63 Cable Stitches CAL

mommy2jj3604

I'll see about getting a pic up this weekend some time, but my cable is buried in a box some where.

Has anyone completed, or started #3 yet? I skipped #2 b/c I can't stand the baby cables...they look great, but after doing 4 or 5 for a ghan last year, I think I'll pass. If I follow the directions, it doesn't seem to come out like the picture shows.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Diane-I got mine at AC Moore and I have the 63 pattern stitches that I belive I got at Michaels. I don't know if that helps any or not but you could also check amazon for it.

Pam-Seens how you have done this maybe if there are any issues we can ask you? If you don't mind :blush

Sorry, I've been on vacation, so I haven't been on the forum...Sure, I'd be happy to help! :D

I'm still trying to decide what color or colors I want to do this in. :think I was thinking of aran like the picture in the book but I really like the idea of browns and blue :think Once I get the color scheme figured out I'll get started on this one. I may not get to it till the second half of October though.

Actually, one tip I can suggest... I had a horrible time trying to keep track of the repeats and where to put my hook after a front or back post--seeing as a lot of these squares are complicated. I finally got a bunch of safety pins and marked each row before I hooked, so that I could keep track of the pattern.

Donna- I have the yarn all picked out, the colors are Carot (which is a dusty orange), med or light sage I can't remember which one and then a tan and I will do all the edging and joining in Black. Blues and browns sound pretty, I would suggest lighter colors cause the black one that I am working on the cables just kinda blend it it's so dark

Pam-Thanks for the tip! And I hope you had fun on vacation! Thanks for being here to help.:hug

Jenni, I won't be able to start this one for at least another month. I have to get this gopher one finished. Then I'm starting two other afghans this month. The math doesn't add up. Finish one and start two :lol One of them has a deadline so I will be doing that one most of the time. But I'm gonna squeeze in time for my other ones too. :yes

Yeah I understand Donna I have JJ's blanket and then hubby's blanket I have to finish plus a tree skirt which is almost as big as an afghan! That's why mine might have to wait till after christmas but at least by then I will know what I am doing because I will have finished Jon's cable block.

Gene welcome!! Oh I hope you find it and I can't wait to see the colors you use. I have seen your work and you are amazing! :clap

I finished #3, but only my 2nd square. I think I'm going to make thes in an assortment of colors from my scraps. Then I'll arrange them and put them together as lapghans, unless I'm really feeling up to making enough for a full size ghan.

Man! I went to Joanns (they're redoing the whole store, so everything is a mess!) and Michael's without success. Then went to a privately owned store (Temecula Valley Yarn Company) - it was my first time there - a VERY nice store but limited on crochet books.

I'll try again at Joanns now that I know someone has found it there. This time I'll ask for help (I'm sure you've heard about men and asking for help :blush ).

Oh - thanks for the warm welcome! :day

Gene would you like me to go and beat the ladies at Joanns who hassle you up? I will :yes although it might take me a bit to make it there but eventually I will :lol I got my book at AC Moore but I don't know if that helps you if you don't have an AC Moore around.

Gene would you like me to go and beat the ladies at Joanns who hassle you up? I will :yes although it might take me a bit to make it there but eventually I will :lol I got my book at AC Moore but I don't know if that helps you if you don't have an AC Moore around.

Oh, no! They don't hassle me. I just don't like to ask for help (much). I think things should be logically arranged (comes from my computer background, I guess). Since the store is in such a state of disarray during the remodel (or whatever they're doing), I had to search for the regular bunch of books. They seem to have others in other places, so I should either search every square inch of the store, or simply ... just ask.

I'd rather buy it at Joann (or Michael's) if possible because of the coupons. 40% off of $12.95 sounds good to me. If I order it online, I'll pay full price (at least from the short search I did) plus shipping. :eek

Well, I went back to Joann Etc. for the book. I___F_O_U_N_D___I_T_!_!_! (without asking :clap ) And I was able to use a coupon, which brought the cost down to a little over $8 with tax.

Oh, man! now I realize it's 63 SQUARES. I hate to sew - I might try to convert this to strips or even one big piece, yeah, that's it - one big piece. Let's see, that would be hard to do...I'll have to think about it...

Gene that's great that you found it. :clap I don't like asking for help in the stores either. Usually the people there know about as much as I do so they really aren't that much help. At least that's been my experience. Good luck figuring out how you're going to do it.

Gene doing strips sounds like an interesting idea, and it probably wouldn't be too bad to do either.

I just finished another square. #11 I believe. I really enjoyed making this one, but it took a little bit longer. I think it looks nicer with the sc as the background stitches instead of the hdc.

I did try to to #9, but couldn't figure out the first row that had the Fpdc!

Gene YAY :clap:clap

I was going to do strips too but then I thought if I can make them 12 inch squares I wouldn't have to pick just a few cable designs cause I like them all. The strips wouldn't be too hard to do though. You have kids put them to work sewing :lol I mean don't do that, it would be against child labor laws :D

Purple Squares - Pink is next

Cable Squares from 63 Cable stitches

#32 Diamond X

th_32_Diamond_X.jpg

#3 Three Stitch Cable

th_3_three_stitch_cable.jpg

#35 Chained Diamonds

th_35_chained_diamonds.jpg

#1 Lobster Claw Cable

th_1_lobster_claw_cable.jpg

#11 Cable in a Diamond

th_11_cable_ina_diamond.jpg