want to know about thread and beads???

angel1

Hi guys,

I went to some sites that ya'll have mentioned but I don't want to do animals and critters with beads, and no rope either. I am interested in crocheting the thin yarn (thread?) with beads for a look of elegance. Maybe using with doilies and dresser and table runners? How do you get the beads in the crocheting? do you put them on as you go or do you string an abundance of them on the thread in the very beginning and then when you need one in a certain spot just bring it to you and crochet it in? Sorry to sound so dumb about this but I have never worked with beads before. I've been crocheting since I was 8 yrs old (I'm now 42 and a grandma) so I've been crocheting for a while now...but never with beads. I'd like to learn how. Many Thanks....Beverly

Well, don't know whether this will help or not, but I have always put the beads on the thread frist. Of cours, I have only worked with beads on doll dresses and such.

If you are working with seed beads, that is the best way. Now if you are working with larger beads, you might want to try the method in this months Crochet Today magazine. It is using 2 hooks on for the yarn and one to add the bead to the yarn or thread.

In fact, if you look at the thread labled "Is this a new way to add beads?" you might be able to understand. Or you could go to the Crochet Today website and see it there.

This is a method I am going to try when I use larger than seed beads.:hook

• 2 weeks later...

I recently completed a beautiful lariat designed by Lily Chin. The pattern is in the following book:

Knit and Crochet with Beads by Lily M. Chin

ISBN 1-931499-44-6, Softbound, 150pgs, $21.95, Interweave Press, Inc.

It required 1450 bugle beads strung on pure silk thread. I absolutely love it. I pre-strung the beads...it really isn't all that time consuming and it's rather theraputic, LOL. The results were worth it.

Chantal

When I first started working with beads I added as I went. Was never happy with how they lay, so switched to stringing them before hand. I would hate to think of how many beads I have strung in my time. Lots and lots. I use them for my beaded purses. crocheted ropes, beaded ornaments, accents on doilies, collars, chokers, whatever strikes my fancy. I love beads and crochet. Have fun with whatever you decided.

I did a beaded shawl pattern (nov 97 issue of crochet fantasy I think), it took DMC Cebelia #10 (I chose black) and 2040 some beads.

Oooh! Do you have a picture? I was considering something like that for my sister for Christmas. Could I find the pattern online, do you think?

• 2 months later...
I have been using thread and beads for years.

Check out my Crochet with Bead bags.

www.hurricane-designs.com

I have bead crochet bags and bead crochet jewelry. I teach around the MD, DC and VA area. If you need help.

Thanks

Carol:yay

I like your beaded bag patterns. I've sent the link to my daughter who's getting married next summer because I'll be making beaded bags for the bridal party.

BTW, I found the link to "Things of the Earth" to be somewhat strange. I was expecting an online store, but it seemed to be a site full of links to other links. And clicking anything brought up those wierd "You are the millionth clicker!"

Archived