THIS makes me SICK!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HERITAGE-LACE-GARDEN-GLORY-DOILY-WHITE-NEW_W0QQitemZ260150833057QQihZ016QQcategoryZ945QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The bid is $1.99! with 7 minutes left.

How are we EVER supposed to get ANYTHING for our craft with people undercutting and selling such beautiful work for next to nothing!!!!????!!!!

From where I sit, the doily doesn't look like the real thing. I've seen these knock off crocheted pieces in the store and they aren't even crocheted.

it does not look like a crocheted piece - in fact they had more than one for sale! it's just a machine made knock off, like lace fabric or something, and then cut around the edges... you can see that from the pictures.

if someone wants an inexpensive piece of polyester on their table, it's available... if they want a beautiful heirloom they'll look for the real thing!

It looks like one a friend of mine bought. It was machine made and not real crocheted. That is the difference. It is no different than someone selling a machine knitted sweater for next to nothing.

Unfortunately, only us crafters can tell the difference.:no

Unfortunately, only us crafters can tell the difference.:no

That's my whole point. To someone that isn't doing the work or doesn't know better - why bother paying for what they can get for nothing.

i just typed in doily in the search box and there were PLENTY of handmade doilies going for next to nothing. :(

It's not a crocheted doily. It's mass producted machine made polyester fabric, it's worth maybe $5.00, if that.Now, even if it was a crocheted doily, it's up to the person who made it to determine what to sell it for, and not for someone else to determine if the price is too low. Not everyone is interested in making money from the things they craft, some just sell things to get some money to buy more suppies with, or they just have too many doilies( purses, baby dolls, hats, scarves, insert own favorite item) laying around .

I saw some similar to that at Dollar Tree last time I was there.

The last time I did a search of Doilies on EBay, I say a lot like this. I also saw a lot of handmade ones going for next to nothing. I just don't understand how someone can take the time to make a beautiful doily, then sell it so cheap. It makes no sense to me.

look at the whole search page - http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=doily&category0= - there's TONS of handmade crocheted items.

The whole concept makes me sick. I didn't post to quibble. Real thing or not - it's still a doily and it is pretty.

This is why I don't bother trying to sell what I make.

I agree, I have boxes full of doilies and tablecloths and not sure what I am going to do with them. They are my therapy when we travel, or I would go insane, but what to do with them. I donate when I can, and give what I can as gifts, but still have lots left over. I did try ebay once and couldn't even get the cost of the thread, let alone any for time, which I don't care about but I would rather give them away then to have someone think they arent' worth anything...... sorry got carried away

look at the whole search page -http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=doily&category0= - there's TONS of handmade crocheted items.

The whole concept makes me sick. I didn't post to quibble. Real thing or not - it's still a doily and it is pretty.

This is why I don't bother trying to sell what I make.

That is why I have never tried to sell my items online. If someone sees something I've made and wants to buy one, I'll sell them one. But I mainly give my items away to people that I know will appreciate all the time it takes to make something.

I agree, you can't get the price of the yarn or thread in those sales. I enjoy the look on someone's face when you present them with something hand made. It make's it all worthwhile. Will have to check out Etsy, never knew about it until I joined crochetville.

If you take into account the cost of the supplies, often small items are inexpensive to make...when you add in the time to make it factor...to each his own. Some people are happy to craft and make a little money to support their crafting. If you are lucky enough to find (and maintain) a target audience, and vice versa have them find you, you can after a while name your price, within reason. It seems the trick to making money on hand crochet/knit items is less is more....keep it inexpensive to make and small so you can make lots from 1 ball/skein of yarn/thread....and you maximize your profits. Considering how many items we work up and give away as gifts, paying for supplies out of pocket too........that seems to be more of a losing financial proposition than charging cheaply for a completed project. My humble opinion, of course.

Now, even if it was a crocheted doily, it's up to the person who made it to determine what to sell it for, and not for someone else to determine if the price is too low. Not everyone is interested in making money from the things they craft, some just sell things to get some money to buy more suppies with, or they just have too many doilies( purses, baby dolls, hats, scarves, insert own favorite item) laying around .

I agree. And probably the biggest reason why I would never attempt to make a living at my craft. Not to say that I haven't made money, because I have. Keeping it a hobby keeps me happy. That way it doesnt frost my donuts when somebody is selling stuff cheaper than me.

Archived