Be Careful!

Kellycat

Sadly enough I recieved a letter from another crochet group telling of how contributions of crocheted baby items were being sold on ebay. :cry

Please be careful who you contribute your well meaning items to! Most organizations are completely honest I am sure, but there can be some misleading people out there praying on the kind heartedness of some.

There are always your local hospitals, and churches that need these items as well. :yes Please keep that in mind, before sending to anyone.

Kelly~

The Crafty Cat

Guest SamplerLady

Could it be that the money made on those items was being donated to the charity? Some charitable organizations don't need crocheted items but would need money.......

Don't know but it might not be blatant stealing. :D

If someone needed money for a charity I don't think they would ask for specific articles of clothing for children in need. That would be misleading wouldn't it?

Looking over the charitable organizations that are posted on this site, I don't think that is the case. I just want people who mean well to be cautious, and like I said there are hospitals, and organizations in every town. I am not saying NOT to donate by any means. On the contrary I think everyone should do their part.

We all know that there are shady characters out there in webland don't we?

Meant well,

Kelly ~

The Crafty Cat

Thanks for the warning Kelly.

:( It makes me very sad that there are people out there that do this sort of thing.

• 1 month later...

It is really sad that people may take advantage in any form of those who help others in need. On another crochet board that I belong to, there are always discussions of those sellers on Ebay who auction off those free one page leaflets that you can get in Wal-mart, Michaels, etc and even charge $3.99 for shipping one piece of paper. So you never know sometimes where things are really going to. I know that my volunteer organization used to raffle off items (I made several afghans) but they indicated what cause the proceeds would benefit. I donate to a local medical center and an outreach for a church in a neigboring town that I recently found through a friend. I won't stop donating my items, I just am very careful about who I donate to. And every place I have given to, has been most appreciative.

LI Roe

I emailed Newborns in need, and this is what I got back.

"Hi.

I have heard that Newborns in Need has put some baby clothes up on ebay. Is that true?

I hope you can shed some light no this. Thanks!

Amber Thompson

Hi Amber,

No, this is not true. We do however sell dolls and other such items on eBay to help raise funds for the babies that we serve. There is a link below my signature in this email that you can click on to see what we currently have listed or you can also do a search through eBay. Our eBay seller id is nininc. I hope this clears things up - I simply hate nasty rumors and the damage they can cause!

Hugs,

TeLesa

So, I"m not sure.

Amber

• 1 month later...
Guest beverlyq

It is my understanding that NIN does not sell items made an donated, but they do sell packets of donated patterns on eBAY.

Perhaps that iswhere the misunderstanding lies

All in all you do need to be very cautious and prayerful when donating to any charity. I stick mostly with either good, personal friends of mine who have charities like Rising Star Outreach, or extremely honest, and trustworthy organizations like LDS Humanitarian.

Bev

oh gracious, that is horrible that anybody would do that! That's why I hand select the hospitals/facilities that my stuff goes to and make contact with someone there who is directly responsible for getting the stuff to the kids they are intended for... thank you for the warning!

Ro

Archived