I JUst Bought a Locker Hook Tool... Whats It for????

moomooo

Hi I have a big question....

I went to walmart on tuesday and they had on clearance for $3.00

something called Locker Hook Tool.. My curiosity is that its a crochet hook but on the top end of the hook there is a big eye needle

So my question is what on earth is this hook tool used for..

I know I will be crocheting with it and also I guess I can use it to thread my yarns thru it so this my way hook is always with my project and not have to be looking for the hook I used for that project but i think its for something else.

If any one here knows and know of any sites where they have what its used for please post here or PM me

Thanks

A Locker Hook is used in rugmaking to make Anchored Loop rugs. The hook side is to pull the fabric, yarn, what ever your rug material is, through the canvas backing and the needle side carries the thread to sew or anchor the loop into place so it can't be pulled out.

Here is a site that can explain it better

http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/anchor.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't done latch hook for about 25 years...I couldn't find the pre-cut yarn anymore...so I moved on to a new craft.

This year I got creative. Our fair has always had a catagory for pillows with a sub-catagory of latch hook...so I entered...I decided to...get this...CUT...my own yarn!!! I did a pillow about 10 by 10 square. And it was just a simple design...green, pink, and white

It paid off...I took a First Place Blue Ribbon!!!

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

I did several of those latch hook kits as a kid! :) Only thing is, I never knew what to do with them afterwards. :think I think about that every time I am tempted to get a cute one.

lol lol that is the same for me as well ,I know my sister used to use hers as floor mats.

What if you were to make shorter yarns fo th pile was not so long

Latch hook and LOCKER hook are two different things. A loop is pulled through the holes and then the strand is woven through the loops to secure it. Latch hook the ends are all out.

I'll have to look and find the site where I bought mine from.

I started a small project but didn't get too far.

Here it is: http://www.woolery.com/Pages/bookslocker.html

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a locker hook, and the mesh (mesh looks just like latch hook) and some books... I imagine that one of these days I will get around to doing some things. I love the look of the looker hooking much much better than latch hook....

Biggest difference, Locker hooking "typically" uses fabric strips with yarn as a rope behind the fabric loops, but Latch hook uses just yarn.

I latch hooked a lot as a kid... There is a tool that you can use to cut your own yarn.... looks almost exactly like the tool you use to make hairpin lace.

I could dig out the tool and take a pic if you would like.

Latch hooking is a great craft for kids. My daughter loves doing it, but doesn't like to crochet... hmm....

• 4 years later...

I LOVE locker hooking! Have made 6 rugs and several placemats. It gets kind of expensive if you have to buy the fabric, though. Old sheets , shirts etc. make it much softer than new fabric and I'm recycling too. You can even use thick or chunky yarn. If you buy fabric , it has to be the same on both sides. (can not have a "wrong" side or else you will have to fold it in half and iron it that way before you can use it , (very time consuming. )I have found broadcloth is cheap for this (about $1.99 yd) and gingham works well, too.

I too bought one to try knooking. Then I bought a rather (for me) pricey book for locker hooking and the canvas base fabric. I lost interest in the knooking and never developed any interest in the other, so I gave it all away. Unfortunately I bought the book at Hobby Lobby and it was non returnable.

Archived