Need to see....

Although I store my crochet supplies up in my den, I do most of my crocheting in the Living Room. My problem is lighting. If I turn the big light on, hubby complains it is too bright when he watches TV. I tried a pole lamp, but he said it shines too brightly and glares in the TV screen. Can anyone recommend a light that will shine down on me and my work, without causing him any discomfort. Biggest problem is when working with dark colored yarn, like black or navy. Or should I just stop crocheting downstairs. I hate to do that cause I spend so much time in the den now, it is nice to spend time downstairs with him. House is small cottage and den is a walk through hall type room off of bedroom, so no place for comfort there, it is strictly a work and store space.:think

I have a lamp that I think is very handy for this purpose. I got it at Walmart for about $20 I think. It's your basic pole lamp that sits behind our sofa, but it has one little moveable, adjustable arm with a smaller light on it that I can aim over my shoulder and onto my work. This one is similar, although ours wasn't nearly as expensive! I find the little light very handy! :)

If your husband isn't keen on that one, maybe something like this would work. You could set it on a side table and aim it at your work.

I hope I've helped. I know it's much more fun to be able to sit with the family and work as opposed to by yourself somewhere. :D

I use indirect lighting sometimes. I had a vision problem last year and spent a lot of time in the dark (felt better) and when my vision in the bad eye started to improve, I realized I couldnt use an OTT Light anymore.

I started to use a lamp that shines it's light on the ceiling and the light gets "bounced" back down at me. (cant remember the type of lamp it is...torchiere???)

Weird thing is, that it uses a flourescent bulb, something I cant stand to be under normally any more. I'm guessing that since it's more of an indirect light, having it bounce back at me from the ceiling makes the light more bearable. Plus it doesnt reflect on my tv or computer monitors.

I use the Ott light, you can get either a pole lamp or the type that will either clamp on a edge of the table or use with a stand to stand it on the table. It really is great for crocheting. The colors are even more true with this light. i got mine from Nancy's Notions.

I have a lamp that has 3 movable arms. 1 is for reading and the other 2 have the bright bulbs. I got a small bulb that looks like it would go outside (the shape of it) it it directs the light down instead of all around.

I enjoy having the light coming down over my shoulder and it's not as annoying as the big light.

This is the lamp I bought for next to my crocheting chair. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=238076-47842-15813-000&lpage=none I could'nt crochet without it. I think it's less expensive than the OTT light and it seems to work just as well. Of course, I don't have a pesky husband either!:lol just kitties, and they don't seem to care.

I don't know if you have an Ikea near you. My daughter bought a lamp for under $40. It has a torch-like top, directed upwards that uses an incandescent 150 W bulb, and a small light on a flexible arm that uses a special bulb that gives off a lot of light. That small light can be aimed directly on your work and should not cause a glare on your TV screen. It is attractive enough to be in a living room.

Thank You,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I forgot where I posted the cry for help, and it took awhile for me to figure things out as far as getting around the site. Got it figured out pretty much now, will check the lamp out as soon as things dry up around here (a lot of rain), and I can get a lift to the store.

Wow, sounds good, thanks so much. Took me awhile to figure out how to find where I posted my question, and get the replies, but I got it now.

definitely adding this one to my "wish list".

So many great replies, the choice will be hard to make. My budget is a little limited right now, and the one I really like is kind of expensive. Trying to save for a digital camera to post some pics, so I guess I will go for the lower priced lamp for now, and then when I have my camera, the (really neat) many armed one is next to save for. Thanks ever so much everyone, will let you know what his reaction is. He might get tired of me and chase me upstairs, LOL.

I have a lamp that I think is very handy for this purpose. I got it at Walmart for about $20 I think. It's your basic pole lamp that sits behind our sofa, but it has one little moveable, adjustable arm with a smaller light on it that I can aim over my shoulder and onto my work. This one is similar, although ours wasn't nearly as expensive! I find the little light very handy! :)

I have that lamp!!! Love it love it love it! It's been an eye saver:manyheart

I think I've seen somewhere too that there are small lights you can wear around your neck on a chain. I've seen them advertised for reading or crafting. One of those might help. Sorry I don't know the name.

Archived