someone needs to stop me...

I have no self-control when it comes to buying yarn!! :lol

I know this is definitely the wrong crowd to ask for help, but maybe you all can relate and tell me I'm not that bad...

I've been a good girl for a while and haven't brought anymore yarn since about a year ago - I even sold most of my stash because I was tight on money earlier this year.

Well I had a pretty stressful first week of school and so my friends took me out to dinner and we went to see a movie. On the way back, we stopped at Walmart to pick up a few groceries. Well I was kind of interested to see if Walmart had gotten rid of their yarn yet. I get to the crafts section and there was 4 whole aisles and a large section of a wall full of Red heart, Caron and Lion brand yarn. The Red Heart Super Saver was on sale for $1.24 each! These were the big 7 oz. skeins for the price of the tiny skeins! I took a skein to the register to have them check the price and it was correct so I really went crazy... I bought 20 skeins of yarn... :blush

Everyone thought I was insane - people gave me weird looks when they looked at my cart full of yarn, the checkout guy asked me 3 times about the yarn to make sure that I was the only one purchasing the yarn and my friends tried to distance themselves from me as I walked out with 7 bags of yarn. At least I could afford to buy the yarn - I had worked all summer long and put all of the money I earned straight into the bank and had already paid tuition and housing costs for this year. Now I'm trying to figure out how to stash all this yarn around my small apartment room! :hook

Annie,

You're not that bad! To go for a year without buying yarn? That's great! And you found such a fabulous sale (:dance)! Really, you showed a great deal of restraint in that you only bought 20 skeins of yarn (:rofl )!!

And these friends that tried to distance themselves from you? Are these the same ones that will be asking you to crochet something for them later (:think) ?

Besides, a gal who uses both her right and left brain (engineering student and crocheter!) can only be commended!! :applause :applause

I can't stop buying yarn either (just bought some more online) and NOW I'm going to stop at Wal-Mart today! If I find skeins for $1.24, I'm planning to go crazy.

I gather you're a teacher? Me too, 7th grade. I had a couple of really stressful days this week-topping that off, I recently found out that I have a bone spur in my heel and plantar fascitis (sp?) and it hurts like H&LL. I refuse to take a cortisone shot, b/c I'm trying to get pg.

So, yarn is ALWAYS therapeutic. I'm amazed that you showed the restraint you did-I know I couldn't have!

Wow!! 20 skeins at $1.24....that is great self control. And after not buying yarn for a year??

I will be stopping at WM after work today. If they have it for that price here, there is no telling how much I will buy.

I am drooling for the bernat camo yarn, or the red heart cammo yarn.. it's torture to not be able to buy it..

They had red heart camo yarn included in the sale! I just brought 1 skein though... I spent half an hour just trying to decide which 20 skeins to buy.

Thanks for the support everyone - I knew I could count on you all! :devil

I too have a heel spur and have been told not to bother with surgery as they just grow back. I have found that Crocs are the best shoes to wear. I am on my feet eight plus hours a day and I don't even limp if I wear the Crocs if I wear anything else I am in absolute agony by the end of my shift. I too am a yarnaholic I see something I like I buy it whether I 'need' it or not. I always find some project for yarn.

Bad? I don't think you're bad at all! In fact, I think you're really smart to load up on yarn at such a great price! Not to mention that you didn't waste money that was earmarked for something else, all your bills were paid before you bought the yarn, so I say GOOD FOR YOU!!! :cheer

Everyone needs a way to unwind. School is stressful, and there are a lot worse ways that you can escape that stress than buying a bunch of yarn and crocheting. Have fun with it! And best of luck with school!

Elle

Archived