Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree about the pullover. I've always made mine so that there is an opening that buttons. If you go to page one of this CAL, there is a directory that links you to photos of finished BICOs. Two of mine are pullovers. Maybe that will help put you in the right direction.

Crochet Mum - your BICOs are cute - and so is the baby!

I was looking through the photos of the finished BICOs and noticed a lot of them were paired with adorable hats. Can anyone share links to some of those hat patterns? I saw one that looked like a child sized bucket hat (the ladybug BICO), that I'm especially interested in. But it also looked like several people were using the same pattern for a beanie like hat, and one with a brim (or at least a contrasting edging). TIA!

this is from an early page... the link is to lion brand so beware

The hat pattern I used for the purple set was this hat that I'd made before. I just substituted the Homespun yarn and then just started with round 2 of the crown to eliminate the top knot.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cvs-babyHat.html

Well I decided to just do a regular BICO for the six months.... Thanks everyone for your advice though. :) I just have to sew it up and edge it and make a matching hat... :hook

Crochet Mum, your BICOs and afghans and everything are all so nice! And your little guy is adorable. :c9

Photojenic- Here is a whole page of baby hats. There is also Childrens' Hats there, too... Oooo! Here's a Baby Derby Hat! It's not exactly a bucket hat, but it's close enough, isn't it? I like it. I've been looking for something kind of like that, too. And here's a Brimmed Baby Hat (?) Hope those will help. :hook

Tina

Ok, I am about rready to actually start one of these. I have a question about yarn though..... do you think that red heart plush yarn is bulky enough to do it one stranded?? I have like a skein and half of it left from a top I made my daughter last year, and I think it's a great color for one of these, and it's so warm and soft. Just not sure if it's quite as bulky as homespun.... ne input appreciated :hook

Jadyn05,

Several people have made these with just worsted weight yarn. Did you do a gauge check? I'm not sure what Red Heart Plush is, so :think ... It might work.

Tina

Jadyn05, I've used plush before and I don't consider it to be near as bulky as homespun. I'd try it two stranded. Like Tina said, try a swatch!:D

Well, I did this with Red Heart Plush, and I have the guage right one stranded, it isn't finished, but I started it at 4a.m, got to row 9 and realized that I was doing it in DC instead of hdc, so frogged it and started over. Anyway, At 5:45 I had just finished row 24, and I want to see if this looks right to everyone else. My dig cam stinks, so the color quality isn't the best, it's Cinnamon colored. I think I'm going to do the contrast on the edges in either aran or soft white, haven't decided yet, but let me know if this looks normal.

th_Bicoto24.jpg

This is the 6-month size, not sure yet who this is going to, but I really really wanted to make one. I'm hoping to finish it later today, but for now, I need to start cleaning a bit to stay awake, I'm thinking of doing the big breakfast thing for the kiddos .

Hi, everyone...I just found you guys...

This definitely looks like something "doable", considering the other CAL's I'm in (:waving Darski).:yay

See you around!

Yes, Jadyn, that looks normal! :cheer Great Job! You just keep crocheting all the way down to the chain part sticking out. (That is going to be the front placket of the sweater.)

You're doing great! :hook

Tina

:lol Ain't that the truth, Darski! I just finished my sixth one a couple days ago. :hook

Judi, this pattern is better than Lays Potato Chips, no one can make just one :wlol

welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome, Darski! It'll be nice having a project small enough where I can see the end of it in days instead of weeks!!:lol

I also have a couple of places in mind where I can donate them, too...:c9

:thair Ok, I had to do the mom thing, and clean and feed the kids, start the laundry, ya know, the whole morning 9-yards....and now i CAN"T FIND MY K HOOK!!!!!! So I can't do my BICO till I find it *sobs* better start calling out the borrowers again, maybe they'll give it back like they did my tapestry needle the other day, if I ask nicely. Also, my tapestry needle is missing AGAIN!!!

woot, got my k hook back, off to work on my bico again, and woot got 10 yo-yo's done while I was waiting to start looking again :cheer

oh my darski, i'm gonna wet myself, in order to make the doohickey, I need my K hook, :rofl thanks for the link , i love her patterns, never seen this one though, I'm gonna make it after I finish the BICO. Thanks a bunch :hug

Um, wow:) . Thanks to KnicKnac for contacting me to point out the CAL. I'm pretty sure I remember someone mentioning the CAL previously but the last few months have been a foggy haze of constant deadlines, power outages, and snow storms.

Nice work, everyone! I love all the little (and big!) changes and details. I remember a few people emailing me regarding upsizing the pattern. It looks like everyone has done really well adapting the pattern to individual needs.

I will review the 77 (!!) pages of posts for any comments or questions on the technical aspects of the pattern as written. Keep in mind this was one of my first patterns ever written and I have no doubt it needs some editing.

Lays Potato Chips, HA!

Ok, here's mine in a newborn size! The sleeves came out a bit long, so they're rolled up, but I love it! I'll be making a hat and booties to match after I get done with a birthday gift for my niece. Thanks again for all of your help, ladies!

BICO.jpg

Everybodies look so cute. I need to get working on another one for my sister in law who is due in May and another one who's was born in Dec. I've gotten tied up on my Trip around the world quilt lol.

Um, wow:) . Thanks to KnicKnac for contacting me to point out the CAL. I'm pretty sure I remember someone mentioning the CAL previously but the last few months have been a foggy haze of constant deadlines, power outages, and snow storms.

Nice work, everyone! I love all the little (and big!) changes and details. I remember a few people emailing me regarding upsizing the pattern. It looks like everyone has done really well adapting the pattern to individual needs.

I will review the 77 (!!) pages of posts for any comments or questions on the technical aspects of the pattern as written. Keep in mind this was one of my first patterns ever written and I have no doubt it needs some editing.

Lays Potato Chips, HA!

:hi :hi :hi

Look who it is! WOW! Thanks for stopping by! We have had SO much fun with this sweater, thanks so much for making it that way in the first place! I hope when you go over the different looks that you are pleased with the results.

Totally COOL!

:hi :hi :hi

Look who it is! WOW! Thanks for stopping by! We have had SO much fun with this sweater, thanks so much for making it that way in the first place! I hope when you go over the different looks that you are pleased with the results.

Totally COOL!

Julie - Ditto what KnicKnac said! Thanks for checking out what we've all done to your pattern. The collective "we" here have tweaked it from finger weight newborn sizes to kids sizes to adults, even a few pullovers, I too hope your happy with the versions we've created!

My 4.5yo dd wore her BICO as a jacket all fall. SHe was mad when I made her put on her winter coat instead!

I figured you had heard about this CAL when it was mentioned somewhere at CrochetMe. I'm dying to see the book coming out of crochet me, and Robyn's other book as well. It sounds like 2007 is going to me a great year for a bunch of the designers I favor. And now that Josi's book has turned website, I've been regularly checking out Art of Crochet to see what you guys have accomplished there!

Good Luck with all the deadlines!

Well I stopped making BICOs for a while; but now... I'm baaaaack! :lol Mwaaaahaaaahaaaa.... This one I did in Homespun and Simply Soft for the trim. It's going to a baby on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. I tried to make some mittens but I can tell they are waaaay too small. Grrr... Maybe I'll just buy some later.

th_Picture.jpg

(Clickable.)

Oh yeah, and it doesn't have any buttons on it yet, either. I have to go buy some.

Tina

Archived