Fan Bookmark CAL (need help too Lol~)

Marlena

Adri that turned out well.

amala pert, this is one of the first patterns I ever wrote up. It was in my noggon for several years. If any one can think of an easier way to explain things, please let me know and I will update the pattern.

Cheerio!

Thanks to cupcake for creating/writing up this gorgeous pattern, and to Marlena for starting this CAL! I didn't post here before, but I just turned out my first bookmark. It was really easy once I got the first fan figured out. I still didn't understand the whole 'skip 3 spaces' thing, but I think I got things put in the correct general area :) I did mine in a variegated bright multicolor thread, and it turned out really cute. Not sophisticated like many of the examples so far, but I'm doing this for a teenager and thought it would be cute and happy-looking for her. I really like the cheery colors, and even got a 'wow' out of dh when he saw what I made! Ah, satisfaction ;)

Thanks again,

Tabby

I did a shorter version for my secret sister in MOPS. :) I had a few problems - couldn't find size 8 thread, even though I went to Michaels and Hobby Lobby. So I ended up using size 10. They don't have a lot of pretty verigated ones either. Where do you guys get the pretty stuff? LOL And I used a bigger hook than was called for but it was still pretty hard to keep the thread on the hook. But a 10 is smaller than 8, right? I've never used thread before for crochet so maybe it's just the medium itself that does that. Any advice is appreciated. ;) Here's what I did... it's a verigated ocean blues color but I have video card issues and can't tell if it's bright enough to see. LOL ANyway, I'm pretty proud of myself since I'm a beginner. :)

fanbookmark.JPG

It wasn't your directions. It was me. My first problem was that I did the picots all the way across that first row, instead of just doing 10 of them. That was probably where I really went wrong. LOL Then when you said, "first DC of last row", I was thinking it was across the fan but since we'd turned the work, it was the one under where I was currently working. Darski set me straight on that. The directions make perfect sense if you FOLLOW them. ROFL Thanks for a beautiful project! :)

I did a shorter version for my secret sister in MOPS. :) I had a few problems - couldn't find size 8 thread, even though I went to Michaels and Hobby Lobby. So I ended up using size 10. They don't have a lot of pretty verigated ones either. Where do you guys get the pretty stuff? LOL And I used a bigger hook than was called for but it was still pretty hard to keep the thread on the hook. But a 10 is smaller than 8, right? I've never used thread before for crochet so maybe it's just the medium itself that does that. Any advice is appreciated. ;) Here's what I did... it's a verigated ocean blues color but I have video card issues and can't tell if it's bright enough to see. LOL ANyway, I'm pretty proud of myself since I'm a beginner. :)

fanbookmark.JPG

You did an awsome job on them and should be proud. I've never worked w/ size 8 yarn and just used the 10 for it as well.

Now I am on the jealous side for the simple fact that the stores here do not have the since the stores here do not seem to have the ocean varigated size 10. And I LOVE blues. hmm.... might have to look into hunting the store managers down to order it. :think

Sandy

That looks fantastic. Because your thread sizes are different fron ours I have no idea what an 8 is...:lol

amalapert what a great job you did!! I love the colours. the shorter version looks good too.

Here where I am a size 8 thread is thicker that a 10. I think a 10 or even smaller would be indicated for putting inside a book.

Here's my first bookmark! I love this pattern. I made mine smaller also because all I had was #10 thread. Will have to look for something smaller. I would like to see it look more "dainty"

th_FanBookmark.jpg

Thanks Cupcake for the pattern! It's my favorite bookmark and I love reading your blog and your downunder expressions :ty

Sophie - I love those pinks! That was what I was looking for but had no luck. Thanks to everyone else for the encouragements! I think I'll use a bigger hook next time and see if I can do the full 8 of them. My eyes and fingers hurt so much at the end of the 5, I had to stop. lol Sandy, I found the blue at Hobby Lobby. You might check their website if you don't have one near you.

I wonder if a fabric store might have a bigger variety? Anyone know? I have JoAnn's and Hancock fabrics around here that I might need to check out.

<snip> Sandy, I found the blue at Hobby Lobby. You might check their website if you don't have one near you.

I wonder if a fabric store might have a bigger variety? Anyone know? I have JoAnn's and Hancock fabrics around here that I might need to check out.

locally we have Walmart, Jo-ann's, and K-mart (though K-mart is out of the way). There is a Hobby Lobby an hour East of me and an A.C. Moore about an hour north of me, and I have to be doing a work demo on the 14th and will go past the Hobby Lobby. Will check then. Thanks for the info, (sorry for the long response, lol. my typing reflects my thought insanity :D)

Sandy

Archived