Plus Size Patterns

kjdfairy2

I browsed through their pattern books that are for sale. It seems that most of the pattern books for women's patterns go up to a 5XL. They just don't go up to that size in the free ones.:think

I browsed through their pattern books that are for sale. It seems that most of the pattern books for women's patterns go up to a 5XL. They just don't go up to that size in the free ones.:think

That's probably because if somebody spends hours and hours and hours and hours on a nice design in SO many sizes, they can't justify offering it for free and decide to sell it to a pattern book. :)

I'll be the picky one here and say how most, if not all, of those patterns in that book would look awful on a plus size woman. A zigzag skirt?! My behind is big enough I don't need zigzags or stipes to accent that. The shrug and the cropped cardigan are both going to do the same, accent my rear and my fluffy tummy. I don't think I'd wear the tank, not that comfortable with my arms, however others might.

That leaves the long cardigan which really doesn't make it worth it, to me, to buy this booklet.

I appreciate the though in posting it though.

I'll be the picky one here and say how most, if not all, of those patterns in that book would look awful on a plus size woman. A zigzag skirt?! My behind is big enough I don't need zigzags or stipes to accent that. The shrug and the cropped cardigan are both going to do the same, accent my rear and my fluffy tummy. I don't think I'd wear the tank, not that comfortable with my arms, however others might.

That leaves the long cardigan which really doesn't make it worth it, to me, to buy this booklet.

I had the same reaction to those patterns. You can't just take any old pattern and upsize it. Those styles are just NOT flattering to a larger woman. There's got to be a compromise between looking fashionable but still flattering to a larger body.

Joan

I understand what you are saying. I am about a 2X and from that book, I would probably only make the tank and cardigan to go as a set. With my hips, I would definately never be able to pull off the skirts. But every body is different, maybe someone would look right in any of these.

But every body is different, maybe someone would look right in any of these.

Exactly. It also depends on how you're built. One sixe 2x will look completely different than another.

However I have my doubts that any of those would look good on a 5x.

I guess it's what you're comfortable with, though. ;)

Like I said, I do appreciate you letting us know because I had no idea until this thread. :)

I think all of those are just adorable! I wear about a size 14 and I love to wear more trendy clothes. I totally could see wearing the zig zag skirt layered under a jacket, I love tanks as I'm always too hot, (hot flashes) and the cropped cardigan wouldn't look that bad, atleast it's not a gathered in shrug, and I bet I could probably go a few more rounds to get it to hip length and I'd love it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was bought to this by this thread.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=457006#post457006

I agree with most of y'all. I don't think a tank top can fit this 4X figure. :blush Yet, I'd love a good sweater/pullover pattern for me. I crochet so much for others. I'd love to create something to wear for me.

Okay. Here's a thought:

If you can't hide it - Decorate it! :lol

I've gotten passed the, "I'm way too fluffy to wear that!" If I like it, I wear it. It's kind of liberating.

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda like the zigzag striped skirt (which may or may not look good on me but I've never been a good judge of such things)

The tank top I would make and then sew on some 3/4 length sheer bell sleeves in a coordinating color.

Now I'm almost tempted to buy a copy of the booklet. Bad Tania, doesn't need more patterns. Just bought a bunch off Annie's Attic recently.

Still thinking about it ...

Bad bad Tania.

Oh, and I'm in a 16w, so I'm not small, but I used to be a 24w so I've been bigger.

Archived