Duds for Doggies and Furry Ingrates CAL

darski

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so sorry that happened. May I suggest you make dog coats for dogs who are in rescue. I know of several dachshund rescues that would love to have sweaters.

I finished the sweater I was making for my dachsie. I used the sweater pattern in the February 1997 issue of Crochet with Heart until I got to the neck and belly straps. I didn't quite understand what they wanted me to do so I created on my own. For the yarn I used Mainstay "Old Country Time". I used a large wooden button to hook the strap to the opposite side.

DSCF0001-adj.jpg

Oh my gosh-Vickie-I just read your post. I am so sorry that happend. That must feel terrible. I have a shih tzu that is my heart, and my baby, and I make sweaters for her all the time. Theres nothing sub-standard about something crocheted. In fact I think it's a heartfelt gift, and theres NOTHING better than that.

I am going to post the general directions for how I made the Brown coat so anyone can make this style.

dogduds.jpg

I used a goodly weight of WW yarn and 6.5mm hook (us 10 1/4)

I can give you general guidelines that you should be able to follow.

I begin by making the ribbing pattern where you sc into the back loop of a small chain of stitches. make this so that it will fit comfortably around your dog's neck (and head) and join it to form a neck ring/collar. do not break off

Work sc into this ribbing by doing *sc in sc, 2sc in next sc* along the edge join w/ slst

design time

pull a long loop with your working yarn and let it dangle so that it helps you to see your joining.

Fold your collar together (imagine that it is going on your dog) and put your dangling loop somewhat below the half way mark. This dangling loop should be on top

with your hook, find the corresponding stitch on the other side and slip a CC string in that stitch.

Understand that the lower portion between your long loop and the string will be the chest area. This chest area will only be worked for one more row.

The rest will cover the back of the dog so let that help you to know where to place your loop and the marker.

ok... take that long loop back to working length again

Back to work

beginning in this chest area work *2sc into next stitch,1 sc into next stitch* when you get to the CC string marker, work sc into sc across the remaining stitches. Keep your string in place, you still need it. join to first st with slst. ch1 and turn

work sc into sc around to your marker, ch 1 and turn

You now are going to be working across the back for the length you need for your dog. This is your canvas, do anything you want in this space.

as you get near the length you want (say about 3 inches away from the end),

begin to decrease one stitch on both sides to round your corners.

When it is long enough ch 1 and begin to work a sc around the edge.

On the first side, as you are working your sc edge, stop at about the half-way mark and make a chain as long as it takes to go comfortably across your dogs belly and have a bit more for buttonholes.

sc (or hdc) back along your chain, connect to the coat, work up a row on the coat then work back along your strap but work 2 buttonhole gaps near the end. ch 1 and turn.

Work back along your strap and connect to the coat.

Continue working sc edging around the coat. join and break off

That is how I do this style. I hope this is useful to some furbaby lovers out there. If you need more explanation, post a note and I will try to answer them. the trouble with knowing something is that it is hard to know what others don't get :think

If you want help to make the cable patterns across your coat, post a note here and I will explain what I can. You do need to be able to make a FPtr to make cables

Darski thank you so much for posting the pattern for the brown coat! I wish I knew how long/wide my brothers' dogs neck was so I could make him one. I can measure Gerty's neck, though, and make her another one! :hook

Tina

I know that feeling. Once these are given away, you don't know what is happening with them. I am interested in seeing your cat version though

I delivered my brown one the other day and got to see Jayda wearing it but it is too small. ..Sooo I am starting another one for her.

Also have to make one for a shi-tzu and possibly for a little dog that is a cross but I'm not sure of the name.

This could really go places :dog :cat

My ds promised to take a pic of one of my fur babies in the sweater with his camera phone. So as soon as he emails it to me I'll post it. My c-worker promised to take a pic this weekend. So hopefully I'll have both posted soon. Sorry for the delay.

It took me forever to get my son's used digital camera and then took me longer to make it work. .. just to say that I understand the challenges of getting pics up and posted. No pressure

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just had a friend ask me last night to crochet a sweater for her chihuahua so I thought I would join this CAL since i've never done one before. I love the fact that I can find what I need here and friendly people to help me through. I would love to do the t-shirt & jeans pattern. I think it is so adorable.

Hi,

I just had a friend ask me last night to crochet a sweater for her chihuahua so I thought I would join this CAL since i've never done one before. I love the fact that I can find what I need here and friendly people to help me through. I would love to do the t-shirt & jeans pattern. I think it is so adorable.

It is so funny that you posted here today as I was going to find this thread to mention that I just made a pink and pretty coat for a little one in our building. Just left the lobby where she was modeling for one and all to see.

I loved that bluejeans pattern too. Maybe i should get that back up and running again.:hook

i have been looking for patterns for a dog sweater to make for my aunt's dog. Red is a poodle..i think he is a toy but im not sure and my grandma says he is a reddish color(hence his name lol). I want to make him a couple for xmas and then a dog bed. So glad to have found this CAL.

I have 2 dogs- a 7 mo red red nosed pittbull pup and a black lab/bull mastif cross(he looks like a lab on steroids lol). I would love to make them sweaters but they would only chew them up

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived