Mosaic Crochet

Has anyone tried mosaic crochet? Seems a tad confusing to me. Perhaps I'm just having a 'brain feeze'. lol! I just purchased one of Annie's Attic books on mosaic crochet...instructions aren't very clear.

charkitty

Yes, I've tried it. It's also called Tapestry Crochet. One of the members here in Crochetville is the author of Tapestry Crochet books and has a website: TapestryCrochet.com. She's a regular contributor to the Bead Crochet Forum.

It's really not that difficult, once you get the hang of it. The results are very rewarding.

Here is a picture of my first Tapestry Crochet Project (a hat, of course):

419738487_e33094242a_m.jpg

Tapestry crochet uses two, or more, colors in each row. You change colors for each stitch within the rows and carry the unused colors along, inside the stitches.

Mosaic crochet uses only one color per row. You make stitches over the previous rows to make the designs in different colors. The other colors are left at the end of their rows to wait to be used again.

I have not yet tried the mosaic patterns but they look fascinating. Tapestry will probably always be my favorite for color work, though!

I have a copy of Lily M. Chin's "Mosaic Magic Afghans Made Easy." In her intro, Lily writes (in part): "Mosaic crochet starts with rows of simple single crochet stitches. In fact, you only work with one color on a row at a time, so you don't have to worry about constantly changing colors within a row.... The seeming complexity comes from "dropping" long double crochet stitches from the working row to another row below. Dropping stitches of one color into another creates the interlocking color patterns unique to mosaic crochet...."

I bought that book too and, even though I took two years of calculus in college, have not been able to decipher those instructions.

So glad I'm not the only one having trouble with the instructions. lol!

charkitty

Yes, I've tried it. It's also called Tapestry Crochet. One of the members here in Crochetville is the author of Tapestry Crochet books and has a website: TapestryCrochet.com. She's a regular contributor to the Bead Crochet Forum.

It's really not that difficult, once you get the hang of it. The results are very rewarding.

Here is a picture of my first Tapestry Crochet Project (a hat, of course):

419738487_e33094242a_m.jpg

Nice hat...great job! I've tried tapestry crochet and very much enjoy it. Mosaic is a bit more complex. The yarn is not 'carried' as in tapestry; it's picked up at the right edge every two rows. I think I'm going to stick with tapestry! lol!

charkitty

I bought one of the mosiac crocheting books from Annie's Attic and did do one of the afghans from it. I've done both tapesty and mosiac crocheting and although the instructions for mosiac is a bit daunting, once I got the hang of it, I liked it better than tapesty because I didn't have to drag along the extra color...I really liked the effect better. Tapesty's great, but I'm constantly fighting the extra yarn as I work with the other color...

If I can be of any extra help, please let me know...just remember this...you are working two rows with one color...going to and coming back and then switch color for two more rows, going to and coming back. Say you're using green and white...you work with green and where there's a green square you do a sc. If you come to a square that is white and you're working with green, you chain 2 (for one square, if it's two white squares and so on you do 3 and so on...this is to keep the row from puckering...) When you switch to white when you hit those chains made from the previsious row, you will do a dc in front of the chains on the right side. It's tricky, but keep reading the instructions and practising and believe me it will get easier. Before I started the afghan I did a swatch just for practise so that I understood the concept first.

This afghan is by far my favorite of all the afghans I've ever made. I did it in Lion Brand Woolese and me and my cat fight over it...that's how much we love it.

I never ever heard of this but now I MUST try.

I love the look of tapestry crochet, but I find it really hard to do.

Mosaic seems (on the face of it) to be easier to do, but sounds like its much harder to follow the pattern instructions.

I need to research this. If anyone has a link to a good (easy to follow) beginner pattern or a book that is easy to follow, I'd be grateful!

I never ever heard of this but now I MUST try.

I love the look of tapestry crochet, but I find it really hard to do.

Mosaic seems (on the face of it) to be easier to do, but sounds like its much harder to follow the pattern instructions.

I need to research this. If anyone has a link to a good (easy to follow) beginner pattern or a book that is easy to follow, I'd be grateful!

Is is just me or is it really annoying when the "Jargon for Crochet" uses the exact same word for two completely different techniques.

I can understand having more than one name for a technique because of regional differences as we see in Tunisian, Afghan, Railroad knitting and Fisherman knitting for that stuff you do with an afghan hook :wlol, but why use the exact same name for two completely different things... :sigh

Not that I am likely to be doing either other than by happenstance.

After doing tapesty and mosiac, they look on the surface like the same thing, but you're right Darski, two completely different techniques and I don't look at them the same since...

I bought one of the mosiac crocheting books from Annie's Attic and did do one of the afghans from it. I've done both tapesty and mosiac crocheting and although the instructions for mosiac is a bit daunting, once I got the hang of it, I liked it better than tapesty because I didn't have to drag along the extra color...I really liked the effect better. Tapesty's great, but I'm constantly fighting the extra yarn as I work with the other color...

If I can be of any extra help, please let me know...just remember this...you are working two rows with one color...going to and coming back and then switch color for two more rows, going to and coming back. Say you're using green and white...you work with green and where there's a green square you do a sc. If you come to a square that is white and you're working with green, you chain 2 (for one square, if it's two white squares and so on you do 3 and so on...this is to keep the row from puckering...) When you switch to white when you hit those chains made from the previsious row, you will do a dc in front of the chains on the right side. It's tricky, but keep reading the instructions and practising and believe me it will get easier. Before I started the afghan I did a swatch just for practise so that I understood the concept first.

This afghan is by far my favorite of all the afghans I've ever made. I did it in Lion Brand Woolese and me and my cat fight over it...that's how much we love it.

Thanks! Something you wrote really clicked...I think I got it! Still having problems with repeat rows/patterns. Seems like I'm reading the chart one way and the written instructions are different than chart.

charkitty

Thanks! Something you wrote really clicked...I think I got it! Still having problems with repeat rows/patterns. Seems like I'm reading the chart one way and the written instructions are different than chart.

charkitty

Yeah it seems that way at first...but I have to admit, the written instructions could be written a little better. When I started the afghan, it was a year ago and then we went right into a monster month long heat wave and I put the project down until January...so when I picked up the project again, although I basically knew what to do, I had to reread the instructions more than once to get the concept back in my head. And in my opinion, you really need the written first and understand that well before you can really start working with the graph...but once you start really taking off on the graph, you won't need the written directions for the rest of the project...

If you have any problems with your project as you're working on it, hollar...send me a pm if you have to...

I think charkitty is talking about this:

http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=20282

It's a bit different than tapestry crochet. I guess it's a form of it, but the instructions in these particular books are hard to understand. I understand tapestry crochet itself though I haven't done any.

Oh no! This is something ELSE I'll have to try.:lol

I've learned a lot since joining this group. Thanks so much for the opportunity!

OK, I just realized I have the Lily Chin book. Unlike the AA book, Lily's book Mosaic Magic Afghans Made Easy actually spells out the pattern. In the AA book, you have to follow a chart, and if the box is white on a color row or vice versa, you either SC, chain over, or DC a few rows below. It's confusing, but Lily has dumbed it down for me!

Mosaic Crocheting always looked to confusing to me so I have never attempted it. By the way what does lol stand for?

Laugh Out Loud is what lol stands for...

Is there a web site with Mosaic Crochet instructions/patters? I'm chomping at the bit, but hesitate to fork out $25 for a book!

Father's day is around the corner, Dad! :hook

Archived