what books would you recommend?

I love the Happy Hooker book. I recently scored the Amazing Lace Crochet and Couture Crochet. They're both good. I like the Couture Crochet because there's a lot of reference material in it. Other than those three I usually buy booklets.

the only book that i have is happy hooker. i think its pretty popular. i mostly buy magazines because they are cheaper and check out books from the library. however, the ones that i have checked out that i would DEFINITELY buy would be Sexy Little Knits and 200 Crochet Blocks (or something like that).

My best advice is to go to the library or book store if you can and look through what they have to see what you like.

Go to many book stores as they all carry different things. Also try Joann's and Michael's.

Amazon has 'search inside' on some books that lets you see a little of what they have.

I agree with Empress, only buy when you're sure you really want/need it at home. Libraries are brilliant and usually inter-library loan those books they don't have themselves

I agree with the library suggestion. Sometimes I have bought books and then been disappointed with the overall content, so if you preview them beforehand you can weed out the ones you aren't impressed with.

Having said that, the one book I have that I absolutely love (and even hug when no one's looking, or even if they are looking) is 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton. :manyheart:hook

I got my first book from my grandmother in the mid 70's. I've bought or was given many books since then. I like books that teach stitch patterns that you can use for anything. Crocheting in Plain English, 63 Squares Afghan and 63 More Squares afghan books are great. I have so many books that say "Granny Squares" something that I don't know all the titles.

Ellie 13

I think a really good beginner book is Crocheting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. (I also love the one for knitting) I also love the Happy Hooker book!!

~Tami

I agree with Empress, only buy when you're sure you really want/need it at home. Libraries are brilliant and usually inter-library loan those books they don't have themselves

And some libraries will even purchase a book if you suggest it. My library has a purchase form right on their website and if they think it will be a good book or whatever, they purchase it for their collection. I do it all the time.

I do this all the time. It's a great way to preview a book to see if it's worth purchasing through Crafter's choice or another company. I do like C.C. because they give you a discount on each book, and even with mailing, it's cheaper than at the store. I haven't tried Amazon or others.

My Favorite book of all times is The Crochet Yearbook. It's chuck full of great projects from afghans to baby clothes and everything else. And I heard there's a volume #2 out. I'll have to look for it.

Good luck finding the right books.

:manyheart

I've checked out all the books on crochet that my library has to offer, which really isn't all that many. It has helped me in determining which books to buy and which not to, though. I have quite a library of my own going now, and if you want to see any of my reviews on any of them (not all are there yet), you can access my Book Shelf on my blog.

I agree with the idea of going to the library to look at the books. What I like best may not fit your needs. Another good choice is to go to the book stores and go through all the choices they offer. I love books and have several but I try really hard to only buy something that has more than 2 patterns I am willing to make!

My most recent purchase was Lily Chan's Coture Crochet. Lots of great information about fitting. If you have to adjust patterns for the perfect fit, this book is heaven sent.

If I had to keep one book, it would be Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. It has the basics shown for both left- and right-handed crocheters. It has numerous pattern stitches for motifs, filet, tunisian and edges.It talks about tools, yarn, color choices, symbols. There are 21 projects as well, including clothing, afghans, and simple/quick projects.

The book is $25 but if you have a 40% off coupon from Joann's, it's a great deal. I've also seen the book on eBay for good prices.

Archived