Look at what I got...a puppy!!!

So sweet! My Pooky only weighed 3 pounds when I got him.

During those late night accidents it's hard to remember that their bladders are so tiny on little dogs that it usually takes them a little longer to housetrain. There little bodies have to play catch up with how fast they learn!

How sweet is he?! :manyheart And Chewy is such a cute name. Congrats on the new addition to your family!

Our little cocker was really hard to train! We did the whole take her out every hour, to the same spot every time. But it didn't work for her. So we kennel trained her. Do a search for it on Google or something. She is only just starting to get it. But they(cockers) are typically a hard breed to potty train.

Not everything works for everyone. Try it out and see what works for you.

What a cutie! A former neighbor had a JR terrier and he was a terror. That same house is now home to three St Bernards and a black lab (ohhh....and two humans).

There was something on CNN (I believe) last night about a JR whose artwork is on display and some has been sold. Hey, if elephants can do it, why not canines?

Thanx everyone and yes he is living up to his name. I went to the bathroom this morning and when I got up two of my balls of yarn were one in the hall and the other in the living room. He's gotta learn to never mess with the yarn lol.

He is soooo adorable! Congratulations on your new family member--JRT's are so much fun, and you're just going to love having one around!

As for the biting and nipping, that's a puppy behavior that almost all of them have. The way that worked best for me was to say "ouch" the instant it happened and then to cease all attention on the puppy. Once he/she calms back down you can play again.

As for the chewing on everything, the things that worked really well for me was redirection. I had several varieties of toys in each room, and when I caught Rondo or Gretta chewing on something that wasn't for puppies, I'd cheerfully say "Not for puppies", take whatever it is they're not supposed to have away, and substitute an acceptable toy. When they're young, you have to watch like a hawk because naughtiness can occur in the blink of an eye. One minute they're quietly playing with a dog-approved toy, the next your pillow is in shreds....LOL

I second the motion for crate training. I used it for both my dogs, and it really helped a lot. Dogs are loathe to mess in their sleeping quarters, so it really is a good tool for potty training and a safe place for them to be when you're not around or can't watch them. I also taught my two to ring bells when they need to go. I went to Joann's, bought an assortment of bells, crocheted a panel with the bells attached, and hung it on the doorknob. Whenever either of them have to potty, they bop the bells with their nose and I know that they have to go.

Good luck with your pup!

You have an extremely cute pup Jack Russells have a lot of energy and are very smart. My daughter said "There is a lot to be said for a dumb dog!" lol.

I think crate training is the way to go, too. We have 3 Manchester Terriers and they have been crate trained. Their crate is their security and now that they are older they go there when they want. My grand daughter calls it their "bedroom".

You need to remember that the smaller the dog, the harder it is to train. I think mostly since their bodies process food and drink so quickly. It just takes love and patience. My terriers (which are a similar breed) were totally trained by the time they were a year old.

Lorry

We have a JR Terrier that has been diagnosed as a dwarf that comes to the dog park that my Shih Tzu and I visit. He is the cutest thing going. He has TINY legs bout 1 1/2 inches long maybe 2 if you really stretch them. Then his head is large for his body. Just misproptioned like a dwarf would be.

Congratulations! Chewy is a very cute little puppy. I know you will want to do your best by him. Try getting some Puppy books from a petshop or from the library. Learning about what he needs is fun. Playing with puppies is so much fun. There is no such thing as too many cuddles - my dog told me! LOL

:dog :dog :dog

Archived