Crocheting with PONY BEADS ?????

craftygirl2

i *think* the reason people choose pony beads is they're big enough to slip your hook through to pull up a loop. saves all that pre-threading! I know that the seniors here use them on milk jug covers and just add them into the edging by simply picking one up in the same place all the way around the final round. i've never used them myself though

Greetings!

I make hair "scrunchies" with Lily Brand "Sugar n Cream" (cotton) and plastic pony beads (I use an "H" hook) - very easy. Just remember to "load" your beads on the yarn BEFORE you begin your project. I'll take pics and send them in when I start making them again.

Yes, I know this isn't very descriptive, but I'll send in photos and more instructions if you're interested.

Happy Crocheting!

I've done some kids hats using pony beads. I try to do the beads only on the fringe (pom poms) or on a fold up rim so that it won't be uncomfortable. It looks really cute with the added color! I do prestring the beads - I think it's much easier that way and then pull them up into the stitch as I work.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this question was answered, but I used to teach bead crochet and you would just prestring the beads on the yarn and single crochet around them by pushing a bead up to the hook and make your single crochet....

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to do a project accesorizing with Beads. A woman I work with told me to prestring the beads and then roll the yarn into a ball.

I was thinking of making a simple triangle shawl with beads on the edge. I'd only need a bead upon occasion. Would I just estimate how many beads I need and then maybe add a few extra just in case...and I guess just pull them up into the work as needed?

Maybe I should start with a scarf and use the beads on the edge.:think

Does anyone have a pic or a link so that I can see an example of a pony bead worked into a project to ust kick it up a notch?:D

I love to crochet with beads :hook . Here are two of my previous projects.....

th_crochetbeadedbackpack_001.jpg (clickable)

th_IM000130.jpg

One is a bag with a predetermined number of beads added, the other is a backpack where I guess-timated how many beads I would use and then added a bunch more just in case.

I've lso added them to scrunchies and other projects.

Good luck with your pony bead projects :cheer

Thanks! Beautiful work!

I actually sat down last night and despite not having a response yet at the time...figured...let me give it a shot. So I made a hat. I worked a few beads into the rim of the hat. It turned out beautiful. I think I'm not only fascinated by making hats, but also in-love with Beads. Its so simple to do and adds a VERY nice touch to a simple piece of work.

Thank you!

Thanks!! I can't wait to see your hat once it is done, I'm sure it will be beautiful :yay . I just love beads and crocheting....so why not put them together :yes . Pony beads are great to work with and come in so many different colors and sizes.

Pony beads are nice on yarn. They slilp on easily and then you can crochet with them. sc is easiest for me. Before the last stitch, I bring up a bead and finish the stitch. I just string them on and then as I'm working I'll pull up some yarn, push down the beads so there's yarn to crochet with, and crochet. When I need a bead, I pull it up.

Shelly, you're right. Just sit down and give it a try! I'm sure your hat is beautiful!

Debbi

Yes...I'm out of control i'll try to get you some pics this weekend. I did the hat and I'm halfway through a bag!!!! I've already got another bag in mind. I've decided I like it so much I'm going to make a few beaded bags for my sisters, MIL, Mother and nieces for christmas and stuff them with well...STUFF! I'm so glad I found this concept.

Thanks for all your help!:clap

• 4 weeks later...

So I took a few pics this am...mind you...they are still technically WIPS. I have ends to weave on the hat, and a strap to attach on the bag...LOL...the fun part is over...thats when they become WIPS.

I started making scrunchies yesterday while I was working on my BIG BULKIE BIKKIE...I needed a break....So the scrunchies were a quick distraction and I decided they were simple enough...too bad I have 5 nephews and 2 nieces.

1780.jpg

1781.jpg

Archived