Our House Part One (go to Part Two for posting)

JulieKay

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good morning ladies :flowers

Erin - Your ghan looks marvelous! And what a bargain :tup

Thank you! I really wanna go to the trade place but I chose MM instead. My ghan will just have to wait a bit.

Yup. He has a three day weekend, so I get a nice stretch of me time.

Pray you don't find much! What kind of a wish is that?!? Here's hoping you find lots of really nice stuff at sweet low prices. :devil

Oh I was being sarcastic ;) but I think you knew that. I found goodies, not a ton but some none the less. The tent sale was kinda neat, but if I go again I'll go on the day where you get 20% off your tent items. In the store was kinda messy. I was kinda upset about that. They had a whole section with more tent items that was just a mess. Stuff everywhere. The mini sections in the store were neat and orderly but then there were isles that were just a mess and kinda just thrown together. Kinda hard to shop but I managed... I am about to do a photoshoot with my finds, will post pics soon :hook It was worth the drive though.

Can you believe I made that?? Haha, I was pleased, and of course went and got a few more supplies to make many more on some spare time. Maybe sell someday? hmmmm.

Glad you like it!!! I think yours was one of those I needed to put more stamps on... lol !!

I'm glad you found lots of goodies. :clap

I read one of my new quilt books today. It may have the answer on how to put this big quilt together without having to take a class on using a longarm machine and renting one to do all the quilting. :idea I'm going to go over it with Rosie and see what she thinks of the method they describe. You quilt individual sections and then put the sections together first stitching the top pieces together, then abutting the batting layers, and finally hand sewing the backings together. :think Hmmmm.... It might just work....Especially since I'm essentially putting the top together in multiple blocks that are then joined together to make the whole.....Hmmm....I definitely need a second opinion on this from someone who does quilting. :yes

I read one of my new quilt books today. It may have the answer on how to put this big quilt together without having to take a class on using a longarm machine and renting one to do all the quilting. :idea I'm going to go over it with Rosie and see what she thinks of the method they describe. You quilt individual sections and then put the sections together first stitching the top pieces together, then abutting the batting layers, and finally hand sewing the backings together. :think Hmmmm.... It might just work....Especially since I'm essentially putting the top together in multiple blocks that are then joined together to make the whole.....Hmmm....I definitely need a second opinion on this from someone who does quilting. :yes

Not that I need another hobby, but Ive felt the urge to try quilting. I only have my moms antique sewing machine. She said it works great, but I haven't tried it. Im afraid to break it too!! Sewing machine is on the christmas list...

Not that I need another hobby, but Ive felt the urge to try quilting. I only have my moms antique sewing machine. She said it works great, but I haven't tried it. Im afraid to break it too!! Sewing machine is on the christmas list...

Sewing machines are pretty hard to break, although they will eventually wear out if they're used enough. I've got my grandmother's antique Singer treadle sewing machine and it works. Or at least it would if I got around to buy the band for the treadle. :blush

Good afternoon, everyone. :)

And like I promised last night(i felt sick sorry) heres the $6 throw

[ATTACH]8128[/ATTACH]

It's lovely, Erin!

The PS is coming along nice and quick. I'm almost done with the second round of colors (I extended the middle star an extra round to make it bigger) and will probably be starting on the third round tonight. I work on that one while working since it's pretty mindless, except when I try to join an extra side :lol. I work on the filey piece when not working, so I'll have a couple of hours for that tonight.

You are so speedy! I remember reading that some people had to fudge a lot with the PS pattern - have you had any problems? It's been on my WIM list for a long time. :yes

I have a serious love/hate relationship with the evil empire :lol

Well, BD decided he needed to go back to work today. While he was hacking and sniffling even more than he was before :( Silly man :rolleyes I won't be one bit surprised if he comes back in that door in a couple of hours :irk

We got rain last night! :dance It's cooler this morning but it was very humid last night. As long as it made it cooler I'm happy about it :lol Plus I don't have to water the plants as much today I'd imagine :D

The toy soldier is giving me fits. I spent almost all day yesterday working on his stupid hat. It was either way too big or too small. Then it dawned on me finally....got up a hook size for the hat, idiot :rofl So I'll do that today as that little gem didn't dawn on me until I was so disgusted I went to bed at 1 am :lol

We had rain, too! :clap It rained during the night and we had a little over an inch. Can't wait to see your toy soldier. :hook

Linda ~ yes, this works! Years ago, I took a quilting class and she discussed this method of "building" your quilt. I only made one really large quilt and hand quilted the whole thing. :eek

Sewing machines are pretty hard to break, although they will eventually wear out if they're used enough. I've got my grandmother's antique Singer treadle sewing machine and it works. Or at least it would if I got around to buy the band for the treadle. :blush

I have my grandmother's treadle machine, too! It's in great condition. Of course, my mother will probably ask for it back any day now...she has never given us anything that she hasn't taken back later. :rolleyes

Dusti ~ That's great that the girls love school so much. Yay for starting another little squares pattern - the gingerbread boy is so cute. :hook

Erin ~ You've found some great bargains lately! :yay

Hi Jessica!

I've been working on the border for the Double IC today. The first row is hdc and the second row is the scallop pattern Tabby shared with us. :hook

Time to think about supper. Have a good evening. :manyheart

Linda ~ yes, this works! Years ago, I took a quilting class and she discussed this method of "building" your quilt. I only made one really large quilt and hand quilted the whole thing. :eek

I have my grandmother's treadle machine, too! It's in great condition. Of course, my mother will probably ask for it back any day now...she has never given us anything that she hasn't taken back later. :rolleyes

Oh, good, someone who's done it. Thanks, Mary.

I found a little wooden box with all sorts of accessary feet that goes with the treadle machine I have. The box opens up so that all four sides lay out flat. It's really neat. It even has the instruction booklet if I remember right.

Yep, that's one of the ways that the gals at the quilt shop told me to try so I don't have to hire out their girl that does the long arm quilting. No way I can afford the machine myself. Of course, I'd have to actually get my quilt top put together first :lol

I love my machine. It's a six year old Kenmore heavy duty machine that I got on sale. Take it from someone who's gone through a LOT of machines...buy the very best you can afford :yes It'll make your life much easier :yes

I read one of my new quilt books today. It may have the answer on how to put this big quilt together without having to take a class on using a longarm machine and renting one to do all the quilting. You quilt individual sections and then put the sections together first stitching the top pieces together, then abutting the batting layers, and finally hand sewing the backings together.

Yep, that's one of the ways that the gals at the quilt shop told me to try so I don't have to hire out their girl that does the long arm quilting. No way I can afford the machine myself. Of course, I'd have to actually get my quilt top put together first :lol

Sounds like you're talking about the quilt as you go technique. I've heard a lot about it and seen several quilts that have been completed using the technique, but have yet to try it myself. Personally I think you'd LOVE learning the long arm. :devil

You are so speedy! I remember reading that some people had to fudge a lot with the PS pattern - have you had any problems? It's been on my WIM list for a long time. :yes

Each motif is only 3 rounds, if people aren't calling I can do a motif in about 15 minutes. So not so much speed as timing :lol And I'm not having any problems having to fudge anything. Maybe I have an updated version. I know that when I'm joining one diamond to a spot that already has 2 I have to make the decision as to where to join it, and I might end up with some slightly larger gaps in areas. But it's working out ok.

Cara, I have a nice cheap $100 Walmart special I got years ago. Since my sewing pretty much is limited to sewing down edges, it's all good.

Good morning! My machine is a Brother that I got at WM several years ago. It's not the bottom machine, but is far from the top of the line. It has all the stitches I wanted and that is what mattered to me. Cost about $110 on sale. It sure gets the job done.

Not sure what all I'll be doing this long weekend. :think I have to finish hiding tails on the blocks for Erin and get them in the mail, but that's the main thing on the list. I think I'll work on the quilt some more, too. Read a book I just started for some of the time. Spend some time with Rosie. Be lazy. Relax. Eat out a time or two. That kind of thing. :)

Joy, I'd probably like the long arm, but finding the time to go to where I can rent one could be a problem. We will see. It's an hour drive each way. I'm not there yet. :D

Good morning! My machine is a Brother that I got at WM several years ago. It's not the bottom machine, but is far from the top of the line. It has all the stitches I wanted and that is what mattered to me. Cost about $110 on sale. It sure gets the job done.

Not sure what all I'll be doing this long weekend. :think I have to finish hiding tails on the blocks for Erin and get them in the mail, but that's the main thing on the list. I think I'll work on the quilt some more, too. Read a book I just started for some of the time. Spend some time with Rosie. Be lazy. Relax. Eat out a time or two. That kind of thing. :)

Joy, I'd probably like the long arm, but finding the time to go to where I can rent one could be a problem. We will see. It's an hour drive each way. I'm not there yet. :D

Blue ones? :D:D you dont have to hide tails!!!! Im excited though :clap

Today was my day to sleep in, and sleep in I did! HAH! Josh went back to bed when I got up, and is still sleeping. Im feeling the need to wake him though because its almost noon. Its been a rough morning Id say. Rough week really. So much going on, and then to top it all off, Alex is getting 4 teeth!!! He already had one, then 2 more broke out and are coming in, but then we looked and hes got another 2 almost breaking the gumline. poor kiddo... :(

I have almost all my beading sorted. My containers were an absolute mess. I had every kinda bead basically all mixed together, including those itty bitty sead beads. Im down to sorting those. I LOVE how my containers look so far, colors sorted, all my silver beads are seperate and sorted. and all my crimp beads are easy to see. Next I am thinking I will tackle the scrapbooking charms and embellishments. Ive been wanting to get the craft stuff organized since the move and before I get the room all put together.

Today Im going to...

Finished boarding pink squares, I had a few show up! I need another thing of yarn though, just ran out 3 squares shy, but I'll need it for joining and boarder anyhow.

Put the MM stuff away downstairs...as best I can

Sort some beads?? hmmm maybe

Work on the Larksfoot, ripple or dishcloths

Possibly trim tree outside

then who knows!

Cara, I have a nice cheap $100 Walmart special I got years ago. Since my sewing pretty much is limited to sewing down edges, it's all good.

:lol I think either a) y'all have had better luck with the Brother machines or (the more likely) b) you're easier on them than I am :lol:blush I pretty much got this one because that sucker will sew through 5 layers of denim without a hiccup :yes And the price was pretty good. About $325 on sale :yes

Good morning ladies :flower

I did not want to get up this morning :yawn But Tuon insisted :lol:cat

Still working on that toy soldier :yes I got his hair done yesterday which took some thinking. Oh and his belt too :yes Just needs a hat, whatever embellishing I think he might need and then I can call it done :hook

Happy Saturday, Ladies. :)

Each motif is only 3 rounds, if people aren't calling I can do a motif in about 15 minutes. So not so much speed as timing :lol And I'm not having any problems having to fudge anything. Maybe I have an updated version. I know that when I'm joining one diamond to a spot that already has 2 I have to make the decision as to where to join it, and I might end up with some slightly larger gaps in areas. But it's working out ok.

Thank you, Val! Maybe someday I'll get one made. ;)

Blue ones? :D:D you dont have to hide tails!!!! Im excited though :clap

Today was my day to sleep in, and sleep in I did! HAH! Josh went back to bed when I got up, and is still sleeping. Im feeling the need to wake him though because its almost noon. Its been a rough morning Id say. Rough week really. So much going on, and then to top it all off, Alex is getting 4 teeth!!! He already had one, then 2 more broke out and are coming in, but then we looked and hes got another 2 almost breaking the gumline. poor kiddo... :(

I have almost all my beading sorted. My containers were an absolute mess. I had every kinda bead basically all mixed together, including those itty bitty sead beads. Im down to sorting those. I LOVE how my containers look so far, colors sorted, all my silver beads are seperate and sorted. and all my crimp beads are easy to see. Next I am thinking I will tackle the scrapbooking charms and embellishments. Ive been wanting to get the craft stuff organized since the move and before I get the room all put together.

Today Im going to...

Finished boarding pink squares, I had a few show up! I need another thing of yarn though, just ran out 3 squares shy, but I'll need it for joining and boarder anyhow.

Put the MM stuff away downstairs...as best I can

Sort some beads?? hmmm maybe

Work on the Larksfoot, ripple or dishcloths

Possibly trim tree outside

then who knows!

Aww, poor little Alex. :hug And poor Mom, too...I remember losing lots of sleep when DD's teething was really bad. Good for you for getting so many things done! What is the Larksfoot pattern?

Hi Linda ~ I don't think I have extras for Grandma's sewing machine, but I will go up and look!

I just have one more side of the border to do and it will be finished. :yay

We have puppy school at 3:30. Gracie is asleep right now - storing up lots of enegy so she can get an "A" I'm sure. :lol

Poor Alex! And poor mom! I remember when DD cut her teeth in bunches. Not fun!!!

So much for trying to do two things at once. :blush I was eating a sandwich with the left hand and typing with the right. Right! I managed to flip the sandwich. It ended up on the bottom of the plate and with mustard and mayo on both sides of the plate and the front of my sweatshirt. Anyway, it's cleaned up now. Better luck next time. :blush

So far, I've spent the day reading. "The Donor" by Frank M Robinson is very good. I've read about a third of it so far. A young man discovers he's been the unknowing donor for two transplants so far. Part of his liver and a kidney..... And they want more....... Like his heart and lungs..... :eek

I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to be posting in a CAL that I don't belong to, but I have a question about one of the afghan quilts that I thought y'all could answer. I hope this is okay.

I just found the happy yellow house web site two days ago, and I'm in love. These crochet quilts are beyond awesome, and I couldn't help but try one. I decided to tackle the Make a Joyful Noise quilt (angel), and I was wondering how you choose what color to join everything in? Did you guys just choose one color and join everything, and if you did, did it show through bad to the front? Or did you join everything according to what color blocks you were working on?

I think I'm going to try ss everything if I ever get enough blocks done, but I'm just not sure how to choose the right colors. If you guys could help me, I would really appreciate it. Any other advice would be apperciated too. I think I might be biting off more than I can chew with this whole thing. I've crocheted for a long time, but I'm still not very good. I just really want to make this quilt:yes.

I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to be posting in a CAL that I don't belong to, but I have a question about one of the afghan quilts that I thought y'all could answer. I hope this is okay.

I just found the happy yellow house web site two days ago, and I'm in love. These crochet quilts are beyond awesome, and I couldn't help but try one. I decided to tackle the Make a Joyful Noise quilt (angel), and I was wondering how you choose what color to join everything in? Did you guys just choose one color and join everything, and if you did, did it show through bad to the front? Or did you join everything according to what color blocks you were working on?

I think I'm going to try ss everything if I ever get enough blocks done, but I'm just not sure how to choose the right colors. If you guys could help me, I would really appreciate it. Any other advice would be apperciated too. I think I might be biting off more than I can chew with this whole thing. I've crocheted for a long time, but I'm still not very good. I just really want to make this quilt:yes.

Wow. you DO love that design if that's your first choice to try this technique with! Most ladies began with the gingham to get their feet wet;) It's gorgeous when done, though:c9

Cara will be on later and offer more advice, but I can tell you what many of us do about the joining:

After finishing a "saltine" (our knickname for the smal squares because of their size) a lot of us (me, included) leave a long tail - enough to join at least one side of that square to another. That way you are using the matching color from the square - and also miniizing how many ends you weave in.

Two more hints: when finishing each square Cara gives the corners a tug so they're more squared off AND, weave in the ends as you get a batch of squares sewn together - or you might be like me: The first one of these I attempted I had bags and bags waiting to be joined (without long tails, since I din't know this method) and I ended up tossing most of the project:(

Good luck!

PS...theis is an ongoing CAL...and not everyone who visits is in the process of making one at the moment, so as Cara would say, pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable.

We just like cheering everyone on!:hook

Archived