Defective yarn

I am in the process of making the "afghan the developed a life of it's own". It started out as a ripple baby afghan for a friend. I got the pattern off the back of the Baby Clouds label - which is a chunky yarn. Once I started it, I decided it was too heavy for a baby afghan, but I like it so I''ll finish it for me.

Last night I am crocheting along, and add a new skein. I don't know what they did to it, but there were BIG puffy parts and long thin skinny parts. I figure it had something to do with running the nylon around the yarn to make the poufs. Well, that made the afghan really weird in spots - so it definately is mine now.

Strange, strange....

Speaking of "strange," I have a skein of grey knitting worsted that is half plain, and half with a shiny thread through it. I wound the section with the shiny thread into a seperate ball, but don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.

Problems like what you all have posted is why I religiously re-roll all my skeins into balls before I start working with them! I hate nasty surprises halfway through a project. I hate rolling yarn into balls, but I'd rather do that than run into some crazy yarn issue I wasn't expecting! :)

Last night I am crocheting along, and add a new skein. I don't know what they did to it, but there were BIG puffy parts and long thin skinny parts. I figure it had something to do with running the nylon around the yarn to make the poufs. Well, that made the afghan really weird in spots - so it definately is mine now.

Strange, strange....

The same thing happened to me with Baby Clouds and with Paton's Brilliant. Drove me crazy. I had to cut & attach because it was so bad in spots. :knit

I know that those things are done by machine, but where in the world is quality control? It wasn't like it was one little spot - it was the entire skein!

I've had that happen with LB homespun, too. Sometimes it's fairly consistent throughout the skein, with a few "puffies", and occasionally I run into a skein with teh thick/thin thing like you're talking about. It drives me nuts, lol.

:huhGood greif!! You mean it's not supposed to be like that? Last year,I made a baby blanket with it for a friend with BabyClouds and I swore that I would never use it again! I really like how soft it is, so maybe I'll give it a try again.

I've had problems with Homespun, too. I've ran into thick/thin spots but that wasn't the frustrating part! I was knitting myself a car coat with it and I made double sure that I bought all the same dye lot. Each piece I knitted was a different shade!! :eek It looked horrible!! I never did finish it(even though I only had the hood and then sew it together). I would have been too embarrassed to admit to anyone that I made it! I find that more often that not, the yarn gets stuck to the glue that they use on the label,too. Yuck!!

:

I've had problems with Homespun, too. I've ran into thick/thin spots but that wasn't the frustrating part! I was knitting myself a car coat with it and I made double sure that I bought all the same dye lot. Each piece I knitted was a different shade!! ...the yarn gets stuck to the glue that they use on the label,too. Yuck!!

The very same thing has happened to me with Homespun. I made a shawl that looks like it was done with strips of color. Yuck. And the thick/thin thing just drives me nuts. Interestingly, though, those things only happened with skeins I've bought at Michael's. I recently purchased an entire box of Homespun from LB online to make a baby blanket; I'm almost done with the blanket, and I have to say every single skein was perfect.

Another problem I've had with Homespun is that the yarn can separate. I've purchased four or five skeins at a time, and every one has separated. I gave up on Homespun for a while, but then I saw the baby blanket pattern and just had to make it. I've had no problems with the stuff I bought online.

Carol

I just had some RH ww and about half way through, it changed to 2-ply!

Something like that happened to me with a cone of Sugar 'n' Cream once--about halfway through, it changed from normal worsted weight cotton to something truly weird--shiny, stiff, and it looked more like size 3 thread than worsted! Fortunately it was only for a few yards, though.

Interestingly, though, those things only happened with skeins I've bought at Michael's.

Carol

Ah ha! guess where the defective yarn came from???? I bought the original at Walmart and didn't have enough. So, I went to Michael's and got more!

I have ran into several skeins of yarn lately where I start crocheting and about 3 rows in there is a spot where the yarn is tied together. I hate that. I untie it and then I leave it long so I can weave it in. You can't weave in something that is a short tied knot. Several of these skeins had about 3 of these tiny knotted spots in them and these are only 4 oz skeins.

Archived