Welcome to the zoo! - 12 July 2007 update

I'm plunging headfirst into my zoo project. I'm mismatching different patterns that I like from all over the internet. The hardest part will be getting them about the same scale! I'd like them all to be fairly small, nothing taller than five inches if I can help it. I'm doing a "practice" version of each one, since I'm a relatively new crocheter and these will be gifts for a little girl turning two in August. I have until the last week of July. I'm not crocheting anything else.

Does anyone else think I'm crazy!?

camel

parrot

snake

alligator

giraffe

zebra

elephant

octopus

seal

dolphin

tortoise

hippo

brown bear

polar bear

lion

petting zoo (the petting zoo can be omitted if I simply run out of time. She can get it for Christmas instead!) :yes

cow

sheep

pig

horse

duck

chicken

~ Joy

Wow! You are very ambitious - but I can't wait to see how they all turn out! I'm sure the recipient will treasure her zoo for years to come.

I hope you will update us with pics as you finish each animal :)

:clap this sounds like a cut idea!! Wish i had some kids of my own or know of those that had kids and i would do this with you. Good luck keep us updated with photos and such as you finish:D

Sounds like fun. Stuffed animals make up fairly quick. Especially if you're trying to do smaller ones. I didn't see monkey on the list. They're always my favorite to see when we go to the zoo.

Good luck!

That sounds like so much fun!! Another cool idea would be to do two of each and find a pattern for an 'ark' of a tote bag to put them all in... It would be tons of work, but I'm sure it would be almost as fun making as getting...

I was just thinking: to try to keep everything about the same size you could use different size yarn (from worsted to sport to fingering, etc.) That way if you crocheted the too large patterns in fingering and the too small patterns in worsted you might have them come out approximately the same size. Post pictures when you can. I'm interested in seeing what it all looks like.

I'm plunging headfirst into my zoo project. I'm mismatching different patterns that I like from all over the internet. The hardest part will be getting them about the same scale! I'd like them all to be fairly small, nothing taller than five inches if I can help it. I'm doing a "practice" version of each one, since I'm a relatively new crocheter and these will be gifts for a little girl turning two in August. I have until the last week of July. I'm not crocheting anything else.

camel

parrot

snake

alligator

giraffe

zebra

elephant

octopus

seal

dolphin

tortoise

hippo

brown bear

polar bear

lion

petting zoo (the petting zoo can be omitted if I simply run out of time. She can get it for Christmas instead!) :yes

cow

sheep

pig

horse

duck

chicken

~ Joy

oh boy, i think you may be asking for trouble! you certainly have your work cut out for you! but you are in the perfect place for support! you will get plenty of it here. so when your feeling fustrated just log on and we will keep you going!!! good luck and keep us posted.

:clap this sounds like a cut idea!! Wish i had some kids of my own or know of those that had kids and i would do this with you. Good luck keep us updated with photos and such as you finish:D

LOL i know of a couple of kids that would love this!!!HAHAHAHAHA

Wow. you have a huge project ahead of you! I hope you will post pics of the zoo, so we can all drool over your creations. I'll cheer you on! :cheer :cheer :cheer

Update! Pictures soon.

~ Joy

camel

parrot

snake

alligator

giraffe

zebra - done!

elephant

octopus - practice done

seal - practice done

dolphin

tortoise

hippo

brown bear

polar bear

lion

cow

sheep

pig

horse

duck

chicken

camel

parrot

snake

alligator

giraffe

zebra

elephant

octopus

seal

dolphin

tortoise

hippo

brown bear

polar bear

lion

cow

sheep

pig

horse

duck

chicken

~ Joy

you need a really pretty swan for your zoo.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so it's been TWO MONTHS since I've had any real progress on the zoo. Thank you to all my sweet hounders who have been keeping my PM box humming!

I've started and stopped the hippo several times. I just can't get it to look right. I think I'm going to try another animal rather than get hung up on this one.

~ Joy

Okay, so it's been TWO MONTHS since I've had any real progress on the zoo. Thank you to all my sweet hounders who have been keeping my PM box humming!

I've started and stopped the hippo several times. I just can't get it to look right. I think I'm going to try another animal rather than get hung up on this one.

~ Joy

That's a good plan... lateral thinking one might say :wlol

Archived