Dishcloths

I have a quick question about dishcloths. Do you only use cotton yarn or do you ever use other types, like worsted weight acrylic?

I haven't ventured into dischloths yet, but think it would be a good idea for stashbusting.

I prefer the cotton yarn myself. I think it wipes and washes better. I think that acrylic yarn would just smear the water around, if you are wiping spills or water off your counters. Cotton absorbs better.

I only use cotton. I'm not sure how acrylic would 'work', I don't think I've seen manufactured cloths in anything but cotton. To me, the acrylic yarns feel too soft when wet so wouldn't scrub as well.

Sally

I use cotton for most of my kitchen needs I have found that peaches and Cream work up a great dishcloth too try shades of Green it makes a really cool pattern when you are making it

If you have the patience and are really curious, try reading this article on Crochetme.com.

http://www.crochetme.com/Aug_Sept_2005/feat_cotton.html

The author tried out 5 different types of cotton yarn and did it all very scientifically. If you don't want to read the whole thing she does end it with her recommendations, based on the type of project you want to do.

Bottom line is, cotton is best when you need absorbency. It will shrink up a bit with washing, but not enough to make a huge difference. It really depends on the cloth you're planning on making. The highly textured cloths she made actually shrunk more.

I prefer either Lion Cotton or Lily Sugar & Cream if I'm making washcloths. But it all comes down to personal preference. I definitely wouldn't recommend using acrylic though. Its not really meant for that kind of use.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I looked in my local craft store last night and they had no cotton. :( So, I'm going to order some online and give dishcloths a try. Thanks so much! :)

I make all of mine out of cotton because they absorb water better. After I do dishes, I put the wet cloth in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes then hand to dry. Keeps the bacteria in check. Let me know if you use the acrylic and how well it works!

i never thought to do that. how clever!

Does cotton shrink??? Or should you make them a little bigger.

They do tend to shrink in the washer/dryer. I always make them a little bigger, but it really doesn't matter if your dishrags are a little smaller than they were before they were washed. At least I don't think so.

Also, I like a nice cotton dishrag when I take a shower. Some nice liquid soap and I am in heaven. I like the texture on my skin. I might be weird on this but I like them better than terrycloth washcloths.

:manyheart

Quote:

Originally Posted by morehotcoffee

I make all of mine out of cotton because they absorb water better. After I do dishes, I put the wet cloth in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes then hand to dry. Keeps the bacteria in check. Let me know if you use the acrylic and how well it works!

i never thought to do that. how clever!

neither did i!

my grandmother made me a cotton washcloth for xmas and it was larger and more of a looser knit (she's a knitter) and i crocheted a few too but i used a smaller hook (i can't remember which one but maybe an H hook?) and i made tighter stitches (SC). i like the tighter stitch better than a looser one. oh and i made them about the size of my palm too. i think i get better control with it that way.

Walmart sells cotton yarn. Did you look there?

Archived