Chain-ghan???

lauri

Okay, this may sound ridiculous but all I can think of is a chain letter. I was wondering....is there some sort of thing where people from all different parts of the world send crocheted squares to one-another so that eventually each person will have enough to sew together to make an afghan from many people/places? I would absolutely LOVE to do this and wonder if anyone would be interested (or has it been done before and I just don't know about it?). I was thinking maybe each square could have something indicative of where it came from or something like that. I am a person who loves "character" in home-made items - - you know - quilts, afghans, etc. that tell a "story." This would be an AWESOME addition to my collection of afghans - even my 12 year old daughter is getting excited! I'd love to hear your feedback/comments!:cheer

Lauri :yes

you know...that sounds very cool. I guess the size would depend on how many people joined up. Hmmmmm..would this be more of a swap then?

Yeah, I would think so...sort of like a square exchange type of thing? You know, you have to give one to get one. What would make it really special is if some sort of marking could be on it denoting where it came from, etc. It would be really special and a wonderful keepsake/heirloom for sure!

I would love to do something like that! What if we each chose a pattern to make, and did all of our squares the same? Then at the end we could compare finished ghans and be able to identify who got whose squares. Does that make sense? Either way, I'm in!

Wow. This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not super great at making these but I have enough skill, at least I like to think so! Either way, if this hits off, I am very in. I like the idea of everyone having their own pattern. that would be one crazy afgahn but probably wonderful! :clap

i used to belong to a group that did something similar .. i'd be willing to host it... we had 2 or 3 themes to chose from.. each person sent in 2 7 inch squares to each person on the list or 1 12 inch square on the list.. like i said i know how its done and am willing to host it :)

i used to belong to a group that did something similar .. i'd be willing to host it... we had 2 or 3 themes to chose from.. each person sent in 2 7 inch squares to each person on the list or 1 12 inch square on the list.. like i said i know how its done and am willing to host it :)

Tami - host away, pleeeez! I am so looking forward to this. I'm thinking we should keep the squares on the 7" side - not too big, not too small - not to cumbersome to get done. I guess all we need now is enough people to make a decent sized afghan but maybe we can start with whom we have? Any ideas on how to "catalog" the squares? For instance, if we go through with this, I've thought about taking a pic of all the squares sent to me and making up a little booklet or "key" that would show the pic of the squares and who sent them from where, date, etc. Wouldn't this be neat? I've also thought of maybe sewing a small fabric "handmade by" tag on the back of each square with the name/address/date of whom and where it came. This would make the ghan even more special, don't you think? Anyone else have any thoughts?

This looks neat! :) It's funny that you should type this, because I was just thinking about that a few days ago! :) I would think you would need at least 49 inches long, that's 7 squares, and probably 6 squares wide (42 inches) if they're 7 inches each. That's 7 squares by 6 squares, which is 42 squares... That'd be for a good throw size. I wonder... If you had the squares 12 inches each, then you would need fewer people to make it. I'm also thinking, that if I wanted to make it with 7 inch squares, I'd need to make 42 squares too... Especially with the cost of postage, it's almost the same to mail one 12 inch square as one 7 inch square. Just a thought, especially for our international people. I love the idea of each of us using a different pattern to make all our squares so that we know which was ours when we look at the picture. Crochet pattern central has a lot of 12 inch square patterns, and there are tons of other patterns online. You could even do 4 six inch ones, and sew them together if you wanted to. Anyway, there are just a couple of my ideas... :)

Victoria

I say we do "freestyle" but decide on one color to outline each square for the purpose of it being sewn together. What do you say?

I was a 7" square swap coordinator for another group that I belonged to once.

Each member that wanted to participate had to send 2 "JIC" sqaures to me before they could begin swapping "Just in case" they dropped out so I could send their squares to whomever they didn't send to.

The thing I liked about my exchange was that each member sould request squares of a certain color scheme. I was collecting purple and soft white squares to make a afghan for my daughter. I have a bunch of squares here. I'll try to post a picture later.

I like the idea of everyone having a separate pattern because it just makes it all the more special with it's chaoticness, and I also like the idea of a common border around them since it'll help tie them in together.

However, I do also like the request of colors thing sicne you can still do your own pattern in those colors.

Ok. Really, I like almost everything every one has said!

However, I am also concerned about the price thing. I don't really mind it too much but shipping can be an awful lot at times. I suppose all those issues will be worked out in a much better solution once everything gets a bit more formalized though.

Well, I think the first step is to get a list of names together of whom would like to be a part of this wonderful project. Then we can maybe take a vote from there? I do like the idea of each person picking a color scheme but I have to say the "chaotic" version appeals to me most. This way, each person can do their favorite pattern and it will be all the more special, from their very own heart! I think if the border is the same color on all, it will all tie in anyway. But then again, it would be nice to have the color scheme thing so it looks more uniform. Oh, I just don't know! I love it all!!!!!!!! What I do know is that I'm anxious to get started and would like to get things rolling. Tami, are you still up for hosting?

Wow, this sounds like a neat idea....would you limit the list after a while?

I'm not sure I understand it completely. It sounds like you're saying we'll have a list of people. Let's say it ends up being 20 people (just a number that came to me)...so are we commited to making 20 squares and sending one square to each person?

Or, do we only have to make one or two squares? (sorry, confusion is taking over) :lol

I like the idea of settling on one border color. That will help to tie it all together nicely. Although, when you get all your squares, you could just use one color to sew them together....hmmm...

Looks like I need to start thinking about this, but I want it. I think it sounds fun. I like the idea of the fabric tags on the back, too. Would we attach our own? Ooh, details, details, please!! :clap

This does sound fun! But i'm also concerned about shipping...I really can't afford to send separate packages to the 40 some people it would take to do an afghan of 7" squares.

That's my concern too - I'd LOOOOOVE having an afghan from all these different squares made by different people - but that's a lot of shipping. OK, and I'm also confused on the two-squares thing. If we only make two squares, and only get two squares in return, I can't really make much from just two squares.

I wonder how much shipping will actually be? I could get little padded envelopes from the dollar store, so that's not bad. And if each envelope costs 2 stamps to mail, and there's 40 people, thats only about $32...that's not too bad.

Especially if I mail them on different days, like when I complete them, instead of all at once.

And it might even be less than 2 stamps if I weigh it at the post office. I'm not sure what shipping would be for anyone outside the US, though... is there anyone in this CAL that's not in the US?

..I'm editing this post now because I just looked at the link from rsisland again. They explain the swap there. You make 2 squares for each person on the list. It looks like they do end up limiting the number of people who can join, so you're not making a million squares. So, in their example, there are 34 people in the swap, you make 2 squares for each of them. That's a total of 68 squares you've made. They collectively send you 2 squares each, so you receive a total of 68 squares yourself.

So, all totaled, you'd mail out 68 squares, that's it. There was something on there that said they were about .80 cents to mail (in the US) so 68 squares X .80 = 54.40. But you don't have to do that all at once. Mail a square here, a square there. I've probably got enough change in the bottom of my purse to mail 3 or 4 squares right now! haha

This sounds good to me. :)

Ok, one more post and then I'm going to lunch. :lol

There are a TON of 7 inch squares here:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/7in_squares.php

I also looked at the link that rsisland posted, for the other swap, and I like some of the squares there. There are some pics of afghans on there that have "color schemes" to them, too. Like there's a "green & white", "red white & blue", etc. So, we could vote on a color scheme and have the whole thing be 2 or 3 colors...or stick with the "chatoic" version originally mentioned. I think I'm game for either way.

I'm sure I could find enough inspiration to keep me going. :)

Now I think I need to go whip up a granny square purse. This is making me feel crafty. :hook:lol

I think that if we get a TON of people maybe you can make two seperate groups. That way everyone can join and it won't cost that much... well as much! But if oyu think about it, $50 isn't that bad since a nice blanket like this would probably cost that much anyway and this would have a lot of sentimental value.

I think the fabric tags are a great idea. That way, years and years down the road you can look at them and go "Oh! I remember that person!"

I'm still really likeing the chaotic idea. It just seems so much better in my idea. Like it really is a little part of someone, but then, if someone really wants just certain colors, I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to make the same pattern in those colors. Besides, we can always use more yarn!! :yay

Archived