Fan Bookmark CAL (need help too Lol~)

Marlena

Ok I am working on a bookmark made of fans it's very pretty

http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2006/05/fan-bookmark.html

There is the link. I don't know if the directions were written poorly or if I'm just not reading them right but I can't seem to follow them and have it still look like the picture. After row 1 I'm confused, it says to turn (which turns away from the 1sc 2ch from the first row) and for row two says to work INTO the first sc from row 1. But if I'm turning how would I work into what I just turned away from?

AAAH Someone please make this bookmark with me and tell me I'm not crazy!? LOL!!!

The author of that pattern is here on Crochetville, her name here is cupcake. If you have any questions I'm sure she'd be more than glad to help!

Also, are you reading the Australian or American instructions?

I've made several of these lately. They are fun and fast to make!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/Crochet%20Projects/fanbookmarks.jpg

I haven't been able to keep any for myself. As soon as someone sees me making one, they ask if they can have it. I like the variegaed threads better.

After row 1 I'm confused, it says to turn (which turns away from the 1sc 2ch from the first row) and for row two says to work INTO the first sc from row 1. But if I'm turning how would I work into what I just turned away from?

AAAH Someone please make this bookmark with me and tell me I'm not crazy!? LOL!!!

Heh,you're not crazy, Marlena! It's just a typo. It should read "the first DC from Row 1". I checked it against the UK/Australian version.

Smiles,

Butterfly I believe the pattern is correct it just is missing some commas which, for me, made it a little harder to understand. But it's also my first time crocheting a bookmark so that probably doesn't help! Lol

I'm gonna make some, are you? :cheer

I've made several of these lately. They are fun and fast to make!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/Crochet%20Projects/fanbookmarks.jpg

I haven't been able to keep any for myself. As soon as someone sees me making one, they ask if they can have it. I like the variegaed threads better.

Those are beautiful!!! I really love the colors you used for yarn. 5 stars to the designer of this pattern, it is so pretty! :clap

What brand of thread do you buy? I bought some variegaed but it was just to practice with, DMC's Senso size 3 i think.

I am really liking this pattern. I can't use thread but I'm thinking it would make a great MAM afghan.

Can't join your CAL but thanks for pointing this out to me again. I was going to try it but didn't get around to it til you asked your question. Funny thing is I didn't even see the mistake. Just did what I expected it to say. That could explain wy I often get in trouble in other patterns eh?

Well crikey gee!

Heaps of peops have made this and you are the first to spot the error.

I guess it was written poorly! The challenge for me was that this pattern had been in my head for a few decades, I then wrote it up for the ville in Australian/British terms (my native tongue) and then converted into American terms. Believe it or not this pattern has also been tested.

I have fixed the mistake so that it now reads correctly.

Sorry about that!

Make sure you post up your finished book mark as they are really pretty. :manyheart

Ok I am working on a bookmark made of fans it's very pretty

http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2006/05/fan-bookmark.html

There is the link. I don't know if the directions were written poorly or if I'm just not reading them right but I can't seem to follow them and have it still look like the picture. After row 1 I'm confused, it says to turn (which turns away from the 1sc 2ch from the first row) and for row two says to work INTO the first sc from row 1. But if I'm turning how would I work into what I just turned away from?

I want to make this bookmark too! Today at the market I found some variegated cotton no. 8 thread. It's dusty rose, tan and some other colours in there too. So I just printed out the instructions and I'll be starting soon. How are your bookmarks coming along?

well yesterday i started on my bookmark and I've already got 5 fans done! this pattern works up so fast!

i'm wondering if everyone who has done this has starched it?? I think i'd like to try, but i've never starched anything before :think

They're so beautiful!! Thanks for posting them. I'm going to attempt one too. I have a secret sister in my MOPS program that we're supposed to give little pick-me-up's and this would be great - who doesn't need a really pretty bookmark? :) Now I need some new yarn...lololol

I don't have the crochet thread on hand but I decided to try it out with my old cross stitch embroidery thread, just to see if I could do the pattern since I'm a beginner. Well apparently I can't.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong? I think the first fan is fine but I somehow have the placement of the second one wrong. Row by row pictures would be great! LOL And are we starting with the top fan or the bottom one?fan.JPG

Thanks!

Laurie

The chain that you created to start your second ( you are building up) fan is going the wrong way. In the picture you took it left and down, it needs to go right and up and be joined there.

OK, I can see that. But the directions say (for the end of the first fan)

Into the next (11th space) work 1sc, then 5ch, skip 3 spaces and work 1sc into 2nd ch of first dc post of row 2. TURN. (This completes fan 1)

Sounds like I'm doing the 5ch and joining it to the beginning of that fan. Or should there be a turn in there or is it the last DC post instead of the first one? I'm all cornfused. LOL The directions sound to me like I'm making it a circle and I know that's not right.

UPDATE:

OK, I figured it out - it was the first DC post of row 2 but I was thinking it was the last one because I was up another row, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I have it figured out now. Thanks again for setting me right! LOL ;)

The first DC post is the chain three that you used to start row 2. You should join your chain 5 into that 3rd chain of chain three.

In addition, you seem to have gone too far making your picots into the chain 1 spaces. If you had stopped with the one in the 11th space, and made your chain five it would be natural to join it in that ch3 starting post. you would then turn and begin the next steps

*a chain 3 shall be deemed to be a DC post no matter what it looks like to you or me :D

Archived