Crochet Cruise to Cancun in March

andiM

I would have loved to do this! But if you haven't already got your deposit in, today is the last day.

IMPORTANT - NEED TO KNOW FACTS...

Stitchawaytours.com is a division of Vacationkids.com, Inc, specializing in knitting trips.

A $200.00 credit card deposit is required to confirm your reservation along with sign authorization forms. Final payments along with rooming assignments are due on or before Jan. 22th , 2006

I would have loved to do this! But if you haven't already got your deposit in, today is the last day.

IMPORTANT - NEED TO KNOW FACTS...

Stitchawaytours.com is a division of Vacationkids.com, Inc, specializing in knitting trips.

A $200.00 credit card deposit is required to confirm your reservation along with sign authorization forms. Final payments along with rooming assignments are due on or before Jan. 22th , 2006

I would be game for something like this too! You know we could leave from Galveston!?

Karen, I could do this except for one small thing- no time to get it together! I don't have a current passport! But, can you just see us, sipping the umbrella drinks, hooking along, swim when we feel like it, snooze, hook some more, eat, eat, drink another umbrella drink, eat, learn at the classes, eat, snooze, hook.. Then on to the afternoon! Ahh, paradise!

Karen, I could do this except for one small thing- no time to get it together! I don't have a current passport! But, can you just see us, sipping the umbrella drinks, hooking along, swim when we feel like it, snooze, hook some more, eat, eat, drink another umbrella drink, eat, learn at the classes, eat, snooze, hook.. Then on to the afternoon! Ahh, paradise!

It would be divine! I recently applied for a passport and have been on a cruise before. Maybe, we can work on this one together for next year?:)

Karen and Drew..Hmm, I guess I better dig out my passport and go see about getting it updated! Right now, anywhere with sun and warmth is sounding like a good place to be! I also had an idea about the fiber arts festival in Addison in April, but I will PM you about it!

my apologies... I must of had my mind on Cancun warm weather and thought cruise! Sorry guys!! A Crochetville Cruise would be nice....!! :clap

Oh, I agree, a Crochetville cruise would be so much fun! I'm not sure it would be possible to get an "official" one off the ground until Donna's baby is a little bit older, but it's definitely an idea to think about for the future.

You all can go on planning "unofficial" ones if you like. :)

But, if we were ever to try to organize an official one, how about answering some questions for me:

1. Would you prefer a 3, 4, or 7-day cruise?
  2. Would you prefer a Caribbean cruise or some other location (please tell where)?
  3. What is the best time of year to go?

For me personally, the best time of year would be summer when my kids are out of school. Another possibility, depending on timing, is right after Christmas before the kids go back to school. (Usually cheaper than summer, I believe.)

My mother-in-law put together an Alaskan cruise for 20 of us on a Holland America ship about 2 years ago. Because of the number of people going she got a huge discount, one free room, free drinks... We actually did not have 20 family members at first, but some of our family friends were so excited about the price we were getting that they came along too.

It would not be that hard to put together! A travel agency actually did most of the work. I do want to recommend that you be careful to watch hurricane season for some of those locations.

Stitchinpick

Linda

Oh, I agree, a Crochetville cruise would be so much fun! I'm not sure it would be possible to get an "official" one off the ground until Donna's baby is a little bit older, but it's definitely an idea to think about for the future.

You all can go on planning "unofficial" ones if you like. :)

But, if we were ever to try to organize an official one, how about answering some questions for me:

1. Would you prefer a 3, 4, or 7-day cruise?
  2. Would you prefer a Caribbean cruise or some other location (please tell where)?
  3. What is the best time of year to go?

For me personally, the best time of year would be summer when my kids are out of school. Another possibility, depending on timing, is right after Christmas before the kids go back to school. (Usually cheaper than summer, I believe.)

:manyheart That would be awesome! :yay

I would prefer either of the ones you mentioned.

Carribean for sure.

I think spring summer is great... that way everyone has a chance to go.

Another possibility, depending on timing, is right after Christmas before the kids go back to school. (Usually cheaper than summer, I believe.)

No it's not. :no The time between Christmas and New Years is probably the most expensive time. The kids are out of school, and people love to celebrate the New Year on a cruise. Wintertime is on-season since people want to get away from the cold.:wbrr

That said, I think the consensus is the summertime. Which is probably the best time, since it's off-season.

So are we really thinking of doing this? Boy - - - would I ever be in! I live in NJ and could sail out of NY or fly to FL and sail out from there. I'm out of work right now and can volunteer for the leg work. I also have a travel agent that I have used for about 15 years and is VERY trustworthy.

How do we begin? Poll for SERIOUS travelers? (not just dreamers) Poll for destination? Length of cruise? Would individuals contact the agent directly or do I/we get together a list of people and offer room categories?

Actually, I could investigate the feasability of reserving a room for us, say for instance 2:00 - 4:00 each day for classes and/or just group crocheting. I know we have lots of people who could volunteer to teach.

And how wonderful to get to meet fellow residents of the 'Ville.

Can one of the administrators guide me/us?

So are we really thinking of doing this? Boy - - - would I ever be in!

Can one of the administrators guide me/us?

Well, as far as an officially Crochetville-sponsored cruise, I can't see that there is any possibility of one happening any earlier than 2008. And that's still a VERY BIG "IF," so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up that something like this really could/would take place.

Donna and I are working on some other plans, and we haven't discussed this at all between the two of us yet. I really just wanted to see if there was even an interest in participating in something like this. Scratch that. I had a feeling people would be interested. What I really mean is would people be willing to plunk down the money it would cost for a cruise like this.

So we're still in the "dreaming" stage. Because of other plans we have for the 'Ville, it honestly wouldn't be until the end of this summer that we could even entertain the idea of beginning to look into sponsoring an event like a cruise.

But IF it were ever possible, we would probably work with a company that already has experience putting together crochet/knitting/other craft cruises. We would greatly need their guidance and expertise in planning events to make sure everyone had a great time and thought they got their money's worth from the cruise. Like what's the perfect balance between class or stitch-along time and regular cruise activities? Because I have no clue! I've never even been on a cruise myself.

I'd still like to hear everyone's ideas about their preferences IF we were ever able to offer something like this.

Thanks, Amy. Just please remember that I will volunteer to do any leg work that you need.

I have been on about 12 cruises and have traveled extensively to the Caribbean. I have also gone to Puerto Vallarta and most often to Cancun. Cancun about twice a year and because of the frequent visits have many Mexican friends!!!

I'd love to help out.

I've also been thinking about "districts" kind of like the Red Hatters do. Just random thoughts...........

• 2 weeks later...

A Crochetville cruise would be great! From my experience, it would be better attended if it's planned for 2009, so folks would have a chance to save for the cruise as well as put in for time off work, if necessary. I would love to help plan a 'strictly crochet' cruise adventure.

My travel agency is hosting the July 15-22 Bermuda cruise from Boston, featuring Prudence Mapstone (see my other post on Happenings). We still have availability both for crocheters and for their non-crafty friends/spouses/kids. Bermuda has golf, snorkling and historic sites, plus lots of great restaurants that cruisers can sample with the cruise line's Dine Ashore program. Prudence Mapstone is one of the foremost freeform crochet artists working today; she will lead workshops in freeform, and the cruise will also feature a trunk show, brainstorming sessions, show-and-tell, and a photography workshop.

More about the Bermuda Cruise

More about Prudence

Archived