and keep crocheting.

I laughed:rofl when you said you found out how loud you can scream. Sorry, but I jus had to chuckle over that.

Keep smiling, kick back and enjoy you craft.:hook

Exactly what Tampa Doll says, I could not have said it any better.:hook

I haven't applied because my gauge is off. I read one loooong requirement and thought, hmm...

:lol

Of course didn't apply. Was just curious.

And usually the pattern ends up free or on the web for sale, so just wait and it will come.

In the mean time use your creativity to maybe make up your own patterns or just make other people all ready printed & published patterns. There are so many out there you're creativity can be unleashed easily.

Debbi

The minute I have to cater to someone elses standards then the part of who I am in my work goes out the window!!!...

....Do you know..I believe it was the Shakers ( great bunch or artisans there), the refused to make any piece a perfect work... they on purpose made a mistake on every piece because ...only God is perfect and they wanted no pride..

......Since crochet isn't your work.... I wouldn't take it to heart....sort of like paintings or music.... I'm thinking because I don't like AC/DC but they continue on without my approval!!!! :lol Just cause one person said something... has NO bearing on who you are as an artist

When crocheting from a pattern (which I do most times) the work has a tendency to take on a life of its own. I make little changes here and there and it works (or I frog):hook I have not tested a pattern either. I can't stick to the printed pattern if I get an idea how to make it better or prettier or faster.

Crochet is a relaxing thing for me. If I had somebody breathing down my neck and being critical of my work it would not relax me at all.

Be creative! If you're happy with your end product, you have done great job. If you not happy with it FROG IT. Another idea or pattern is always there and you still have the yarn.

:ghug Sheryl

I think having an artsy streak, even if just a little one, is pretty common to we crafty folk. It's part of the fun of creating, of making a pattern ours (hey, I think I'll add fun fur around the edge of that doily...)

Unfortunately a pattern tester, or pattern model maker, by definition is confined by the rules and requirements of the designer, which might be rigid and 'machine-like'. Some folks don't mind that, for others it would be hiring Renoir as a housepainter and asking him to paint your house all beige.

So, you've just discovered that pattern testing is not for you, more time to be creative and do what pleases you!

I'm with the others ~ just keep crocheting :hug

I looked at your blog and if you made those tops, then you have nothing to worry about they look great ~ I sure like the purple one. :cheer

So just keep crocheting :hook:yarn

Thanks, all. I hadn't thought about it that way. I like to design and alter patterns. Gauge isn't very important to me. My thinking is if the finished product is the right size, it doesn't matter so much how many stitches it took to get there. It's probably something to work on, though.

You have depression with anxiety right (xanax)? I know I do and sometimes even the smallest things hurt my feelings. At least you are out there trying--that is very good. I hide away and isolate myself. Xanax is not good, see if your doctor can recommend something else for you. Anyway, who cares about testing. Find something you really like and make that. I know all the little amigurami patterns are cute but what would I really do with them let my chihuahuas eat 'em up? Anyway, try not to take not being chosen too hard. In the big business of life that is a small thing. Bye

..I believe it was the Shakers ( great bunch or artisans there), the refused to make any piece a perfect work... they on purpose made a mistake on every piece because ...only God is perfect and they wanted no pride..

In addition, the Shakers considered it their duty to do the best they can ... not the best that can be done, but the best that THEY could do ... that way no matter what the project you do, you can stand tall knowing you did the best YOU can do, not what someone else's standard calls for.

I just became a tester for the first time yesterday, swallowed, and did the best I could do ... and was therefore totally self-confident in taking the pix of something that came out way smaller than the directions indicated!

Don't you ever worry about anyone's standards but your own!:yes

Boksie - That sounds like me. I'm currently winging it (off meds), but I feel better. I started designing some tops and am liking it.

It's hard to get out and work on the people thing. One solution I've found is to take a class. Depressives usually have fewer hobbies, so why not start a new one? And that way, there's always something in common to talk about. I'm forcing myself to go back and start taking acting again. If I can get in the door, it will be fun.

Well, in my experience in all forms of my crafting ability, I have never completely followed a pattern clear thru. I am quite sure that there may be an extra row, or may have forgotten a stitch or two, what ever! Were you told straight out that you werent chosen because of your work? That's terrible! Don't worry about it, like TAmpaDoll said. You keep on doing what you do! Michelle

I think having an artsy streak, even if just a little one, is pretty common to we crafty folk. It's part of the fun of creating, of making a pattern ours (hey, I think I'll add fun fur around the edge of that doily...)

Unfortunately a pattern tester, or pattern model maker, by definition is confined by the rules and requirements of the designer, which might be rigid and 'machine-like'. Some folks don't mind that, for others it would be hiring Renoir as a housepainter and asking him to paint your house all beige.

So, you've just discovered that pattern testing is not for you, more time to be creative and do what pleases you!

Well said and my sentiments totally.

Archived