Post # 158, 112, 84, 58, 33 Mystery CAL for Beginning Threadies...

heart

Beautiful job, Mimi, and looks like a pretty color to me, even if I'm not sure what color it is! :D :D (partially color blind here :eek).

Many years ago I told my boss (who knew I was partially color blind) that his tie was pretty. After a minute he looked back at me and teasingly said, "How would you know?" Told him that was the last time I'd pay him a compliment! :lol

Well, here I am at almost 4:30 a.m. est finishing up my 2nd one! :yes

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's back to bed for me! Was almost finished with the never ending Round 10...seems like you ch 5, sc over and over and over f-o-r-e-v-e-r-!...when I discovered a mistake on Round 9. You know the ch 2 space where you 3dc, ch2, 3dc? Well, on about the 9th ch 2 space, all I had was 3dc :cry:cry :cry. And I was almost finished :cry :cry :cry ! :frog:frog:frog !

I was gonna tack the 2 doilies that are not doilies together with the blown-up balloon inside and post a photo! :rofl:rofl:rofl

I have some {crochet hooks} so old they have the price on the hook -- 10 cents! Can you believe it? I'll have to see if I can get a pic of that!
Here's the pic of the 10 cent crochet hook:

th_No8wide.jpg

clickable

I just learned how to do clickables from Photobucket! :D:clap:cheer:c9

Well here's mine. I could've blocked them a bit better, but it was late:( and I was tired and wanted to get to bed. There's a bit of difference between the 2 ...I was a little looser on the second one.

Can't wait to find out the end result.

th_IMAG0025-1.jpg

Day 5 ( I have a few errands this morning, so I will be back afterwhile to help with any questions and post photos. ) Enjoy!

Yeah!!! Last day for those of you who want to go farther than the doily! Those of you who used # 10 thread, it is a coaster. Lay the two together, wrong sides together, so that you have the pattern repeats matching, and the 2 right sides facing out. We are counting both corresponding ch5 loops as 1, so when you crochet into 1 space, you will be going through both loops, front and back, at the same time. Keep the 2 doilies in the same position, pin it together a few times if you need to. We will finish it today.

If you have never worked with thread before, I hope you will be pleasantly suprised with our final project!

Attach thread into any 2 (front and back) doily loops, from now on counting the front and back as 1 loop.

ch1, sc in same loop, skip next loop, {into next loop do dc, ch1, 6 times, and dc, so you will have a shell with 7 dc, and 6 ch1 sps. sk next loop sc into the next loop, sk next loop}, continue around in this pattern until you have closed the doilies around, leaving about 11 or 12 loops per side unworked, so you will have an opening. ending with a sc,

Handle...into the next loop do 3dc, chain 3, into the top of the last dc, put 2dc, ch3, into the top of the last dc put 2dc, so you are making a handle, without turning, it will have a small scallop. I like a shorter handle, just big enough to hang over the wrist, maby about 12" long, you can go as long or short as you want. When your handle is long enough for you, end on the other side of the opening {skipping the center 11 or 12 loops per side}, do 3dc into that last loop before the shell starts. slst into the beg. sc of shell border and finish off. You can sew in a liner if you want, just remember it will be seen so put the "pretty side" of the fabric facing out.

Oh how fun...I can't wait to finish mine. I'm a day behind. I went to walmart looking for size 3 thread and all they had were white and cream. I wanted a fun color so I am just doing it in my fingering yarn for now. Thank you Sarah for such a nice project.

Could not go back to sleep so I finished the 2nd doily that isn't a doily. But, alas, the only 2 balloons I found had holes in them. So, stuffed with used fabric softener sheets, I laced the 2 doilies that are not doilies together, and made a rope javelin or meteor ball...a fearsome weapon!!!! :lol

Here's a pic for your enjoyment:

th_DCP01420cropped.jpg

clickable

I have not looked at any of the posts since I signed on this time so I don't know yet what Sarah is up to.

Now, here are my finished doilies that are not doilies in all their splendor and beauty:

th_doilies.jpg

(clickable)

:cheer:clap:yay

And I will have to now see what Sarah has in store for our doilies that are not doilies!

:D

Could not go back to sleep so I finished the 2nd doily that isn't a doily. But, alas, the only 2 balloons I found had holes in them. So, stuffed with used fabric softener sheets, I laced the 2 doilies that are not doilies together, and made a rope javelin or meteor ball...a fearsome weapon!!!! :lol

Here's a pic for your enjoyment:

th_DCP01420cropped.jpg

clickable

I have not looked at any of the posts since I signed on this time so I don't know yet what Sarah is up to.

I'm back now, hubby woke up on the wrong side of the bed and wanted to go looking for a new mattress. We didn't find one, well we did, but they had to order it. Anywho....

:lol:D:clap You are some kinda funny! Have you tried it yet?

I'm going to read the rest of the posts too see.....Anyone figure it out yet? I'll have photos soon.

Suzy, Jeannie, and Mimi...Beautiful!!! I love them!

Tip on the last days instructions...

***Where it says this...

ch1, sc in same loop, skip next loop, {into next loop do dc, ch1, 6 times, and dc, so you will have a shell with 7 dc, and 6 ch1 sps. sk next loop sc into the next loop, sk next loop}, continue around in this pattern until you have closed the doilies around, leaving about 11 or 12 loops per side unworked, so you will have an opening. ending with a sc,

the key is to leave enough open to fit your hand through. So for the entire opening, depending on how many loops you leave unworked...you will have a total of 22-24 loops open (counting both sides), with the rest closed around.

(Hope I haven't confused you, just wanted to explain with out giving it away)

Here is a close up of the "handle" thought it might help, since you do not turn, you keep your work right side facing you. Anyone finished yet? I'm itching to post the finished photo. Here's the close up...

th_01.jpg (clickable to see it better)

OK I am a tiny bit "lost"...LOL. As to leaving some of the loops unworked. :eek I have this very bad habit of just jumping right in and crocehting as I read...so once I got the stitching downpat for going around - I didn't bother to read that part. But I am a little lost..

Post the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Let me clarify = I can't understand how to leave 11 loops unworked without having to finish off and reattach new thread? Or am I just being totally dim witted this morning?????????

I bet I am going to be really embarrassed

OK I am a tiny bit "lost"...LOL. As to leaving some of the loops unworked. :eek I have this very bad habit of just jumping right in and crocehting as I read...so once I got the stitching downpat for going around - I didn't bother to read that part. But I am a little lost..

Post the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

:cheer:clap;) It's my Sweet Little Doily Bag"!!:yay:hook:manyheart

That's why some of it needs to be left open...

th_sweetlittledoilybag.jpg

Clickable

I'll post another photo in a few minutes, soon as it uploads...

What a cute little bag! I can't wait to finish mine, but I don't have time to put a lining in it until next week when I can get some sewing machine time. Hopefully I'll finish row 10 today of my green one, and get some pics up.

Here it is inuse! It is not lined yet, I just put in a piece of white paper for show. To line it, just measure and cut 2 circle peces of fabric to fit your finished size, (b/c of 1/2" seam allowance, you should be able to cut it the same size as the bag) sew it up and tack it in with the "pretty" side facing out b/c it will be seen through the open work of the bag. You can do a double lining if you want the inside to be pretty too.

th_Captured2007-2-2200000.jpg

A sachet is good too. I've seen vintage ones that are small and chained onto a ring to hold in the hand as a change purse, or hold your dance card, ( yes, they used to have dance cards with the names of the gentlemen you were going to dance with in the 1800's) I think it would be a sweet little purse in # 10, I may have to try that later. Can't wait to see your photos. Since I had a request I went ahead and posted it. Hope I didn't upset anyone. The suspence was driving me nuts! :D

Oooooh..that is precious! I love it.

Ok I used #10 so I need to ignore those instructions and just sew mine together..LMAO.

hahaha! You're too funny! It is kinda hard to picture something with out a picture, kinda out of the box...er...bag!:D

hahaha! You're too funny! It is kinda hard to picture something with out a picture, kinda out of the box...er...bag!:D

Laugh - now I really feel dumb. I wasn't trying to be funny - (well maybe a little:P ) but I thought you said that those of us that used #10 thread had made a coaster?

but I could make a little purse with mine...guess I am going to try and finish it up..then I will post a pic.

Oh My goodness!! I really do feel dumb NOW. BOTH sides - you mean both pieces...I thought you meant leave 11 loops alone on both sides of the piece - like on bottom and top. Aye yi yi yi. I couldn't figre THAT one out to save my life...

Archived