Baby, It's Cold Outside CAL - Larger Sizes TOO!!!

KnicKnac

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused, were you able to see the picture? or not? it shows up on my screen, I can always upload it on Photobucket though if I need to. It's also on my Blog as well.

I appreciate all the comments, it feels good knowing I did a good job. I'll be sure to join some more CALs.

Have a Great Day

Okay Tiga where are you? What do you call one for a stepdad? :P A 'Stico?' A 'Step-ico?' :lol (Maybe I should leave the name-inventing to Tiga, huh? :blush

Dawn, I can't wait to see it when it's finished! :yes

Mrs. Pink, I love yours- the bright yellow bands really make it! :hook

Tina

Um, how about a Stedico? Stepdad, It's Cold Outside :lol

Or, if you call your dad, stepdad or whoever "Pop" or "Pop-pop" or "Papa", you could have a Pico :hook!

I FORGOT to take a picture of the newborn one I made for Ellie's OT - duh :blush. But, she loved it. However, her baby is probably going to be over 9 pounds. Hopefully, it will fit!!!!

I'm going to start on a pink and red one for my 4 year old now. Two strands of Caron simply soft, one in watermelon and one in rubine red. I may do stripes of solid watermelon, solid red then the two together. Depending on how ambitious I'm feeling.

Okay, I officially need help; I've re-read the pattern, and I'm still confused:

Row 1: With front of sweater facing you, begin at the outside edge. Insert hook into first st and Ch 2. Hdc in next 21(23) sts. – 22(24) Hdc.

What does it mean by "front of sweater facing you"? Do I hold it all laid out, and put the front nearest my body? Or do I pretend it's all sewn together and have the front facing me?

Or, does she mean the "right side"?

B/C if I do it like the picture, I then get confused by what, exactly, the "outside edge" is.

If someone could explain, possibly with pictures, I'd be sooo appreciative. I've done two, and gotten the buttonholes on the wrong side both times, too, so I think I'm holding the BICO incorrectly at some point and getting the sides mixed up.

Darski, I'm almost finished. Just a few more rows for the front then I can sew it together and do the trim. I was thinking of using two strands of aran for the contrast trim. Hopeing to get it finished soon.

Pat A.

scroll down this page

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36185&page=26

to find a diagram that shows it for you.

Thanks, Darski!

That's where I've been starting, so at least I got THAT part right.

Gotta try the edging/buttonholes again, now.

Can't wait to see yours Pat!!!

Tiga! Those are the colors I did of the one that got this whole thing going crazy!!! Lookie here:

http://knicknac.com/?p=229

Those two colors together are GORGEOUS!

Ha ha ha! :cheer Great minds think alike!

What may be helpful to you is to tie a brightly coloured thread on your RIGHT side so that you don't get confused when it comes time to do the buttons and stuff. Put it on that (wearer's) right front flap to keep it in your mind later.

The place in the making where I drew the sketch would make a good place/time to mark the right side.

I think I will do that - it's so hard to tell the right side from the back side, especially with that wonky little left arm thing where the rows switch.

Okay, can I ask you a question about sizing?

Using the sizing charts (wee one is asleep), I came up with the following measurements for a size 4:

Across the back, from shoulder to shoulder, body measurement would be 9 3/4", so finished size for rows 1 - 10 should be 11 3/4" across.

Length, from neck to back waist, body measurement is 9 1/2", so to get a hip length BICO, finished length for rows 1 - 10 should be 11 1/2".

Sleeve length, from wrist to underarm, body measurement would be 10 1/2". Finished length of rows 11-22 will be 12 1/2", to allow for cuffs. This is JUST the sleeve length, measure from the edge of the previous section made, NOT the neckhole.

Arm circumfrence is 8", body measurement. Finished width of rows 11-22 will be 10".

Neck size is 3 1/2" - should I add ease here? I'm not sure. I think I would need to, so it wouldn't be strangly tight. If so, finished neck size will be 5 1/2".

Center back, center neck to cuff, body size is 19 1/2". Finished center back, center neck to cuff will be 21 1/2". From edge of neckhole to cuff will be (Finished center back length) - (Neckhole length/2). In this case, from edge of neckhole to cuff will be 18 3/4". When I start the neckhole, I will measure in from the sleeve cuff 18 3/4" and start my slip stitches there. I will slip stitch across until a width of 5 1/2".

I will start the neckhole, widthwise, in the center of the sleeves, correct? So, in this case, I will guess that the neckhole should be 2" wide? Is that enough? If so, I'll start the neckhole 4" from the bottom of the sleeves, and end it 4" from the top of the sleeves.

The right placket, finished measurement will be 8 1/2" wide; the left placket, finished measurement, will be 3 1/4" wide, for a total front finished measurement of 11 3/4", to match the back. The edging will make them a little larger, but as they overlap, that won't be a problem, right?

Okay, I think that's it. Took me about an hour and a half to figure all of that out, using the following charts:

Fiber Gypsy's Measurement Chart

Yarn Standards.com

And Darski's previous advice to add some ease into the garment.

The part I'm most confused with is the neckline - there were no measurements given for anything like neck circumfrence!

It looks like you have done your homework and it should work.

You can always play with the neck area if you need to so just go with what seems right.

Do keep notes and share with us later.

Can't wait

Here is another one my friend made. Sorry about the picture, we were trying to show off the hat she made to go with it and just couldn't do it! But doesn't this one look like it is from the GAP???

:lol

th_bico-em-4.jpg

I LOVE those colors KnicKnac! Your "friend" needs to join Crochetville, :lol. It does look like it's something you'd find in GAP!

I'm sooooooo almost finished! I only have the trim around the sleeves and sew on the buttons and I'm done! Can hopefully get that done this morning! Will post a pic later on!

Oh and FYI...last night as I was crocheting Shane's, my 2 yr old Noah says, "mommy can I watch", I said "well of course you can sweetie" and then he says "mommy is this MY sweater", I say "no honey this one is for Shane" and he says "are you gonna make one for me too?" HAHAHAHA! When I was putting him to bed, he requested blue and green for his colors, :lol.

I know, I know, she keeps telling me she will but she never does! I think she is a member here she just never posts! :lol Thats ok cause I talk enough for the both of us! :lol

I can't wait to see your finished BIDO Jeanie! And you just BETTER make one for Noah in his colors!!!

Ok girls! Here is mine! It fits PERFECT! I posted a thank you to KnicKnac and all you wonderful girls on C'ville on my blog. I love you girls! Thanks for making my first wearable sooooo much fun!

308642818_533c24fa52_t.jpg

308642819_5ce9782dea_t.jpg

Oh and I used Bernat DenimStyles in "Indigo" for the MC and Bernat Softee Chunky in "Grey Heather" for the CC. Only used one strand and followed the 12 mth instructions! Shane is about 8 1/2 months!

a%3E

Jeanie~ your sweater turned out great; and Shane is so cute. :c9

KnicKnac's friend~ that sweater turned out great too. (Don't know about the Gap since I haven't been there in so long...)

Tina

Tiga - your measurements are not internally consistent. You say you're going to use a width of 11 3/4" , a sleeve width of 12.5". This would give you a total cuff to cuff width of 36 3/4". But then you say your center neck to cuff is 21.5" which is a total cuff to cuff width of 43".

See what I mean? Yarn standard's measurements aren't consistent either. But since this is a boxy pattern. Your body width plus two sleeve lengths should add up to your cuff-to cuff width.

The 11 3/4" width sounds a little small to me for a size 4. Looking at yarn standards chest measurement divided by 2 you would have 11.5" as a body measurement (without ease).

SO here's my suggestion...If you brought your initial width up to 13.5 or 14", and then used sleeve lengths of 12.5", then your total cuff to cuff width would be 38.5-39". Then I would do a neck opening of about 1/3 of the width or 4.5". So you would crochet for 17", slip stitch for 4.5" and crochet for 17" at the neck opening.

Your body length makes sense to me. It's an inch shorter than my dd's - which goes below her hips almost to her bottom. Your sleeve width may be a tad big. My dd's sweater (big enough to wear OVER a bulky sweater) has 10" circumference sleeves. She is 4.5, 40lbs, 43" tall. I think your neck width of 2 inches is right on target!

Your front panels, as designed, should add up to more than the width. Again you can change this as you wish -but as designed the left panel is about 1/2 the width and the right panel is about 2/3 the width.

I hope this helps more than hurts!!

Archived