Could anyone host a beginner....

craftygirl2

I just joined a sock group and so far I havnt figured it out either however I do have the needles and I bought dowels to make my own needles and I have the pattern so maybe one day I can attempt it when I have all my other chores accomplished (WIP) LOL

I will have to look for the pattern I used a few months ago to make my hubby some crochet socks they were too easy.

crochet7002.jpg

DCP_0002.jpg

I think this is the patern I used for my first pair.

http://www.crochetme.com/issue_1/socks_in_shoes.html

And this one looked pretty easy too

http://www.graftonfibers.com/socks.htm

Ok first you need to decide what pattern you want to try. I have done the one at crochetme so I would be able to help with that one...I am not very good at explaining things so let me know what parts you need help with....I am on msn messenger send me a message if you want to add me it might be a bit easier to help

I found the best way to do any pattern, including socks, is to jump in there and try it. Look on the internet and find some patterns and get some yarn (since I would call it practice, I wouldn't use real expensive yarns but some stash busting yarn) and your hook and just try the patterns and keep at them until you find one you like and that works well.

I'd like to join everyone. I want to make a toe up sock pattern like suggested here on the 'ville.

It's similar to the grafton fibers toe up pattern but it uses what's called a short rowed heel rather than afterthought heel in the grafton fibers sock. I find that the afterthought heel makes this tight odd feeling around the ankle because the chain doesn't offer any give.

I have made a two pairs of socks so I can help with questions. I ditto the jump right on in. I had no clue what I was doing but figured it out as I went along.

I won't start on this until after the Secret Pal swap is done in the middle of October. I have many motifs and ends to weave in for her reveal gift. (So Secret pal if you are reading this there's a hint :) ) And other goodies I want to gather and make :hook

I love socks and want more to wear this winter. My kids want some too.

Hi guys! I'd be happy to join in and try to help you out. I've made about 5 or 6 pairs of socks and am currently working on tennis socks from Crocheted Socks , the book by Janet Rehfeldt and Mary Jane Wood. My favorite heels are short row heels, followed by heel turns with gussets.

Maybe its just me since I have never made a pair of socks before I got lost somewhere in between the heel and the ankle.

Andrea - in the grafton fiber pattern you skip the heel and go back and crochet it in later. Some people love this type of pattern (it happens to be my least favorite) because they can replace worn out heels easily.

Where exactly are you stuck? Have you made the heel opening?

Maybe its just me since I have never made a pair of socks before I got lost somewhere in between the heel and the ankle.

If you are still doing the grafton fibers toe up pattern take a look at the pictures here. You should be able to see the sock I did using this pattern and the progress I made.

Basically after you have reached to the point that the sock is near your ankle you want to count the number of stitches so lets say you have 50 stitches now you want to chain 25 then skip 25 stitches then slip stitch in to the nxt stitch. I found for my ankle I needed a bit longer chain than 1/2 the number of stitches. So when I was at this point I tried on my sock if it felt too tight I added a few more chains.

Then continue to crochet around up the ankle until you want to stop to make a cuff. I like to use a simple post stitch for a cuff look.

Then when the cuff is done you are ready to start on the heel.

I am sorry Ginny i was talking about the link on page 2 that someone suggested to use instead of the grafton I read thru the other one and it didnt make to much sense to me and being a beginner I guess I'm just a little slow at the moment.

Sam,

Thank you for allowing me to look at your pics they helped alot I hope lol we shall see in about an hour as that is when I can finally relax and start on these.

Do I continue to crochet around the top so it comes above the ankle?

Yes, that is exactly what you want to do. Just stop when it's just about the height you want because you will be adding some kind of cuff pattern right?

Don't worry if you didn't do this for your first pair of socks. I didn't either. I learned with my second pair to make them at the same time that way you end up with a pair of socks crocheted the same. This can be especially important if you are using a multi-colored yarn and you want to match the color patterning for both socks. It also helps with making things the same size.

Archived