Camera Pouches

smg55039

Last Christmas, after a year of dedicated inquiry and pestering, Santa got me an Elph. Cannon SureShot Elph that is. I've entered the 21st century of photography. I'm loving it. My picture taking skills haven't improved any, but I'm saving a bundle in developing costs.

One day I pulled my Elph from my purse only to discover that the little lens covers can be pushed open fairly easily by foregin objects - objects that thrive in the tight confines of my miniturized purse. Once the lens gets scratched, the camera is dead. So what's a girl to do? Order something expensive from Cannon and wait weeks? I don't think so...

I have scrap yarn! I have crochet hook! The ExBF ditched months ago, I have a lot of spare time! I have cozy!

236474787_6646b746d2_m.jpg

I also have a friend with a sister with the same camera. Since Friend squeeled like a toddler over my cozy, I just had to make one for Sister.

Mine is on the Left. It's yellow Red Heart Terry Spun done on a G hook. Sister's is on the Right. It's "mill end" acrylic (probably Caron Soft) done on a F hook. I was worried about creating hard spots that could damage the camera so there are no closures. I was planning on velcro, but there are just some things you just can't find around here.

If I had to do it again, I would have designed in an accessory pouch so I could have an extra memory card handy when I needed it.

very handy! i love the look of the terry spun, i've never seen anything like it. you could still add a pouch if you cut a piece of fabric and blanket stitch it on. it might ruin the look of your wonderful crochet somewhat. crochet a tiny lil pouch in thread/baby yarn and attatch it with a loop through one of the other crochet stitches and it can hang off the side like those lil mobile phone charms that are so popular! lol

Many thanks. I had no idea that this was something new. With all the iPod cozies, cell phone pouches, coffee cozies, and remote wranglers, I figured someone somewhere had to have done this before. Wonder of wonders.

I never made a pattern. I made it up as I went and eyeballed the sizing. If y'all can give me some time I can at least document what I did on the yellow version. Fair warning - I never learned to crochet correctly so don't be surprised by glaring errors of poor crochet technique.

One note: I had, somewhere in the planning of this object, thought about putting a pocket on one side. Then I decided it would create that dread hard spot. Then it was a matter of how to keep a pocket closed and how that may interfere with the pouch flap, etc.. I still haven't figured that part out but I'm back to desiring pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

SMG55039

Then it was a matter of how to keep a pocket closed and how that may interfere with the pouch flap, etc.. I still haven't figured that part out but I'm back to desiring pocket.

OneCrafySham did this very nice Ipod Nano Case. The flap closure on it will be great for your camera pouches.

277640161_e844bfea53_o.jpg

A truly clever idea!!!! Since I'm hoping that santa will bring me a digital camera for Xmas, probably I could crochet one in advance. Then when asked what's that then I'll be able to drop a subtle hint for what I really want for Xmas....:devil

oh genius!! I'm going to try that too!!!!:clap

Archived