Bean stitch

Daydreamer-girl

Question

16 answers to this question

ok that sounds like it is a tunsian form of a puff stitch...the bean stitch my Grams taught me 40 yrs ago was different than that...it is an individual stitch and the stitch in row two would be based in the eye or connecting chain of the stitch below...you don't yarn over before you pull up the first loop and that leaves an intricate pattern between your stitchs...you would insert hook pull up loop yo insert in same st and pull up loop yo insert again into the same stitch and pull up loop yo pull through all six loops ch 1 to connect you can find a pic of wht it looks like here: http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-87674-1.html

Sorry, here's the continuation...

1st half of row two: Retaining all loops on hook, draw up loop in sp between first 2 bean stitches, yo, draw up a loop in same sp, *draw up loop in sp between next 2 bean stitches, yo, draw up loop in same sp, repeat from * to end.

2nd half of row two: YO hook and draw through 3 loops on hook, *yo hook and draw through 4 loops, repeat from *. End yo and through last 2 loops on hook.

Without giving away the entire pattern, which would probably break copyright laws I think, does this make sense?

I found the bean stitch in an old pattern book. Unfortunately the book is missing its cover so I can't tell you its name but the pattern is for A Special Mood afghan. Anyway, it's an afghan stitch:

Chain required number (in this case, 22).

First half of row: Retain all loops on hook, yo, draw up loop in 2nd ch from hook*, draw up loop in next ch, yo, draw up a loop in same ch, repeat from * in each ch to end.

Second half of row: YO hook and draw through 3 loops on hook (one bean made), *yo hook and draw through 4 loops; repeat from * to end.

Archived