**Afghans for Orphans!** ITEMS ARE ON THEIR WAY!**

A BIG BIG BIG thanks to all whom have helped on this project!!! All of the squares were a big help with a total of 6 blankets!!!!! I have photos as well of the finished projects, I need to upload them. My internets been down and I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Steve said that they will get photos of the children recieving the blankets~! I will be more than happy to share those with you all!

:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

My DH's employee is going on a mission trip in June to help out some orphans in Russia or somewhere. I made them (sew) a bunch of little outfits and he asked for anything else that I could come up with by the time he goes. I would LOVE to make up a bunch of afghans for kids to send. Maybe in 6 or 7" squares...So if anyone would like to help me and the orphans out you know they'll be delighted and I'll post pictures of the 'ghan's before they are sent off and maybe I can get him to take pictures once he delivers them :)

Who's in to help!? I have a ton of red and off white, so since these are for kids, any color combos would be nice! Just anything but red and off white!

If you're interested, please let me know and I'll PM you my address where to send. You can send one square or more! :)

Happy Hooking! :hook

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Russian by family lines so you can count me in for at least 1. I do have other commitments with the Fisher House Outreach. I've been looking for a reason to make another grany rec.

Do you have any idea what age range we're talking about here? If they're older kids we'll need some bigger blankies. If they're younger - then it's even easier.

Also - do you know how many kids there will be? - I'd hate to see any of them left out while the ghans are being passed around.

Can you find out for sure where it is that your husband's going? Russia or somewhere is pretty vague.

I know it's a lot of ?????'s 1st thing in the morning and I hate to be a snootch but I'd like to know a little more about any charity I'm giving to.

ps - I just reread your post - I generally don't do squares - I would just send you a blankie.

I have a whole, clean, never used as a wastebasket-can full of granny squares, BRIGHT colors NOT red & white. Just tell me do you want me to edge them in black, white, or something contrasting? (they need 1 more round to get to 6 inches). I can assemble them into a small afghan or send them as-is. It may be a week or so but I'd be happy to help out.

PS I can also throw in some knit hats if you'd like.

I have a whole, clean, never used as a wastebasket-can full of granny squares, BRIGHT colors NOT red & white. Just tell me do you want me to edge them in black, white, or something contrasting? (they need 1 more round to get to 6 inches). I can assemble them into a small afghan or send them as-is. It may be a week or so but I'd be happy to help out.

PS I can also throw in some knit hats if you'd like.

That would be wonderful!!!!

Hats are a plus!

I'm Russian by family lines so you can count me in for at least 1. I do have other commitments with the Fisher House Outreach. I've been looking for a reason to make another grany rec.

Do you have any idea what age range we're talking about here? If they're older kids we'll need some bigger blankies. If they're younger - then it's even easier.

Also - do you know how many kids there will be? - I'd hate to see any of them left out while the ghans are being passed around.

Can you find out for sure where it is that your husband's going? Russia or somewhere is pretty vague.

I know it's a lot of ?????'s 1st thing in the morning and I hate to be a snootch but I'd like to know a little more about any charity I'm giving to.

ps - I just reread your post - I generally don't do squares - I would just send you a blankie.

It's my husbands employee that's going. I will get more information when he gets home tonight! I haven't talked to him yet today.

You girls are all so wonderful!

Bless you and your call to do this!!!! Hugs to you. :hug :hug

My daughter is adopted from China...northern China, near Tibet to be exact. She came from an orphanage with an average of over 200 babies under 2 y/o...year-round...despite the number that are adopted internationally and get to leave. The building where she spent her first year of life was old, run-down, and had no air conditioning (not really needed there though), but also no heat. I have lots of pictures they took for me with a couple of disposable cameras that I sent ahead before we travelled to pick her up and although the babies were usually 3 and 4 tied to one crib with layers of clothing...I am sure they had to be cold almost all the time. I am constantly keeping my eye out for pkgs. of baby socks at the dollar store and hats and stuff and a couple times of year, we send them a care package.

Anyway...to make a long story short (too late for that I guess :blush )...there are so many children around the world who do not have a mommy and a daddy to cuddle them at night and live in conditions that are so alien to how we live in this country. If we had the $$, we would submit our paperwork to adopt kiddo #5....but I don't think that is in God's plan for our life. I am sure that your afghans will be so appreciated and bring comfort to the children who receive them.

Kudos to you for doing this! Your post made my heart warm this morning. :manyheart

Is your husband's employee going with a group? The reason I ask is that a group can take a lot more stuff than just one person.

I think he's going with folks from his church. He did say that anything and everything I can come up with would be great...so I guess he might not have a limit to what he can take. But there is also another employee of my DH's that goes as well, but I think later in the year. So if nessicary I can save what's left for that guy, Sean.

THANKS GUYS!!

:hug:manyheart

Our children are our future. These will be given to all the children there, whether 2 yrs old or 12 yr olds.

Bless you and your call to do this!!!! Hugs to you. :hug :hug

My daughter is adopted from China...northern China, near Tibet to be exact. She came from an orphanage with an average of over 200 babies under 2 y/o...year-round...despite the number that are adopted internationally and get to leave. The building where she spent her first year of life was old, run-down, and had no air conditioning (not really needed there though), but also no heat. I have lots of pictures they took for me with a couple of disposable cameras that I sent ahead before we travelled to pick her up and although the babies were usually 3 and 4 tied to one crib with layers of clothing...I am sure they had to be cold almost all the time. I am constantly keeping my eye out for pkgs. of baby socks at the dollar store and hats and stuff and a couple times of year, we send them a care package.

Anyway...to make a long story short (too late for that I guess :blush )...there are so many children around the world who do not have a mommy and a daddy to cuddle them at night and live in conditions that are so alien to how we live in this country. If we had the $$, we would submit our paperwork to adopt kiddo #5....but I don't think that is in God's plan for our life. I am sure that your afghans will be so appreciated and bring comfort to the children who receive them.

Kudos to you for doing this! Your post made my heart warm this morning. :manyheart

We are in the states right now visiting family and taking a break from our work in Russia. My son and I work in an orpanage... I love visiting the kids rooms because when we go in they are showing off something they just painted or maybe how they have decorated.

If you get an overflow of afghans or squares let me know if you would like me to take some things back. We are leaving the US at the end of June. I probably don't live in the same city as your friend but there are many orphans all over Russia!

Great! Ihave some back-up people and orphans but I will let you know if I have stuff for you to take! :)

We are in the states right now visiting family and taking a break from our work in Russia. My son and I work in an orpanage... I love visiting the kids rooms because when we go in they are showing off something they just painted or maybe how they have decorated.

If you get an overflow of afghans or squares let me know if you would like me to take some things back. We are leaving the US at the end of June. I probably don't live in the same city as your friend but there are many orphans all over Russia!

Hi Sweetie I think its a good idea that you get as much info as you can on this mission trip as my friend too wants to help but she too wants to know more info on where she is donating to..

I also send you a email with photos of the rag dolls I will send you so look for your emails

Hi Sweetie I think its a good idea that you get as much info as you can on this mission trip as my friend too wants to help but she too wants to know more info on where she is donating to..

I also send you a email with photos of the rag dolls I will send you so look for your emails

Yes, I understand that I too, would want info on this. I wouldn't just donate to some lost cause or whatever. Well, they do this every year so I know the people. I will have more info tonight, unless I speak to DH sometime before he gets home. :):hook

Rachy and Blackpurl, thanks for the information. When I get roll'n I can make a lot of things. I have a couple of previous committments, but I will not forget you. Hugs, Mary

My aunt has a freind who also does mission trips and I'm going to be making HER some hats as well (I knew the brightly colored stash yarns would come in handy some day). :yarn

She made a good point too:

SPACE BAGS!

You can get 3x as much stuff if you can use space bags.

Charity stuff like this is a real lifesaver for me when I'm depressed :yes

Stupid bipolar illness...

Off I go to make up some "Happy" squares (I figure orphans want bright colors) and hats. :hug

Archived