Howdy from Houston!

HoustonHeather

Hi Gang! I'm a long-time crocheter (since age 8). I live in Houston with my husband and 2 cats (no kids and none planned due to genetic/health issues).

I found out last month I have Bipolar disorder. Friday I finally see my doctor and get my prescriptions. One of the funny things about my illness is an intense interest in crochet projects, amping up my stash, pattern books, etc when I'm manic (which I am now). It also helps me TREMENDOUSLY to crochet when I'm depressed. I give away 99% of my projects. I have one afghan I made for myself and that's it.

After my husband was horribly injured in an accident about 4 years ago, I made an afghan for every, and I mean every nurse, dr, and nurse aide who took care of him. I even made one for the "meal tray lady". I got quite a reputation as "Afghan lady". Ron gave HIS afghan (2 strand sc in Red Heart's "Ocean" and coordinating colors) to his favorite nurse, and I got him a down comforter. He's blind (has been since childhood) and isn't that "into" my hobby. He recovered really well, considering he got hit and dragged 2 blocks by a pickup truck while walking to work. "They" thought he would be brain dead but God had other plans, he has made an amazing recovery. He's still blind; fairly weak on the right side due to stroke, "senior moments" due to head injury, but he runs his business and I help him, and we retired the wheelchair this year :clap so we're happy.

I still terrorize acquaintances, pregnant ladies, and the occasional medical professional with one of my trademark 2-strand N or P hook (DH got me a lovely set of handcarved wood hooks for our 10th anniversary) afghans. We work part-time so I have a lot of spare time. We use public transit so I always take my tote bag with us when we go out - I've killed many a skein of yarn waiting on my ride!

I'm currently working on a "You pick the color" boooooring "Sandy Print" afghan (Red Heart) in an even more boring "Texture stitch" (1 sc, 1 tr, repeat) that was also chosen by the recipient. I went wild and work it up on a purple aluminum "I" hook. When I'm not working on that, I'm working up a 2 strand ripple for my new doctor (you know I'm a "Hooker" :hook when I'm thrilled at all his assistants - fresh afghan recipients).

My aunt just redecorated so I'm going to make her an afghan once she gets me a skein each of the colors she wants to use. "Blue", in my experience, can mean any color but the one you picked! :lol

We have 2 cats and they're smart enough to know they should NEVER touch the yarn. Last night I was finishing up a baby afghan (aforementioned pregnant lady - used the Red Heart super bulky baby yarn in "Creamsickle" - big hit with mom), working away with my "P" hook, and I looked down in my lap. Frosty the cat was curled up, with the yarn dragging over the top of his head as I worked. Awwww.

A warm and :cheer:welcome from Newville, PA.

It sounds as if you and your DH had your hands full for a while, but I'm glad he's on the mend. Its so wonderful that you made all those afghans, I just know there were lots of smiling people in that hospital.

Oh, yeah. Not to mention the crocheting takes the edge off when I'm up OR down.

I already gave hubby a floppy disk with some "suggestions", item and 800 numbers, and sizes for Christmas presents! Being blind, it's very difficult for him to shop so I do this every year (last year was perfume and a couple of paperback books). I love my wood hooks and he's going to get me some more - Yay!

Brenda, one day I came home and my cats had gotten into the stash, this was about 10 years ago (and different cats). I had yards and yards of stash yarn strewn all over the house. It must have been some party!

I think we're fortunate we have a cat door. They can chase much more interesting things than a boring old skein of yarn.

Hey from MO! :hi I'm new here too. I have three cats, one of which is about 10 weeks old and a holy terror right now. My older male cat loves to sit next to me and be covered up with the afgan I'm working on. My 4 yo female just likes to be nearby. My 2 yo Pembroke Welsh Corgi sleeps at my feet. All my dh has to do is look for the critters and he'll find me!:cat

Sounds like you and your dh have had your plate full but your are truly making lemonade out of lemons and bringing joy to so many people. God bless you and keep you.

Deb

Wow! Thank you for all the warm welcomes!

I see my doctor tomorrow. I just have to share a conversation I had with my aunt today.

I was at Michael's, standing by the yarn. I call her up, we exchange greetings.

"Do you know any pregnant women about to deliver?"

"What?"

"I'm looking at some baby yarn (Red Heart Baby Clouds) on sale that I'd love to use to make an afghan for a baby, but I don't want to make it unless I can find a recipient."

"Oh, I have a good freind..."

:lol That's when you know you are hooked!

Thanks again for the welcome! I got about 20 rows of ripple left on my doctor's afghan so I gotta run!

:welcomeWelcome, I'm up here in Cowtown!(Fort Worth).:lol I am a nurse & I know how much your work was appreciated by the ones lucky enough to recieve one of your gifts. Glad you are here!

Archived