Crochet with beads

PamT

I am somewhat new at crocheting and I have seen some lovely patterns using beads. I have tried them but I can never figure out how to get the beads on the crochet thread. If I use a sewing needle, the eye and thread are too large to get through the hole in the bead. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks,

PamT

What I have done to get my strung onto the thread is take some thin, I mean thin thin wire and fold in half over the thread, than the folded ends twist them real tight till they are small enough to go thru the holes of the seed beads.

If you are using Czech beads, their holes are often irregular. Japanese beads are much more regular. Also, there are different sizes of beads, you might want to try some larger ones. They come numbered between 6/0 to 20/0, with 6/0 being the largest. There are also Delica beads, which are actually cylinder beads and have very large holes.

You can either buy a special needle for threading, do the twisty wire thing, keep cutting the thread and getting a point to push through, or buy your beads in hanks. Hanks are usually ~200 beads on a thin string. You tie one end of the string onto the crochet thread, and slide 'em on down.

I use size 8 seed beads for my size 10 crochet thread. I dab some glue on my thread about 2" to use it as a needle to string on beads. Japanese seed beads works best for this since they are more even. I love crocheting with beads. :manyheart

This is how I do it, too. Works like a charm. But I use nail polish instead of glue.

I dab some glue on my thread about 2" to use it as a needle to string on beads.

I also use nail polish on the thread.. or if there is a wider hole in the bead, I get a bead needle for jewlery.

Usually I bead crochet with wire, so threading is no problem, (except for the time threading the gadzillion beads that I use)

like here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=63333#post63333

This is how I do it, too. Works like a charm. But I use nail polish instead of glue.

Hmmm....nail polish must be better.....it dries quicker! Will have to try it! :D

It does seem to dry a bit faster but the main reason I like it better is that nail polish makes it stiffer than glue. Though I guess it depends on what kind of glue you use. :P

• 4 months later...

Try the Big Eye needle. You can find out about it on most craft sales sites, especially if they sell beads. I love mine, and although I can't use it on the tiny, tiny beads, it works great with anything I'm using size 10 thread for

• 6 months later...
I am somewhat new at crocheting and I have seen some lovely patterns using beads. I have tried them but I can never figure out how to get the beads on the crochet thread. If I use a sewing needle, the eye and thread are too large to get through the hole in the bead. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks,

PamT

When crocheting with beads, after you have string them on using a Big Eye needle and you need more later in your crochet project.,,,what I do is use a small crochet hook insert it into the bead all the way thru till the tip of the crochet hook peeps out grab yarn or thread with your hook and pull it thru your bead,,put down the small crochet hook and continue to crochet with the crochet hook you are using for your crochet project.

Its not hard.

Also if you cannot get the beads on your big eye needle to go thru onto the thread...I use sewing thread thru the big eye needle but also attached to the crochet thread like looped it on.---hard to explain...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thread your sewing needle with both ends of the sewing thread, so that you have two ends on one side and a loop at the other. Pass your crochet thread through the loop, pull it up tight against the eye of the needle and thread your beads.

I was just about to embark on a bead project with size 3 thread. If I'm not mistaken, you're saying you string ALL the beads onto the thread before you start, then just slide them down to use as you want them? That is SUCH a great idea, I hadn't thought of doing that. So glad I read this thread.

Archived