tendonitis anyone?

right now i am really really suffering from tendonitis in the left elbow! i had surgery on the right elbow about 8 yrs. ago and now i'm having problems with the left. i know it comes from crocheting, because for one thing i know i crochet way too tight! i just can't seem to loosen up! i had a shot of cortosone in that elbow yesterday and believe me that hurt worst than the tendonitis...anyway, now i have to hold off on crocheting for a bit, but that stinks! anyone our there had the same problem and is there anything to do to help with the tight crocheting? thanks:(

I have it in both wrist I just take a break from crocheting for awhile and pick up my counted cross stitch and work on that. Just need to take breaks more often! Also try putting a pillow under the sore arm!

I can sympathize. Prednisone pills helped me a lot, but made my face break out in a purple rash. Now I take time off in between crochet days and take ibuprofen. Have you also tried hot or cold packs? I crochet pretty loosely, so I don't have too much advice there. Have you tried putting a cushion grip on your hook? They make them just for hooks or you can try a pencil grip from the school supply aisle. Good luck!

I have and in my feet and calves too.

I also am Diabetc, have arthris everywhere. So I know where you are coming from

I have the tunnel syndrome too.

Oh yes, I have recently developed tendinitis as well, in my right elbow (I am right handed). I notice it is a LOT worse after I crochet. :( Last night I was making a dishcloth with Peaches & Cream yarn, and there is something about that yarn that really makes it hurt!! Maybe 'cause the yarn doesn't glide easily?? I find it less painful to crochet snowflakes with thread! I have started taking ibuprofen twice daily to help with inflammation. It helps some.

I have flares of bursitis in my shoulders when I "over" crochet or knit. When I switch from knit to crochet or the other way around and start using another muscle group, I have trouble. I went to a chiropractor once and he actually told me to stop knitting (I was knitting at the time)! :no I told him it was his job to fix me so I could keep going! :yes

I use ibuprofen and another over the counter product called Percogesic. Also, I have a "corn bag" that I heat in the microwave. To make one, go to a feed store and buy some corn (the kind they feed to animals), get some 100% cotton and sew up a bag about 10 to 12" square. put in enough corn to make it squishy and sew it shut. Heat in the microwave about 3 min or so. The corn holds the heat a long time and you're not bound by an electric cord.

I have tendonitis that flares up from time to time. I find that wearing those "Handeze" craft gloves (you can get them in craft stores or your LYS) helps a lot. Also, I now take FREQUENT breaks while crocheting. I literally go at the rate of 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off, etc.

I've also trained myself to use my computer mouse left-handed--that way, I can save my right arm for crocheting :D . Speaking of the computer, make sure that your computer set-up is ergonomically sound...that could also be contributing to your tendonitis.

Just started having pain in my right wrist... DH says it's not at tendinitis yet, but I have to take more frequent breaks, use ice and stretch more. So now I crochet 15 minutes here and there instead of hours at a stretch. I haven't tried ice yet, but plan to. Just switched my mouse to the left (thanks Pam!) so I can "preserve" my wrist for more important things :lol ! I was thinking of teaching myself to crochet lefty, too. I'd have to have special "lefty" projects and "righty" projects to do, though - I can't figure that I'd be able to go from one to the other!

Oh, the agony of DE FEET! :rofl

i've had problems like this too. it came from a condition called frozen shoulder. (layman's term) something with the rotator thing. the doctor told me that my arm hurt because i was over-compensating because of the shoulder pain. (?) got cortisone shot but it didn't help. surgery suggested but did physical therapy first. it worked. this was about 10 years ago. my right wrist has been hurting lately. i eased off of crocheting and i just moved my mouse to the left side. (thanks for the tip) hope this helps.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome, more often than not, it's my left hand that goes numb, and I have to stop and clinch and unclinch it, shake it out and it's usually ok and I go back to crocheting. It's a bad day when both hands repeadtedly get numb, and so I normally don't crochet on those kinds of days...But I have learned to take frequent breaks, even if it's just to lie my work in my lap for 10 minutes and watch tv.

I had to start wearing a compression glove with a velcro wrist brace, and it helps tremendously, my fingers still tingle, but nothing like the way they did prior to getting the brace. My wrist doesn't ache like it did either.:yes

I have tendinitis in various upper body joints... I try to stay away from cotton and other yarns that don't glide. I also crochet loosely. If I notice pain, I try to relax while I crochet, slow down a lot, and take breaks.

It's important to exercise the muscles as well as stretch them. It gets the blood moving through the tissue and helps it heal, and minimizes adhesions from forming in the tissue. My wonderful chiropractor told me to exercise my hands/upper arms in the opposite direction of how I use them when I crochet. For instance, opening your hand and flexing them back at the wrist joint works out and relaxes the muscles on the top of your hand and forearm. that means less pulling/tension at the elbow tendons. It's counterintuitive to exercise a muscle to relax it, but it works! But I have to be careful about the exercise if the injury is serious.

I just went to the doctor last Friday for the pain in my wrists and hands. I figured it was probably carpal tunnel syndrome. So far the dr thinks it is De Quervain's tenosynovitis. It's more in my thumbs than it is my wrists and hands.

He put me in two splints (one on each hand) that immobilize your thumbs. Quite annoying. I couldn't do a THING wearing both of them, so I've only been wearing my left one, since that hurts more. I do wear both of them during the night.

I'm supposed to wear them all the time (except in the shower), including when I sleep. I have to go back in about a month and we'll see how it's doing. Next thing would be cortizone shots and surgery as a last resort.

It sucks. I can't crochet and it's so hard at work, since I'm a the computer and typing all day. I can't afford to take off. We're so busy at work and I need the money.

Sorry to make it about me. I hope yours gets better. Ibuprofen does help with the inflammation.

I have it in both wrists. I took an herbal capsule when I lived in America, and it helped it a lot. Now that I am moved, I can't find the herbs, or can't get it ordered, either.

Archived