Oven buddy

Kymberlina

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got one of those mitts in all silicon and really liked it for that little extra assist in removing a hot item from the oven. I think I paid close to $10 in a specialty shop.

I also had one of those small squares of silicon from a Dollar City. I crocheted a similar item, but then whipstitched the silicon into the "palm" of the crocheted mitt. It works fine, but the silicon always forces it to lie flat when not being used.

I used Caron Simply Soft.

I made it with Potholder stitch, which I got from this oven mitt pattern.

I think this is a great idea, and I love your design, but do you think Simply Soft is thick enough, would provide the right amount of protection getting hot things out of the oven? Have you tried yours out yet?

Thanks for sharing!

Kris

i don't know what stitch pattern was used, but why couldn't you use the same stitch pattern, and just make a strip, then fold up the ends, stitch together, and you'd have your 2 pockets for your hand? Or is the stitch pattern not that simple??

why couldn't you use the same stitch pattern, and just make a strip, then fold up the ends, stitch together, and you'd have your 2 pockets for your hand? Or is the stitch pattern not that simple??

I agree.. one long piece would do it...I plan on making 2 strips..one shorter to make the inside doulbe layer... the outside of each pocket should be fine with one layer- make sense? any other ideas??

Mary

I had to chuckle when I saw the picture of your project. We used to use something similar made of rubber in the lab to handle hot glassware.

Great job!

I think that the potholder stitch from that AOL website was a Priscilla Hewlitt pattern. I remember seeing some pattern crocheting a double layer piece of fabric on her website a couple of years ago. Kudos for being able to follow her patterns. She is a brilliant crocheter, but I find her patterns complicated to figure out.

I know people say to use cotton for hotpads/potholders but my grandmother made them out of acrylic (Red Heart Super Saver) for years and I never had any of them melt. I guess they could but I've never had them catch fire which to me would be when they would melt. I still make my hotpads out of acrylic because its cheaper and if you double them they work great.

I finished two of these this weekend by just makin' it up, and I LOVE THEM! I used three strands of cotton yarn and chained about 12-14. Then I HDC across, and for the next three rows did 2 HDC in each end. Then I just HDC until it reached the size I wanted and finished with a HDC decrease (sp?) on each end for three rows.

After that I used one strand of the same yarn with an extra chain to match the size, same increase in rows, total about 9 rows. Two of these~one for each end of the mitt. I SC around to join the little back flappy things (BOY I'm sure to confuse ya~LOL~NOT a pattern writer!) That's it~LOVE THEM! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

ETA a pic~but by the time I've gotten a camera they're pretty used lookin'!

post-15188-135897509053_thumb.jpg

post-15188-13589750906_thumb.jpg

Oooo, thanks for sharing it with us! Do you have a picture? :photo

Tina

I finished two of these this weekend by just makin' it up, and I LOVE THEM! I used three strands of cotton yarn and chained about 12-14. Then I HDC across, and for the next three rows did 2 HDC in each end. Then I just HDC until it reached the size I wanted and finished with a HDC decrease (sp?) on each end for three rows.

After that I used one strand of the same yarn with an extra chain to match the size, same increase in rows, total about 9 rows. Two of these~one for each end of the mitt. I SC around to join the little back flappy things (BOY I'm sure to confuse ya~LOL~NOT a pattern writer!) That's it~LOVE THEM! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

The original post linked to an AOL site which can now be found at Web Archives.

Google the Way Back Machine and enter the original URL. Now that AOL has dropped all of their web sites I have found it to be priceless.

For some reason all my links are turning into *******'s otherwise I would just post the link.

Archived