I don't know where to put this

Ok so yeah I want to learn more than just the granny square which is really easy for me even just the regular crocheting is hard for me but not the granny square I picked it up with in 1 hour So I was wondering If any body could give me some tips on practicing with out getting frastrated to the point on burning the yarn. I also know that its not all easy.

I think all of the work Ive seen on here is AMAZING I can only dream of getting that good. I mean I'm 15 but I watched my grandmother crochet when I was 3 and I don't know if thats why I picked up the granny square so quickly or not.

Well any one that can give some advice please do.

-mary

If you would like to do a few small projects to learn some new stitches you could try making dishcloths. here is a link for them:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php

If you go to:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/

They have a section for free patterns of all kinds, and a helpful guide as well. Check it out and see what you think. You may find it helpful and useful. I go there a lot for patterns.

I would paste links, but for some reason, my computer is acting up tonight. If you google the term "how to read crochet patterns", you will get lots of pages that will explain the basics to you in plain English. I have been crocheting for agout a year and a half or so, and that is still a huge hurdle for me. If you find a pattern for something that interests you and get stuck, come here and ask about it. Someone will be glad to help you.:)

Maybe if you could go to a class at a local yarn shop or even a place like Michael's or JoAnne's has inexpensive classes... perhaps you're a 'visual learner' and that's why you learned so easily from watching your grandmother... maybe if someone could just show you those first few steps on following patterns it would 'click'!

Good luck!

hi mary, and welcome to the village. i teach crochet at joann fabrics here in washington and i would love to try and help you. one way to learn new stitches is to practic the "old stitch. one of the most used stitches is the double crochet stitch which you use when you make the granny square. what you could do it chain abut 25, then in the 4th ch from hook, do one of those double crochets, then go forward in each ch and do a dc, when you get to the end of the row, chain 3 more then in the 2nd st from your hook, do another dc and down that row . repeat it till its long enough soon you will have a sq made with dc, once you have that down, pm me and i will try and help you do some new stitches and we can work on your learning to crochet with different stitches. :hug :hug

I used to have problems reading patterns aswell...even now I have to read things like 4 times before I get it and do it right lol but when I don't understand a stitch I always ask on here and ppl really do help you out ALOT you should just try and pick a pattern and if there is anything you don't understand then you can just go to the Crochet Help thread and ask for help there they really will help you!...and when I don't know a stitch I usually go to THIS site because I'm a visual learner aswell and need to see videos to get it :) and the site also has loadsa of other help topics and great info...plus free patterns!:yay

Mary, if you do end up picking a small project to try from an online free pattern, I'm sure many people here would help you figure out how to interpret the instructions. You can give us the link to the pattern, tell us what row you're having trouble on, and we can try to help you out.

You might even want to try one of the free little amigurumi animal patterns that KristieMN has posted here. If you want to use one of Kristie's patterns, we'll ask her if she minds if we have a thread where we're helping you interpret her instructions if you have any questions.

Thank you every one and yes I am a visual learning always have been but once I get something down from seeing it I know how to do it forever so yeah. Hopefully I can go to my local michaels when I get home. I just get confused when they tell you to go right and left and stuff. well any ways thank you all for the support byebye

-mary

• 2 weeks later...
Thats the only thing I don't understand patterns.....thats the other reason I'm asking for help

Try StitchGuide.com they have all kinds of stitches and even show little vidios of them being done. It sounds like you need to watch something being done to get it. It takes awhile to learn to read patterns. You can also get books with pictures as well as the words. That's how I got started (had no internet 30+ years ago). Good luck :cheer

Ellie 13

• 2 years later...

This may sound silly but when i first got into crochet, i had a notebook where i wrote out the patterens i was working on longhand..ie. instead of dc i wrote out double crochet. I still use that notebook as it contains some of my favorite quick patterns and it also shows my progress as i used more and more abreviations as i was copying them.

I learned most of the stitches from watching youtube. Since I'm a left hander I can usually find a video of someone showing the stitch with their left.

A couple months ago all I could do is chain, sc, dc and make a granny. Now LOOK OUT! The wonderful people on this board taught me to read patterns. :hug

:turtle:vheart

Hello Mary, congratulations on mastering the granny square and best wishes as you expand your crochet horizons! I don't know if this will help, but in trying to assist my MIL with reading patterns, I found it helpful to point out how important it is to pay attention to the punctuation in the directions of any project.

Pay particular attention to the commas. Obvious, I know, but some beginners might forget to "pause" at each comma (,) while reading/interpreting a pattern's directions. Those commas are important, breaking down each row into small(er) steps.

Also, note that whatever direction immediately follows a set of brackets "[ ]" usually indicates how many times you have to perform what is included within the brackets...i.e. [dc, ch1, dc in next stitch] 5 times...indicates the specific stitches you will work in each of the next 5 stitches.

The same thing with whatever lies between the "*"...After initially following the directions between the "*", you will be instructed to, for example, repeat that particular section until you reach the end of the row....

I hope this helps some, Mary, rather than muddy the waters. Stick with it and things will get so much easier :yes...Practice, practice!

I have done that, but there come a message, there were no page selected?

I am sorry but I don't know what this means. :think

What did you do?

.download and install the adobe reader

. download the pattern

. open the pattern

Which part of this did not work?

... It will help me to help you if you can be more specific :hug

Archived