My Fall crop of dolls ;)

I hit the Thrift stores today and I got a great crop of dolls for my rescue work (or as inspiration for designing as the case may be :lol ) I was really pleased to see so many nice dolls to work with. Well, the hair thing is a challenge but I'll get to that. i was just wondering how others are doing with rescue dolls...Que Pasa?

Check 'em out fallcrop.jpg

Yes, there are 2 Princesses in the bunch and a Velvet doll.

Then....

And I am now officially the proud possessor of a fur baby. However, in keeping with my crochet roots, I have a Fake-Fur baby :rofl

puppy.jpg

There is a certain irony in this in that I am the (self-appointed) convenor of the Ban Fake Fur committee for all of Canada. :rofl

He really is the neatest little thing but I can't take him down for sewing circle night because the other Non-fake furbabies would want to play with him... I mean really play with him :devil

Darski...a hint for the hair...if it is really tangled and a mess to comb/brush...try armorall (the tire stuff). I've tried it and it works. Nice score on the Velvet doll.

I have some vinyl protectant that helps to soften the hair and makes it quite "curlable". It takes a week with a plastic bag over the hair - to keep the stuff off the rest of the doll- for it to be ready to fix.

Empress.. yeah me too when I saw them :yes

WOW! :hook

You'll be busy!

I went to my local thrift shop today and wound up with nothing! They used to have Cabbage Patch Dolls marked at $1.95. I used to buy them all the time. Now they went crazy and upped the prices to $7.95 and $9.95 (and a few were $11.95). I try to "rescue" dolls too but can't afford their new prices. Maybe they will soon mark them down because they have a whole pile and they are not selling. I went to the Dollar General today and lucked out and found the small dolls that I needed for cradle purses that I am making and donating. I bought 10 of those.

WOW! :hook

You'll be busy!

I went to my local thrift shop today and wound up with nothing! They used to have Cabbage Patch Dolls marked at $1.95. I used to buy them all the time. Now they went crazy and upped the prices to $7.95 and $9.95 (and a few were $11.95). I try to "rescue" dolls too but can't afford their new prices. Maybe they will soon mark them down because they have a whole pile and they are not selling. I went to the Dollar General today and lucked out and found the small dolls that I needed for cradle purses that I am making and donating. I bought 10 of those.

I bought CPK's for less than $15.oo CDN for new dolls. I find that thrift stores are now aiming for the neuveau riche rather than the thrift clients of old.

We went today because it was Half Price day. (it still cost me $29.oo oops:eek)

I saw several tiny dolls today too but they are too small for me to use... :sigh

I just wash our dolls' hair with my own shampoo and then use my conditioner on it. I know it doesn't work on all dolls though.

with dolls that are badly handled, the hair can take a lot of work to come back.

i have a baby doll just now with long black hair :eek and it is so brittle I am not sure I can help it much. it is soaking in the vinyl stuff and I will see next week.

One of these dolls has really skanky hair... I will see how that one goes as it may not be recoverable.

it does depend on the individual doll and I am learning as I go.

I've been afraid to try working with dolls with fiber hair. I'm going to try the armor all trick. Thanks for the hint! I just got a CP preemie for $1.50 at one of our thrift stores.

Archived