Good Crochet Project For Engagement Present?

I just received some good news this weekend. My brother is planning on proposing to his girlfriend in the very near future!

I'm wondering if anyone has ever crocheted anything for an engagement present....and if so, what did you crochet? What do you guys think would be a good engagement present for them? Or should I hold off and crochet them something for their wedding present instead?

I think my answer depends on how long they're going to be engaged before the wedding. My DH and I were engaged less than a year. As much as I would have appreciated both an 'engagement' and a 'wedding' present that was crocheted for me, it seems almost silly. If they're thinking of a 1 or 2 year engagement (or longer), then sure, make them something, maybe not a full afghan, but something smaller.

I'd think something fun would be good. Maybe I'd make your brother's fiance a purse or a bag or something, something usefull. As I've never been in this situation myself, I have no real constructive ideas....

I think they're planning on being engaged for at least a year...maybe 2. I'm not sure. You're probably right about waiting until the wedding to make them something. But what to make for the wedding...hmmm...I guess I have plenty of time to figure it out.

I made a afghan for my brother and sister in law for their wedding present! they have been married for over 18 years and they still have it! :yay

How about a nice little pillow for him to present the ring to her on? Or for them to use at the wedding as the ring bearer's pillow and then as a sachet in her pretty underthing's drawer after?

Or, if he's going to take her out to a fancy dinner to pop the question, a cute little evening bag or a nice stole/wrap?

I have made several wedding presents over the years, and the ones that are most appreciated are the filet-crochet mats done with the couples monogram, or with the last name.

In crochet pattern a day 2006 there's a very pretty cro-tat photo album cover...for the small albums...the only crotat is on the border, and flower on the cover...it'd be easy to do a lacy crochet border, and a thread crochet flower, as opposed to cro-tat, if you don't know how to do the latter.

The cover was done in thread, I think, and was mainly a long rectangle, slightly larger than the album, and the ends fold over (like a dust jacket on the "higher end" hard back books). That could make a lovely engagement gift...just right for engagement px, if they have any done...

just my 0.02

Dont know about an engagement gift but I think Tiga's suggestion of a ring cushion is a lovely idea. As for a wedding present I usually make the couple an afghan with their names on it and the date of their wedding. I am currently making one for my friend Tracey who is getting married on 12/4/07. It is made using white double knitting wool with their wedding date at the bottom using Twilleys siver coloured gold dust thread then a motiff of bride and groom in the middle an then their names with a heart in between them. Just hoping I can get it finished in time as I have run out of the golddust and have even tried ordering it online but it is out of stock!

I just received some good news this weekend. My brother is planning on proposing to his girlfriend in the very near future!

I'm wondering if anyone has ever crocheted anything for an engagement present....and if so, what did you crochet? What do you guys think would be a good engagement present for them? Or should I hold off and crochet them something for their wedding present instead?

From a giving standpoint, everything I have crocheted to give to people as wedding or shower gifts has been at their request. They told me what they wanted me to make, and I made it.

From a receiving standpoint, the best gift I ever got was a shower gift that I received from a friend of my mother's. It was a huge afghan made from scrap yarn. It was big enough to be used as a spread for a full-sized bed, and it had what seemed like hundreds of different colors in it. Sadly, it was lost in a flood (the basement flooded and it got soaked with oily water from furnace fuel) and it was lost, but it was absolutely spectacular, and, I imagine, quite a stash-buster for the lady who crocheted it. :)

Elle

Archived