FEBRUARY Charity Square-A-Long! (February 9th-12th)

LavenderBear

Hello! It's been a BUSY few weeks for me with school and I've also been pretty sick with this icky cold, so I haven't been around C'Ville very much!! BUT that doesn't stop our next Charity Square-A-Long, which starts TOMORROW! Gather your yarn and warm up those hooks and let us know if you're planning to join us! :hook Also, be sure and post your totals RIGHT AWAY so we can get an accurate count of EVERYONE's completed squares!!! :yay We will start tomorrow (Friday) morning and end Monday night! Go, team, go!!! :cheer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! You can make any size squares and for any charity and in any yarn types and colors you'd like! This is a monthly crochet-a-long that encourages those participating to make charity squares while getting the motivation and encouragement from others to accomplish the goals that you are attempting to meet! :yes Personally, I am making 4" and 6" squares for a local group I co-own (Metro Detroit Crafters)! I am making them in a variety of acrylic colors, and they will be turned into hats, scarves, afghans, lapghans, and animal blankies! Make whatever you'd like and donate them to the charity of your choice! :manyheart

Can't wait to get started tomorrow! :cheer

I am so excited about this!!! Ater talking with my Pastor, and deciding to take on making comfortghans for various people in our community!! I don't have a final number yet but 10-15 ghans are needed, at 48 6" squares for each I need at least 480 squares! So, my goal for this weekend is to complete enough squares for 1 1/2 ghans, so that is 72 suares. Over 4 days that is 18 per day, I hope I can do it.

I think I'll join this CAL, although I'm not sure what kind of squares to make or what Charity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ah, count me out. I was mistaken as my squares will be for a cardigan CAL. Bad weekend to do charity CAL for me. My apologies. Also, I am trying to finish up one more square for a charity tonight, and mail them next day. I will keep an eye on this CAL once I get more WIPs done.

:lol donna, I know what you mean about the plain granny being done in your sleep. I love that I can do it in total darkness and not mess it up! And it works up so quickly, it can't be beat!

My new favorite square though, is the wheel in a square, or circle in a square, from the first 63 pattern stitches book. I LOVE it! I'm hoping to make a few of those this weekend.

Oh boy!! I've been looking for this to come up again, as I couldn't remember when it was. I would like to be in on it. :) I'll just be using up scraps, and may make a scrap granny afghan. I'm thinking about doing this rectangular granny square into an afghan so that I don't have to sew the squares together. I did it once in scraps, just crochetted with a color until I ran out of it, and it turned out really great. Here's the pattern with a great picture tutorial on how to do it:

http://iamtotallyobsessedwithyarn.blogspot.com/2006/01/granny-square-pattern-with-pictures.html

Wahoo!! :)

Victoria

Today is the first day! Only problem is I'm helping at my daughters school today so I have to wait till about noon to get started!! :eek lol

I'm in,I don't know how many I'll get done this time,I've been pressed into service helping my daughter getting ready for a move.

my squares will be 12 inch for Aelita,and 6 inch for Judianne for Hartwyck and her bereavement ministry.

Linda

Good morning/afternoon/evening/day to all of you!! I know we're all in different time zones, so that greeting should cover everyone!! ;)

I was woken in the night by a fire engine and ambulance across the street twice and I couldn't go back to sleep for a bit. Soooooooooo, since it was after midnight and the beginning of our square-a-long, I began to make my squares! I only have three done, but that's definitely a start! :hook

I see we have some NEWBIES here - YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! And then we have some of our REGULARS coming back for another round - YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! As as time goes on we usually get some more to join us, so get ready for some GREAT motivation and FUN here!! :cheer

Last month I had an old book from the library that showed me how to take five 12" squares and sew them together, add a handle, and use it as a large tote! Well, I didn't use a thicker or different kind of yarn as it had suggested, but it still turned out just fine! I have my 60+ squares from that round in there (green, pink, and blue) and I'm adding more to it from this round (red so far). I am going to have a FULL bag of 4.5" squares pretty soon and will have to have a SQUARE PIECING PARTY - what I like to call it when I piece together squares to make charity items! :yes

I'm going to put on a pot of hot tea (it's chilly here in Michigan) and make a few more squares before I tackle some more homework! FEEL FREE to post when you have your first square made and tell us more about your plans, colors, sizes, etc.! You never know what we can "adopt" from one another as we share! Afterall, Great Minds Think Alike, right?! And we ALL have GREAT minds since we are crocheters who create!! :yay

Ok, let's BOOGIE!!!!!!!!! :clap

Well, so far I have completed 5 squares, and have the centers of 6 more waiting to be finished. But now it is lunch time and the kids are awful picky about eating, :rofl

I am making standard grannies and circle in a squares for this rnd. All 6" to be used toward comforghans I am going to be making. My colors used so far are Navy blue, red and yellow... in 2 squares. Green and white in 2 squares, and plum for the 5th one I completed today. The centers I have ready are 2 in Oasis, 2 in purple, and 2 in white. And will be finished with tan, rose, and green respectively. I have a bunch of barely used skeins, and some balls that I'm going through, so nothing really organized as far as colors go. So, not sure all the squares made this weekend will be used in the same ghan, :lol

Colors left are a pinks verigated, rose, tan, brown, pale blue, and green. Once I use these up I'll hit another section of my stash. I hope to get more done after either lunch or cleaning today. Can't decide if I should clean before I tackle the rest, or if I should put the cleaning off until tomorrow.... decisions, decisions.

Good luck every one and happy :hook

I'll check back later.

Ok, I've got 12 squares done and am going to take an errand and lunch break! I'm also going to hide the ends on these 12 before I start the next ones! I did that last time (after every 8 squares) and I was SO RELIEVED to not have to hide ends when the square-a-long was over!

Be back later! :yay

Suzzanne, I know what you mean about the ends. I still have 1/2 of the squares from January waving their ends at me as I walk by them every day.

No squares done so far, just home on lunch and checking out the 'ville.

Archived