First time with thread?

Melibean223

Make book marks. That's how I got used to thread.

Now I am addicted to doilies :)

If you go back a bit in the thread forum there was another thread with more tips for those new to thread.

Try this thread: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33867

And you can look at the posts in the thread section, which is what I did to look for ideas for you. Thread is just smaller crochet. I love working with it! Bookmarks are quick. Anything with thread is going to be a detailed pattern, be sure you count. Use stitch markers if you need them. And block.

Also, look at CPC for patterns. Hope this helps you!

Hi Melibean

I'd suggest snowflakes! :flake

Most patterns are fairly simple and can be made in under an hour, but they look so good when finished that everyone will think you're an expert :lol Plus they're small and portable and can be used in so many different ways: as tree and window ornaments, to prettify a wrapped gift, to make a mobile, as coasters/accents for a holiday table, sewn on to encircle the shoulders of a plain winter sweater, slipped inside a mailed card as a little extra. . .

Hooked on snowflakes? Me? :rofl

Smiles,

You didn't say if you were a beginning crocheter or more advanced. If you need something really! easy, I've found thread scarves fun and easy. I just do double strands of size 10 thread and make a scarf of double crochet or of double crochet rows alternating with half double crochet rows. I like them long and they usually take 2 balls of thread. If you don't want to spend much money, the DMC Traditions is inexpensive. If you want luxury, the DMC Cebelia is lovely to work with. Otherwise, anything goes.

I agree that bookmarks are a nice beginning project, too. They can be really simple, as well: just Double crochet, or half double, or single, or alternating rows of double and half double.

If you've got good crochet skills already, then coasters, snowflakes, place mats, table runners, etc. are an easy go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

why not try this link?

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/

or this:

http://crochet.about.com/library/blfreepatts1.htm

Both are excellent, for beginners and more advanced crocheters. Look for doilies, bookmarks etc. as others have suggested above! Hope you will find this tip useful and love fine thread as much as I do!

• 2 weeks later...

Where can you find snowflake patterns? With Christmas coming up, this seems like such a good idea for gift-giving. I just finished my first thread crochet project, and I'm just itching to start another one. Thanks!

Hi Melibean

I'd suggest snowflakes! :flake

Most patterns are fairly simple and can be made in under an hour, but they look so good when finished that everyone will think you're an expert :lol Plus they're small and portable and can be used in so many different ways: as tree and window ornaments, to prettify a wrapped gift, to make a mobile, as coasters/accents for a holiday table, sewn on to encircle the shoulders of a plain winter sweater, slipped inside a mailed card as a little extra. . .

Hooked on snowflakes? Me? :rofl

Smiles,

even try something you know, like a granny. just to get accustomed to the steel hook and the smaller thread. you wouldnt need to keep it, just frog it. but it's often easier to start with something you can do without worrying about following a pattern. patterns can be confusing which makes thread seem hard etc

i was wondering the same thing. i'm an advanced yarn crocheter and am getting bored with yarn (although i love it) i want a challenge and am toying with the notion of going back to knitting.

i saw some beautiful thread at the craft store last night and i'd love to learn how to manipulate it as lace making has always enchanted me.

should i start with a larger gauge thread hook and thread and go from there? i agree that starting small will help me learn, but i so concerned about my already craptacular knuckles becoming even more messed up from switching to thread (i have issues using a D-hook currently)

Archived