A roak for Colton/ Updated 2-7-07!! - AMI

KristieMN

Some of you may remember this origional thread.

We mailed off this package to Colton in the middle of July of '06.

I didnt actually know if he recieved it or not for quite some time, as I never heard anything.

When my oldest started school, Coltons mom is the councelor for 8th grade. I continued to send in small gifts for Colton. Bobbi told her he LOVED Momo... and all the other gifts he got.

I ran into her in late November. She told me that Momo was at the hospital with Colton. They kept it by him. When ever someone new came into his room, one of the first things they asked was "What is that??" They just replied "Its Momo" :lol

Moral of the story, even if you dont get a thank you, or hear anything about a ROAK, it rarely goes unappreciated.

They just had a story on our local news channel last night on Colton.

It was heart-breaking. I really had no idea how bad he was in the begining.

You can read the story here.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=5341BDF1019A8AD2CDC29C72A2C7238A?contentId=2298670&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

I also have to share another story with you.

I have mentioned many times that I supply my middle girls' school with prizes for their Accelerate Reading store.

One little girl bought a mouse at the store... last year. She was careful to keep it up on a shelf in her bedroom, so the dog couldnt chew it up.

Well, long story short, sounds like the cat might have knocked it off the shelf, and you guessed it, the dog chewed the eyes off!:(

She came and asked Libby if I could fix it.

After a short surgery, the mouse's eyes were replaced and I am happy to report, he can see again!:lol

I got a wonderful thank you note from this girl and her mom, thanking me.

This is why I love to share my crocheting with others!

Hi all!

Thought I would share with you what I have been working on non-stop.

The 8th grade councelor in my oldest daughers school has a 7 yr old in the hospital.:(

He is suffering from an unknown brain infection. They cant seem to figure out what exactly is wrong.

I cant imagine how frustrated his parents are!

Anyways, I went to the shawlministry site for ideas for a prayer shawl for mom. I made it in blue for her. I stitched a cross in the corner out of different colored beads. I put an explination of the significance of each color with it to.

Momo the octopus is Roxycrafts pattern.. (I LOVE how it turned out!) (VERY big octopus)

The striped bear is one I just made up for him.

I sure hope he likes them!

colton.jpg

What a wonderful,thoughtful, collection. I like the idea of doing the beaded color cross on the shawl's corner. Is it like the colored beaded bracelets ie; green is new life etc.? They are each beautiful-but the Octopus is my favorite. He looks very jolly.

It is so touching and meaningful when crocheting for someone ill. Especially a child..... love that MOMO the octopus....So, I am sure he will too! The bear and blankie are also super...But that Octopus is the Greatest! Hope the little guy gets better real soon! By The Way...This is the first I have heard of different colored beads meaning different things on the prayer shawls and blankies....would you elaborate??? The small cross on the corner of the Blankie is a wonderful addition!

By The Way...This is the first I have heard of different colored beads meaning different things on the prayer shawls and blankies....would you elaborate??? The small cross on the corner of the Blankie is a wonderful addition!

It is a prayer shawl actually.:)

I found the different meanings for the colors here...

http://www.shawlministry.com/color_chart.htm

I couldnt figure out just one color that I wanted for her. So many fit for her situation.

I am glad you like the goodies!

• 2 weeks later...
:bump How is the 7 year old doing? Did he like his care package? It was such a special gift.

Stitchinpick

I honestly havent heard anything about the package.

I have confirmation it was delivered though.

His parents are extremely busy right now.

He is doing better it seems. He is learning how to swallow.

They figured out he has an autoimune response to Strep.

It basically took his ability to speak, walk, eat, even swallow his own saliva. :( I read his progress daily on his Caring Bridge web site.

He is taking little baby steps towards his recovery!

Thank you so much for asking!

Adorable - all. I particularly love the octopus, he has such a friendly huggable look to him. I hope the family is doing ok. You are so thoughful.

• 6 months later...

That's awesome Kristie!

That's also one of the reasons I crochet - I can come up with personal, one-of-a-kind gifts that mean a lot to the recipient. If I can make someone smile by using my hook, I'm there!

I admire your tireless work and your giving spirit - May it inspire many to do the same!

Thanks for sharing!

Archived