My Version of The Fat Bottom Bag

rosebud1st

I cut out 2 rings, then used upsp tape (very sticky stuff) then wrapped and wrapped more times than I can count, until it was well padded then crocheted over it. then attached as usual. I had to add a couple of rows to accomidate the thickness. I also used magnetic snaps. Thank you for the compliments. It was the first time I ever made a lining.

I would also like to add that the handle is very feminine looking. It created a nice ruffle effect and with the taping underneath this handle is as firm as any plastic bangle. It is very sturdy (which was my main concern) and will hold the weight of any contents inside the purse very nicely. I really appreciate all the wonderful comments. I wish the pic could have been a little more clear. I am on a tight budget, and just couldn't afford those expensive handles I see on all the newer purses. I had already splurged on the book so I needed to figure out a way to make the handles, yet not take away from the overall look. Sometimes "Where there's a will theres a way!" (smiling).

I am on a tight budget, and just couldn't afford those expensive handles I see on all the newer purses. I had already splurged on the book so I needed to figure out a way to make the handles, yet not take away from the overall look. Sometimes "Where there's a will theres a way!" (smiling).

Take away the "sometimes" darlin! Where there is a will there is most definately a way!! I love seeing what you have done here. It in no way cheapens what you have made, and yours may even last longer than those with the expensive purchased handles. We all know plastic gets brittle after a while. It looks fabulous!! Thank you for sharing your idea with us.

yes, the pattern is from the HH book. I added a few more rows on the flap that folds over the bangles, so use your own estimate, since we all crochet just a wee bit differently. You will have to add a few more to allow for the added thickness of the taping on the lids. If you do it correctly, it will be pretty thick. Try to make it even all around. Just have fun with it. I really loved doing this bag.

Rita

• 7 months later...

Mithragoddess...I believe I stated that this pattern is from the book Sitch N Bitch Happy Hooker Crochet by Debbie Stoller. If you read the previous posts, you will see that I added my own unique style to it. That is what makes crocheting so versatile. We can get a general idea from a pattern and make it our own. :)

I love your bag. It is so cute and stylish. I also love that you used coffee can rings to make your handles, that is very inventive and creative. :)

Archived