Granny Square Purse--EASY :D

Of course, this pattern is one based off of Granny Squares... haha.

I used bright colours for mine, but of course any colours will work.

507008250_7e0a047b9b_m.jpg

That is the finished bag. (See the brightness :D)

Alright, so here's how I make the granny squares, but feel free to do it your way ^^ Any square will work! :D

For the main bag:

Make 2:

Of the first colour: Chain 6 and sl st into the first ch. Chain 2. Dbl ch 2 into the center of the loop. **Chain 3. Dbl ch 3 into the loop.** Repeat ** around until you have 3 corners, then chain 3 and sl st into the top stitch of the first dbl ch stem. End that colour and pull out the next one!

Of the second colour: Start the new yarn in any corner by chain 2. Into the corner: Dbl ch 2, chain 3, then dbl ch 3 more. **Chain 1 and into the corner: dbl ch 3, chain 3, dbl ch 3** Repeat ** around until you reach the first corner, then chain 1 and sl st into the first dbl ch stitch. Sl st until the beginning of the corner, then chain 2, proceeded by dbl ch 2, chain 3, dbl ch 3. Repeat ** around, and dbl ch 3 into each space that you should have. End with a sl st and bring out the first colour again.

Of the first colour: Do one round of the first colour.

Of the second colour: Do two rounds of the second colour.

Of a third colour: Do two rounds.

Of a contrasting colour (This is the black): Do the corners as normal and dbl ch into every stitch around.

Sew them together on three sides with a simple sl st and turn right side out.

For the flap:

Make 3 mini granny squares with the first three colours that you used, 2 rounds for each. Single ch around the edge of each with the contrasting colour, and bind them all together with a simple sl st. At the bottom of the row of squares, dbl ch into each stitch across with the contrasting colour. At the top of the row of squares, dbl ch into each stitch across with the contrasting colour again, 2 rows. You can choose to make the flap longer by adding a second row of squares.

Add the flap onto the main bag by sl st the top of the row of squares (the 2 rows of dbl ch) onto the bag. For ease, just put it onto the outside of the bag, right side in, and sl st on.

For the strap:

Of each of the three colours, make 4 (add or subtract for longer or shorter straps) itty bitty granny squares (1 round only, the beginning part) and single ch around each. Sew them all together with the sl st. Single ch in the contrasting coulour down the whole row, and on the other side as well. On each end, dbl ch some rows so that you can sew the strap onto the side of the bag. I added more for length. I did 12 on each end.

To sew on the strap:

Form the ends of the strap into a triangle and sew onto the outside of the bag, where the seam is, on each side. I used the same colour yarn and made sure it was sewn on good by making two rounds :yes

And that's it! Yay!! I made mine in... 2 days I think. It was my first project, and I've used it already!

:manyheart

You did a great job girlie-girl! I love the colors you chose. I'm glad you posted the pattern. :)

Wow, I really like that bag, would love to make one, but cant untill all my other WIPs are complete, so will put it on my to do list.

Great job and thanks for sharing

I love your purse. So pretty! I was going to ask, too, about the lining.

Maybe you've had the baby by now. Please come on and tell us about the baby. Hugs to you and the little one.

Nope, still no baby for her! (She's my sister...don't worry everyone, I'll be sure to let EVERYONE know when the time comes!!!!)

We are waiting and waiting...I think I am more anxious then she is!! :lol

I asked her about the lining...and she said that it was not. But I'm sure you could line it very easily!! :) If you are just keeping a wallet and a cell phone in there you might not need it, though! :yes

We are still waiting for the baby to arrive, she's my daughter as well as vcufashion419. :D

The purse is great, she takes it everywhere! I don't think you would need to line it unless you put little things in there. She's got a wallet and a journal in there right now along with crackers.

• 8 months later...

Archived